By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for PutneyChap

Here is a list of all the postings PutneyChap has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dore Westbury mk2 alternative
07/06/2023 14:47:24

Open to suggestions. It's the small weight with the flexibility I am looking for. Far east imports are not ruled out. Centec 2a with vertical head is the max weight. I did have access to a mk2 so know.its capabilities While it can't take a heavy cut for the table size and column height verses it's weight it was a winner for me. The ability to shift it about in a confined space workshop is key

07/06/2023 14:14:03

I have been looking to buy a dore Westbury mk2. It's not too big or heavy and will be fine for the light work I need it for. I am still waiting for one to come up. Is there an equivalent vertical mill in terms of flexibility and size that would be worth considering as an alternative?

Thread: Herbert Junior Surface Grinder.
21/05/2023 14:50:54

Old thread but I am buying a herbert junior. Has anyone got a manual for it?? How high is it and where can you sling it? I need to lift and shift it.

Thread: Myford levelling on industrial stand
16/05/2023 09:01:50

Just bought a super 7 on the industrial stand from the classifieds here. It has raising blocks on the tray. Currently the lathe is bolted straight through to the blocks below. It's slightly twisted. Should I be buying jacks or shimming?

Thread: Raglan 5 cross slide replacement
02/05/2023 22:31:43

Considering a raglan 5. But it has a short cross slide. Anyone replaced one with an extended one? Also the belt for the drive. Any advice on that? Possibly remotor with a vfd? I know there are raglan fans here. They seem better value than a myford...... But want to be clear about any known issues.....

Thread: Boxford STS 10-30 lathe manual?
03/08/2021 12:21:33

I managed to download the pdf, thanks for the link. I will check out the 3rd oiler point.

29/07/2021 18:23:26

Perfect - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

28/07/2021 13:24:58

acquired a Boxford sts 10 30, looking for a manual anyone have a pdf they could share?

Thread: BLDC motor and controller for mill
25/06/2020 16:34:11

I am re motoring a BCA mini jig borer. Looking at a 500watt BLDC motor and controller. Anyone got a suitable motor and controller combo they can point me to? It's the same as the modern mini lathes use.

Thread: Myford super 7 long bed stiffness
04/05/2018 10:15:38

OK - thanks for the confirmation. I have just bought a super 7 bed (only the bed) (long) - the increased depth will indeed make it much stiffer.

Thread: Boxford STS 10 30 weights
30/04/2018 11:32:13

Getting one of these on a cabinet. Anyone got the weights? - preferably with the cabinet separated. I am going to take the tailstock off - and, may wind the carriage off as well, plus take the motor off. Hoping that will bring it down to 200kg - which is manageable for me. - its the long bed model - but if anyone has the standard bed weight - that would be good - there won't be too much difference.

Thread: Myford super 7 long bed stiffness
23/04/2018 21:11:12
Is the long bed version deeper or more webbed than the standard version, or, is it the standard version with the middle ways lengthened. Getting conflicting information. I would hope it is a different and more reinforced casting.
Thread: ML10 topslide - is it compatible with ML7 or Super 7
12/04/2018 10:52:53

Looking at the specifications for both (swing over cross slide) the difference is 4mm, which you might expect ML10 == 3 1/4 inch centre height, verse 3/1/2. It implies that the cross slide depth is the same for both.

I have ordered the castings / kit from Hemmingway tools - and will try and make it work. Tool rigidity is key to getting a good finish, and fundamental to someone like me who "finish turns", no access to a grinder!

09/04/2018 12:59:52

Getting an ML10 - I 'think' the top slide is compatible - at least with the ML7 - considering making up a Hemingway Radford fixed top slide replacement - for the ML10 - hence the question.

Thread: New member Putney
09/04/2018 11:39:22

Hello all - I have been registered before here as Putneyman, but that appears to have vanished! - Just about to collect an early ML10 - with the cast iron head stock bearings. Not expecting any issues, but are there any replacement options? Or is it steel spindle running in cast iron - no inner bearing between the 2.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate