Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Dore Westbury mk2 alternative

Other milling mc which are equvalent

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
PutneyChap07/06/2023 14:14:03
15 forum posts

I have been looking to buy a dore Westbury mk2. It's not too big or heavy and will be fine for the light work I need it for. I am still waiting for one to come up. Is there an equivalent vertical mill in terms of flexibility and size that would be worth considering as an alternative?

noel shelley07/06/2023 14:31:25
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Why are you looking for a DW Mk2 specifically? I take it you do not wish to entertain any of the far eastern offerings ? There are numerous small machines about Tom senior, centec,Myford, Amolco stand alone or the lathe mounted version. Good luck, Noel.

PutneyChap07/06/2023 14:47:24
15 forum posts

Open to suggestions. It's the small weight with the flexibility I am looking for. Far east imports are not ruled out. Centec 2a with vertical head is the max weight. I did have access to a mk2 so know.its capabilities While it can't take a heavy cut for the table size and column height verses it's weight it was a winner for me. The ability to shift it about in a confined space workshop is key

Dave Halford07/06/2023 19:01:21
2536 forum posts
24 photos

There's a Centec 2A horizontal on ebay and also a vertical head from Heritage lathes on ebay right now

SillyOldDuffer07/06/2023 19:25:38
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Can you be specific about your weight and size restrictions? 10 years since I saw a Dore Westbury, didn't pay it much attention because I'm suspicious of round columns, and my memory is terrible! Vaguely remember it being on the small side but probably too heavy to lift on my own - could be wrong. I've no idea how heavy a Centec 2a with a vertical head is. Also, what's the special flexibility needed that other small mills can't do?

Popular machines in their day but they stopped making Dore Westburys about 25 years ago. I guess most purchasers back then thought Far Eastern mills were better value for money?

If a Dore Westbury doesn't come up, there are various ways of moving stuff in a small workshop that might allow a heavier machine to be substituted: stands with castors, slides, overhead hoists etc. Might be worth opening up options by asking that question as well.

Dave

Brian Wood08/06/2023 08:51:22
2742 forum posts
39 photos

There is a Mk I for sale on the sales page for the Forum at £650 which seems to be the going rate

Brian

not done it yet08/06/2023 09:24:19
7517 forum posts
20 photos

I’ve no idea of the capacity and capabilities of the DW.

My smaller mill is a Raglan which I am very pleased to own and use. Myford Boy (‘engine builder’ on here) has made loads of youtube videos where the Raglan is seen in use.

Hollowpoint08/06/2023 09:25:23
550 forum posts
77 photos

How about a Hobbymat milling machine? About the same price, size and weight (probably) of a Dore Westbury.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate