Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Adcock Shipley 1ES

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jason evans25/08/2023 06:02:31
69 forum posts
16 photos

Hi

Just got a deal on an Adcock Shipley 1ES mill. It is 3 phase with work light and coolant pump. After advice on best way to power it from 240v whilst keeping all original switches working as well as the light and coolant.

thanks

jay

Buffer25/08/2023 09:24:38
430 forum posts
171 photos

I have a transwave rotary converter that runs off single phase and I can now power anything three phase with an extension lead. Only down side for me was the initial  cost and it is a bit noisy so you do have to switch on and off as needed. 

Edited By Buffer on 25/08/2023 09:27:16

Chris Evans 625/08/2023 11:42:11
2156 forum posts

I run my lathe from a Transwave static inverter, it is OK but I wish I had spent the money and gone the rotary route.

jason evans25/08/2023 11:55:19
69 forum posts
16 photos

Thanks guys. Had a quick look at rotary converters and they are a bit pricey but if it does what I want.

so can multiple machines be run at the same time with them, and with the AS, coolant motor run with drive motor at same time?

Nigel McBurney 125/08/2023 12:56:49
1101 forum posts
3 photos

I would go for a rotary converter , though they can be noisy though it was made by a "cottage industry " one man band though a rotary from a major manufacture may be quieter,I got over the noise irritation by mounting the motor in the converter set up in the shed next door to my workshop,so the set up on my elliott 00 omnimill is vertical head driven by Newton Tesla inverter and the suds pump,table feed ,and 2 hp horizontal spindle driven by the rotary converter. The reason I do not drive the the vertical head was that the mill (a gift) came with a very rough 3000 rpm single phase motor which quickly failed so I had to replace the motor ,so it was a choice of a new 3 phase motor which can expensive if a decent one is required or pay out some extra cash for an inverter drive,which considering i did not pay for the mill was still a good deal. So your Adcock and Shipley should run ok on a rotary converter.The rotary is also used to power a Meddings drill ,cutter grinder and large bandsaw without any problems. Now I also have a lathe with 5 hp 3 phase motor plus suds pump, as it was too large for my 4 hp rotary I aquired a Transwave static from a which was about to go into a skip, now this converter drives the lathe ok though I feel from previous experience of years past that I do not get the full power from the motor, the suds pump only workd when main motor runs. So a static inverterwould no doubt work ok provided the smaller motors for feed and lubrication only run when the main motor is running, if funds permit I would go for a rotary with a decent amount of extra capacity,you never know you may buy at a later stage a larger machine, I got things wrong and bought a larger Colchester triumph 2000 with 7 hp motor ,so bought another cheepo static converter which I converted to a rotary by adding a 3 phase slave motor. I did find a problem with the larger converter in that the surface finish was at times poor,initially I put this down to" Oh dear " perhaps in stronger language are the spindle bearings worn, waited until I had a job on the lathe where there was a slightly wavy finish and I mean slight but annoying so I bodged up a drive using a 3 hp single phase motor and the lathe turned perfectly ,so the fault was the converty electric supply ths is when I added the slave motor the finish improved and further improved when I changed the motor from one with an aluminium casing to one with a cast iron casing which made the finish better so I managed with this arrangement . So buy a converter from a decent up market manufacturer,( eg Transwave) preferably a rotary. Some friends who ran a steel fabrication busines some years ago bought an electronic converter but this was expensive though the cost was a justifiable expense.

Buffer25/08/2023 17:29:12
430 forum posts
171 photos

You can run multiple motors up to the limits that they discuss on their web site. Not sure why you would want to run multiple machine.

AJAX25/08/2023 18:13:03
433 forum posts
42 photos
Posted by jason evans on 25/08/2023 06:02:31:

Hi

Just got a deal on an Adcock Shipley 1ES mill. It is 3 phase with work light and coolant pump. After advice on best way to power it from 240v whilst keeping all original switches working as well as the light and coolant.

thanks

jay

I have the same milling machine, with a vertical head. You can run the coolant pump from a single phase supply with the addition of a capacitor. I ripped out the electrics from around the back of the machine, fitted an electrical enclosure, and installed a VFD. This is the cheapest and most flexible option.

not done it yet25/08/2023 21:24:39
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Jason, you will have a PM shortly.

noel shelley25/08/2023 22:33:34
2308 forum posts
33 photos

I use a transwave static for my small 3 phase, Big stuff I use the diesel Genny. No messing with star to Delta and problems with switch gear Etc. Just plug and play ! Noel.

jason evans26/08/2023 13:57:01
69 forum posts
16 photos

Thanks all. So with a static, would it be ok running the motor and the coolant at same time?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate