By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for WALLACE

Here is a list of all the postings WALLACE has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Woodwork Router Advice
06/03/2015 09:53:23
Axminster !

Hadn't thought of them !!

Basically, I need to fit new doors and frames - so it's locks, hinges and probably tenon joints or biscuits for the frame transoms.

Unfortunately, they're not standard sizes so it's going to have to be diy or lodsa money.

I bought a big one a few years ago for a kitchen worktop but have kept it in its box ever since as it scares me ... there's something about it not being bolted down - at least on my lathe I'm not relying on just muscle power to hold the headstock in place when taking a cut - it's very firmly bolted to the bed !!

Anyway - thanks all for the quick replies !

W.
06/03/2015 07:45:31
Hello all.

I'm sorry to blaspheme on this site - but I think I will need to shortly do some 'woodwork' !

Can anyone recommend a good book -specifically on use of a router ?

There's lots of help pages and videos around but I'd like something I can flick through and doesn't require plugging in....should also add that it's for 12 inches to the foot modelling - it's for new door frames in the flat...

Thanks.

W.
Thread: Washers (History)
28/02/2015 01:18:14
The Titanic watch reminds me of the ashtrays that occasionally turn up 'made from metal from the airship R101'

As a goodly number of the bodies recovered from the crash wreckage were burnt beyond recognition, an ashtray seems hardly appropriate. ..

W.
Thread: Using 3D prints for casting
21/02/2015 17:30:05
Hello Bob.

Thanks for the reply - I'm still impressed by the castings however they were done !

Presumably its easy enough to print out the pattern slightly larger to take shrinkage into account as well ?

W.
20/02/2015 22:01:23
Hello Bob.

Wrt to the castings - they look very clean and tidy. This is probably a silly question but I can't see any signs of risers or sprues on them - any idea on how they were cast ?

Thanks.

W.
Thread: Parting Off MEW225
20/02/2015 10:04:40
I've seen a commercial one years ago on a stall at the MEE at Olympia. Definitely swan necked and also odd that it used a disc of ( presumably ) HSS with a segment cut out of it - not the usual long blade.

I was tempted but the thought of sourcing replacement cutters put me off...

W.
Thread: Traction Engines in WW1
19/02/2015 19:30:18
Now I know !

Thanks !!

W.
19/02/2015 19:16:32
Watching the clip made me wonder if traction engines have differentials ...

Do they ??

W.
16/02/2015 20:27:33
I haven't thought about it too much ... but... I wonder if some of the 'angst' with parting off with a Myford is due to it being a plain lathe I.e. without prismatic guides ?

Would the various resultant forces on the tool post when parting off be any different with or without them ?

W.
16/02/2015 12:09:30
Also... a sharp tool !

I used to sharpen my blades very crudely on a bench grinder - hand held as well...

Parting off become a lot less stressful when I started to grind them up properly !

W.
Thread: Rust Treatment
15/02/2015 17:21:57
If you have a compressor, I'd use a small sandblasting gun. In my experience ( Lancia - need I say more ?! ), rust killers just slifhtly prolong the time for it to bubble through again - sandblasting kills it dead. It also gives a good finish for primer to adhere to.

Unfortunately, it usually uncovers a lot more rust than you were expecting - and if you're a but too enthusiastic, can blow holes in rust weakened panels...

W.
14/02/2015 05:44:45
....best option I've found is to just use a hacksaw.....

W
Thread: oiling the cross slide
08/01/2015 15:13:19
I've sometimes thought about adding oiling points onto the cross slide of my Harrison which is similarly devoid of them. Would it be a good idea to mill a narrow channel to spread the oil evenly and act as a reservoir - and would a 'diagonal' one be best to cover as much of the sliding surface as possible (without going right to the edge ) ? Obviously I wouldn't want it any bigger than necessary to avoid increasing the wear on the remaining metal....

W. Edited for spell check getting ideas of its own....

Edited By WALLACE on 08/01/2015 15:15:25

Edited By WALLACE on 08/01/2015 15:16:28

Thread: Questions on an Electronics Expert
26/12/2014 15:55:10
Wrt to 2 - someone with a bit of experience would get a fairly food idea on the type - and if a power tranny - the wattage or 'VA' just just by looking at it - a 50VA transformer for example, is pretty much the same size as any other 50VA one. The primary and secondary windings I would identify and quantify by using a meter and 'Variac' - that's probably a little too dangerous if you have limited experience with messing about with potentially lethal mains voltages.

W.
26/12/2014 15:25:22
Don't forget there's going to be a 0.7v drop across each diode....

There's a very good freebie programme - Google 'PSU Designer'that can simulate simple power supply circuits.

W.
Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
25/12/2014 19:44:53
Ate far too much !

W.
Thread: Problem with Single Phase Hoover AC Motor
22/12/2014 12:57:19
I seem to remember there was a previous post regarding a Hoover motor with perished rubber interior wiring so a rewire job may be on the cards as well to keep it safe !

W.
Thread: Who might have made this?
10/12/2014 10:06:31
I could have done with something like this a few days ago when adapting a light to take a GU10 bulb...

A brief look with a rule gave the impression the bulb holder fixing screws where 12mm apart - the poor fit and a search on the net showed they should have been 12.1 !

W.
Thread: LEDs ... The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
10/12/2014 09:52:23
I feel your pain. I had a couple of expensive professional audio recorders trashed at work due to so called 'leak proof' batteries ozing nasties everywhere

Even though they self discharge in about 6 months, I use Nimh rechargeables on everything of value these days at home !

W

Ps - scope pics of the led bulbs running of ac in my album !

29/11/2014 22:35:27
Hi Michael.

Scope pics will be posted when I return to civilisation....

Briefly, both lights use MC34063 regulators. There's a lot more supply ripple on the 3 led one - but it does take more current at 500ma compared to the 60 led one at 365 ma. This was at 12v ac measured with a 'true RMS' digital meter.

Probably more to the point, the 60 led bulb has 2 x 470uF smoothing capacitors, the 3 led one only a single 220uF.

Not the thing you'd really be able to tell unless you pull or rather smash them open unfortunately !

W.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate