Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Number Drill Sets & Ba Tap sets

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Deltic00711/12/2011 21:11:01
131 forum posts
12 photos
Hi,

Loking to buy some number drills and BA Tap/Die sets,Loads out there but any pointers to a good quality reasonable price UK supplier.

Thanks in advance

Edited By Hirstyboy on 11/12/2011 21:11:22

Deltic00711/12/2011 21:11:40
131 forum posts
12 photos
Hi,
Loking to buy some number drills and BA Tap/Die sets,Loads out there but any pointers to a good quality reasonable price UK supplier.
Thanks in advance
Mike Wainwright11/12/2011 21:20:24
149 forum posts
8 photos
I have just bought some BA taps and dies from RDG Tools. Good quality and reasonable price.

You can get 5% discount if you order on line once you have placed your first order.
Deltic00711/12/2011 21:21:32
131 forum posts
12 photos
Thanks Mike.

I saw those,Are they HSS?
MAC11/12/2011 21:27:54
68 forum posts
Hi. When I started out in the hobby a couple of years ago I bought myself several "sets", including drills and taps/dies. It was a mistake.

You would be better off simply buying the drill sizes and taps/dies you need - but buying better quality. I would say 80% of my drills and taps that came as part of a set have not yet been used.

That's what I'd do anyway.

Cheers.
Mike Wainwright11/12/2011 21:34:04
149 forum posts
8 photos
I agree MAC. All you get when you buy sets is bad quality die holders and tap wrenches and taps and dies you will never use. You never use all the taps and dies. It's better to look at teh drawings and buy the sizes you need.

I did buy a full set of imperial, number and letter drills but that was because they were on offer at screwfix at the time.
Deltic00711/12/2011 21:35:13
131 forum posts
12 photos
Think you have made my mind up guys!

Thanks
David Littlewood11/12/2011 22:26:56
533 forum posts
I would put forward a slightly different view. When I was starting out in the 80s I bought sets of taps and dies from Tracy tools. These were mostly carbon steel, but also mostly from reputable manufacturers. They served me well, but when the odd one got broken or wore out I would usually replace them with top quality new ones. That way you find out what you really use, but don't pay a fortune for a set of which many never, or hardly ever, get used. Tracy still have similar sets for £20 (taps) and £22 (dies); obviously I can't say whether the quality is the same as the one I bought all those years ago, but they are still in business. I see they now sell HSS sets at about twice the price. The sets have 11 sizes, 0 to 10 BA; if you want the smaller ones you will have to buy them as extras.

As for number drills, I bought a set of those many years ago, but if I could probably count the number of times I have used them on the fingers of one hand. They are rather an abomination, with totally inconsistent gaps between the sizes. I find a metric set - or rather two sets, 1.0 - 6.0 and 6.0 - 10.0 x 0.1 mm, serves virtually every need. The same pretty well goes for the letter drill set and the imperial set I have, the only virtue of the latter being that it goes up to 1/2" (12.7 mm) so extends the range a bit.

David
Martin Walsh 112/12/2011 01:01:19
113 forum posts
2 photos
I really reccomend the tap and die co based in North London
www.tap-die.com They are very good quality
and will last a long time they do any thread size you could think of
even acme and lefthand threads. their box sets are very reasonablely priced
Best Wishes Martin

Tel12/12/2011 03:29:41
157 forum posts
28 photos
Don't get too hung up on HSS either - a good quality carbon tap will beat them hollow.
David Littlewood12/12/2011 13:29:30
533 forum posts
Tel,

You make a good point. The advantage of HSS for taps is that they are produced by grinding of the hard material, and are more accurate. CS taps are produced by cutting and then hardening, and may show some distortion (though from reputable manufacturers this should not be the case). In contrast, CS taps are (1) cheaper, (2) harder, and (3) can be softened by heat if you break one in the hole.

David
gerry madden12/12/2011 15:02:59
331 forum posts
156 photos
Taps and dies supplied by one source (if my memory is correct) are claimed to be made in "HQS" (high quality steel?). Does anyone know what material specification is actually used ?

Gerry
NJH12/12/2011 15:32:37
2314 forum posts
139 photos
I agree with David

I assume that, as you are looking at BA sizes, your projects are on the smaller side. If this is the case I would buy a set of metric drills 1mm - 6mm x 0.1 mm in a metal case. I doubt that with these you will need number drills in that range. The price of these sets is variable ( £25 ish upwards) which should cover many requirements. When individual drills break / wear out just replace those. When you only buy one or two the higher quality items are not so painful!
For BA threading, as a starter, - 0, 2,4,6 & 8 should cover it . Carbon steel is OK - reasonably priced and can be replaced if you find heavy use for any particular size.
(I have need for 10 & 12 BA on a current project and for these I have gone for HSS - but at a price!!)

Regards

Norman

Edited By NJH on 12/12/2011 15:33:56

Billy Mills12/12/2011 17:12:58
377 forum posts
Would agree with David and Norman, buy a cheap set of metric drills 1-6 by 0.1 to start then replace the blunt/broken ones with quality European drills as needed.
The far eastern sets are very cheap and convenient from almost anywhere however as you progress you will appreciate the accuracy of the more expensive products and will only need to spend just as much as needed to top up the set.

Numbers and letters are pretty oddball these days, might be one of those things that sit on the shelf- apart from the sub 1mm sizes - although there is no great problem in buying small metric drills. The 0.1mm steps differ by roughly 0.004" which is good enough for most jobs, the others you ream or bore anyway.

I don't bother sharpening smaller drills - just replace with a good brand drill. One point -discussed at lenth elsewhere- is to check tapping drill sizes, slightly larger than dead tight is a very good idea, it does not weaken the thread significantly but greatly reduces the risk of tap breakage.

Billy.
PS measuring the shanks of the cheap imports can be interesting and explains their price.
KWIL12/12/2011 17:21:48
3681 forum posts
70 photos
Greenwood Tools sell individual Dormer drills and the prices are fair. I use the PS2 style because they are self centering.

K
Brian Dickinson12/12/2011 17:23:01
62 forum posts
13 photos

They offer carbon and high speed
Martin Walsh 112/12/2011 17:23:20
113 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by gerry madden on 12/12/2011 15:02:59:
Taps and dies supplied by one source (if my memory is correct) are claimed to be made in "HQS" (high quality steel?). Does anyone know what material specification is actually used ?

Gerry

I think the term HQS is that the tap is made out of the highest quality C45 Carbon steel
Best Wishes Martin

Gone Away13/12/2011 00:36:18
829 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by gerry madden on 12/12/2011 15:02:59:

Sounds like a typical Far-East euphemism to me.
Dusty13/12/2011 09:28:15
498 forum posts
9 photos
On the contrary Sid. This is a British Company who claim that the taps and dies are manufactured in the U.K. I have used their tools for more years than I care to remember and have no complaints.
S.D.L.13/12/2011 09:29:24
236 forum posts
37 photos
The HQS source is here,
I have asked them what it is as i had not heard of it elsewhere.

Steve Larner

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate