Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Remote control for 3 phase inverter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
The Merry Miller18/10/2011 10:57:51
484 forum posts
97 photos

I have obtained an Omron 3G3MV 3 phase inverter and I would like to make a remote control pendant or suchlike to interface with it.

Are there any forum members out there who may have carried out this mod. whose brains I may be able to pick.

Len.P.

KWIL18/10/2011 11:17:27
3681 forum posts
70 photos
Len

Have you got the manual? This gives the diagram for the remote and what switches you will need to set up. Most Inverters have a similar control circuit ( I have four ) and there is no real differences between the manufacturers.

Gavin Osman advertises these inverters on www.homeworkshop.org.uk and no doubt he could help as well.

K
The Merry Miller18/10/2011 11:36:24
484 forum posts
97 photos

Hi Kwil,

I have just downloaded a short manual and also the quick start guide.

The inverter arrived this morning and hopefully the Marelli 3 phase motor this afternoon.

I will now study the manual and see whats going on.

Len. P.

joegib18/10/2011 12:35:37
154 forum posts
18 photos
Here's a neat VFD remote control diagram posted here by David Thomas 6:

Joe
The Merry Miller18/10/2011 13:01:15
484 forum posts
97 photos

Well the Marelli motor has just arrived, took it out of the box, lovely colour!, i'ts going back tomorrow, they have sent the wrong one.

Len.P.

Stub Mandrel16/06/2013 21:12:03
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

I'm soon to be wiring up a pendant for a jaguar cub motor.

My reading is that I need (aside from eth speed control pot):

red stop button - momentary switch wired to one of X1-3 programmed as 'coast to stop'

Toggel switch jog/normal wired to one of X1-3 programmed as 'Jog mode'

Toggle switch fwd-off-rvs the common terminal wired to CM via a momentary green start switch

I am I correct that programming the 3-wire 'hold mode' this will allow the green start switch to activate fwd or rvs until the red switch is pressed?

Thanks

Neil

David Jupp16/06/2013 22:21:56
978 forum posts
26 photos

Neil - that doesn't sound quite right -

Fwd-off-rvs, if wired via momentary start p/b, then the 'off' of the 3 position switch can't do anything (except act as a disable).

Not familiar with the Jaguar - some inverters offer more than one switching mode dependent on how you want to control it.

One that I use here is set to mimic a NVR contactor behaviour (3 wire mode) - n/o button to start, n/c button (and any interlock switches) to stop. The same inverter can also be set to have a single contact - closed for run, open for stop (2 wire mode). On my drive, fwd/rev is done via a simple on/off toggle switch, as is jog mode.

Mine is not a Jaguar drive though - so the handbook should be your ultimate guide.

Chris Heapy17/06/2013 00:19:44
209 forum posts
144 photos

Sounds a bit complicated, both mine have simply a 3-position switch (Fwd, Stop, Rev) and a pot for speed. That's it.

Chris

Brian O'Connor17/06/2013 12:25:11
74 forum posts
19 photos

I'm afraid that I'm unable to help Len P, but for Neil here is the circuit diagram of the remote pendant that I made for my Jaguar Cub VFD. In addition to the usual switches and a 5K pot you will need a 24v single-pole relay.

Come to think of it, perhaps Len can rig up something similar for his VFD.

Brian

Brian O'Connor17/06/2013 12:44:27
74 forum posts
19 photos

This crappy website strikes again. I have tried opening the image in my above post and find that I am unable to, so presumably no-one else can either. I put it there by pasting the image from the clipboard. When creating the posting the only way that I could view what I had pasted was to click on the icon, select copy and then paste into a blank document, but once posted clicking on it has no effect.

Does anyone know how to get round the problem? I have the diagram as a Word document and as a PDF. If all else fails I could always send it to anyone interested via a PM.

Brian

The Merry Miller17/06/2013 13:58:29
484 forum posts
97 photos

Hi Brian,

The remote unit I built many moons ago now is fitted to the right hand side of my Tom Senior M1 mill.

I did post images of it on this site but I can't locate them now, not even in my albums.

As a matter of interest many years ago when I was designing control panels for aircraft and ships we had procedures and ergonomics to consider that were laid down in Def-Standards (MOD were hot on this).

Most parameters, like to increase a function's value, a control dial was rotated in a clockwise direction, to decrease one would turn the dial anti-clockwise.

This, most of us see as commense sense.

What makes me wince is when I see switches labeled up such that to operate REVERSE, the switch lever moves from left to right and vice versa when good ergonomics dictates that when selecting FORWARD, the switch lever should move from left to right.

You even see this on proprietary gear being sold.

I know a lot of you would say, what the hell does it matter.

I say it's just a matter of good engineering design.

Anyway that's my grouse for today.

Love to you all!!!

Len. P.

OuBallie17/06/2013 14:21:08
1181 forum posts
669 photos

Len P,

You have two Left to Rights, or I'm missing something.

Geoff - Good day out yesterday.

The Merry Miller17/06/2013 14:40:27
484 forum posts
97 photos

Possibly Oub!

Len.P.

frank brown17/06/2013 17:21:41
436 forum posts
5 photos

This lefthanded/righthanded business caused the Three Mile Island nuclear accident. The two adjacent control boards for the two reactors were mirror images of each other. The staff had actually put coke cans and tennis balls over the levers to differentiate between them!!!

Frank

Stub Mandrel17/06/2013 18:06:51
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

It seems that different inverters have very different controls. Brian - I've sent you a PM with my email thanks for the offer!

I do wonder if a relay will be needed.

Thanks

Neil

Bazyle17/06/2013 18:15:05
6956 forum posts
229 photos

It all starts to go wrong with them furriners who think up = on

OuBallie18/06/2013 09:43:58
1181 forum posts
669 photos

Oops!

I've just read Len.P.'s post again about ledt ro right, and I misread it.
Just not paying attention and brain refusing to co-operate again.
Nothing unusual then for me lately
Geoff - More office work today.
Brian O'Connor18/06/2013 10:12:10
74 forum posts
19 photos

Neil,

I have sent you the circuit diagram of my Jaguar remote pendant via email. The relay is there as a safety device. When the Start button is pressed the relay operates and holds itself on, maintaining the power to the machine. If power is lost the relay drops out and the machine can only be started again once power is restored by pressing the Start button. Without the relay, if power is lost and the operator forgets to switch off, then when power is restored the machine will start on its own, just as one's grandson is saying "What's that bit for, Grandad?"

Stub Mandrel18/06/2013 13:53:50
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

Hi Brian,

Thanks, email recieved.

> When power is restored the machine will start on its own, just as one's grandson is saying

I think you have to conciously set one of the parameters to allow the motor to self-start, but the arrangement I was hoping for would require the start button to be pushed too.

Belt and braces does no harm!

Neil;

Stub Mandrel22/06/2013 21:35:48
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

Well I've got a pendant that will start and run forward or reverse, but I can't get the hold function to work. It just coasts to a stop whenever I release the start button.

A 'John S.' has offered sage advice here : **LINK** in the past, but I'm still struggling. If its 'our John S.' I fear he is on holiday...

Has anyone got this to work?

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate