Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

VFD - Where lies the problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lynne21/04/2023 15:46:10
117 forum posts
32 photos

I have an Invertec Optidrive E3 vfd, and it has been driving my mill for just over 2 years now.The motor shaft on the mill driving the pulley suffered serious damage recently. The drive was through a grub screw(I know not good) & I had ignored the occasional noises coming from the vicinity of the motor. I had to remove the armature to clean up the shaft, & fabricate a better drive to the pulley. The motor is now back on the mill & connected to the vfd. I have gone through the parameter settings, & there are three mometry switches controlling Fwd,Reverse & stop & a 10k 10 turn potentiometer. The problem I am now experiencing is that on the default frequency of 50Hz & the pot on max, the vfd shows 1.6Hz and the motor revs are low, somewhere about 20 to 30 revs. If I change the po1 setting to 500Hz which is the max setting,the vfd shows 16.6Hz the motor turns faster but is not a usable speed. The pot does reduce the speed, which suggests to me it is ok. So what do people think is the motor on its way out, or does the fault lie with the vfd, though no fault code has ever been displayed. I would appreciate your thoughts. Regards Lynne

David Jupp21/04/2023 16:01:47
978 forum posts
26 photos

If it was working OK previously, first question is what has changed? Could any of the wiring have been connected differently to how it was previously connected - either to motor or to controls? Any loose wires?

Could the VFD be in 'jog' mode?

Is motor free to rotate by hand without undue friction?

You may have been unlucky and a VFD fault occurred whist motor was removed, but I'd first check for anything that might have been changed unintentionally whilst working on the motor.

noel shelley21/04/2023 16:02:34
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Has the unit lost it's parameters and needs re setting ? 16.6 Hz is one third of 50Hz ! Lost 2 phases ? Noel.

Dave Shield 121/04/2023 18:37:25
33 forum posts
6 photos

Oh Dear - 2 phases down it is not going to even move

Robert Atkinson 221/04/2023 19:47:12
1891 forum posts
37 photos

Loss of a phase won't affect the frequency.

Sounds like a configuration issue. If a record was kept of the settings required it is best to do a full factory reset and re-enter them all.
Just re-entering or checking may not help because it could be a different setting or even one which is un-documanted.

Robert.

old mart21/04/2023 20:52:49
4655 forum posts
304 photos

_igp2440.jpgRe setting, as Robert advises will be a good start, and I checked The Inverter Drive Supermarket and there is one of their "quick start guides" for this model which tells you how to reset the inverter. The original manufacturers manual is also there and both can be printed out. As for the pulley on the motor, my fix was two grub screws fitting into the milled down key. A reinforcing sleeve was pressed onto the pulley to allow longer threads for the grubscrews._igp2439.jpg

**LINK**

Edited By old mart on 21/04/2023 20:57:58

Lynne23/04/2023 15:30:53
117 forum posts
32 photos

My thanks to all who have responded to my post. When I installed the vfd I did use the Inverter Drives set up parameters & as i said in post it has been working fine for two & a half years. After the pulley trauma I did check the vfd parameter settings, & they were all over the place, but at this point repair of the shaft was my priority. The wiring to the motor was only removed at the vfd & I don't think that the phases are connected to the vfd in any particular order, only to reverse two phases if the direction is not correct. The switches are wired correctly as they work fine. I did reset the defaults to the factory settings & then followed the Inverter Drives parameter set up chart. I do have access to mains 3 phase but it means removing the motor & transporting it elswhere, but at least that will prove out the motor. OLD MART. Thanks for posting the pictures & link. I am still using the one grub which locates onto an area of flat on the shaft, & I will up this to two. I like the key, but I do not have a big dia of shaft to play with. No one has suggested that the vfd is faulty, & , if it is faultyI am reluctant to shell out on a new vfd two and a half years is poor. I still have the original motor, & I did'nt ditch the belt system. Regards, Lynne

old mart23/04/2023 15:42:26
4655 forum posts
304 photos

If you have a multimeter, you could check out the motor wiring for continuity, equal resistance between phases and for any short to earth.

John Doe 225/04/2023 08:14:18
441 forum posts
29 photos

Personally, I doubt that the VFD has gone bang - unless you shorted its output while it was still switched on. It sounds to me that when going through the settings, you accidentally changed a parameter somewhere. For example; output frequency range?

Or disturbed the motor brushes or reassembled the motor incorrectly maybe? Does the shaft spin freely by hand?

Lynne25/04/2023 12:07:44
117 forum posts
32 photos

Old Mart. Thanks or the suggestion to check out the motor phases using a meter. Why did'nt I think of that, it just shows that I am not switched on electrically.

john Doe2 I did put the vfd back to the factory settings,so I think anything along the lines you suggested should have been resolved. No motor brushes, & the motor spins freely. I will double check the default settings that I have entered using the the Inverter Drives guide sheet. Regards, Lynne

Andrew Johnston25/04/2023 13:16:13
7061 forum posts
719 photos

A picture of the motor plate would be helpful. The original post mentions an armature, which implies a DC motor. But a later post says no brushes. Is the motor brushless DC or induction?

Andrew

Emgee25/04/2023 13:51:15
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Andrew,

Perhaps Lynne has misnamed the rotor, using a VFD seems like a 3 phase AC induction motor.

Emgee

Andrew Johnston25/04/2023 16:01:25
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by Emgee on 25/04/2023 13:51:15:

....using a VFD seems like a 3 phase AC induction motor.

That would be a sensible assumption. But I learnt long ago that the key to solving problems is not to make assumptions but is to verify facts. Hence the question about the motor type.

Andrew

Lynne25/04/2023 16:41:23
117 forum posts
32 photos

Sorry, I clearly do not know the difference between rotor & armature. There is a picture of the motor name plate in my albums under the heading RDM 350. I have tried inserting this into this post but have failed.I got as far as looking for 'insert', but where is it?. I guess there are explict instructions somwhere. Lynne

Andrew Johnston25/04/2023 16:52:39
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by Lynne on 25/04/2023 16:41:23:

...picture of the motor name plate in my albums...

Thank you, that confirms that the motor is 3-phase induction. Although a pain it would be worthwhile connecting the motor to a proper 3-phase supply to eliminate any issues with the motor. The motor will need to be connected in star for connection to the 3-phase supply, and then back to delta for connection to the VFD.

Andrew

Robert Atkinson 225/04/2023 17:18:10
1891 forum posts
37 photos

The photo is of a 3 phase induction motor.

The described fault is not a motor issue and is unlikely to be a gross fault in the VFD.
Can you measure tha voltage across the 10 turn pot (CW and CCW terminals) It should be10V DC. I think it is most likely that the pot or it'a wiring is at fault. If the voltage across the pot is corrrect measure between the CCW and wiper terminals with the pot set to 50% and 100%.
Check again at the VFD terminals (7 is 0V / CCW, 6 is input / wiper, 5 is +10V CW). Be VERY CAREFUL measuring on the VFD terminals. Some may have hundreds of volts on them,. This may be present for several minutes after you turn it off.

Alternatively set the speed from the control panel rather than using the potentiometer (analog) input and see what it does.
If you tell us the full model / part number of the VFD I'll check the manual, but it looks like you have to change P12 to 2 to enable the control panel.

To go back to the pot Set P12 to 0 and P15 to zero.

Also check:
P16 = U0-10
P35 = 100%
P39 = 0

Robert.

Edited By Robert Atkinson 2 on 25/04/2023 17:18:48

Edited By Robert Atkinson 2 on 25/04/2023 17:24:05

Grindstone Cowboy25/04/2023 19:41:39
1160 forum posts
73 photos

Since nobody else has, how to post photos is here.

Rob

Links to https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=103028&p=1

Lynne26/04/2023 12:23:31
117 forum posts
32 photos

Thanks to you all for the replys.

Robert Atkinson. The vfd description is:- Invertec Optidrive E3 IP20 -0.75kW 230v 1ph to 3ph AC Inverter drive.

pt no. ODE-3-120043-IF12 Thanks also for the detailed test routine to check out the pot. Very useful for me.

Not able to check it out today, but will get back with results SAP. Regards, Lynne

Lynne28/04/2023 22:32:20
117 forum posts
32 photos

Hi Robert, voltage across the pot terminals cw-ccw is 10v. The voltage between ccw & wiper terminals is 50% 5v & 100%10v. Have checked P16, 35 &39, & they are ok. Lynne.

Robert Atkinson 229/04/2023 11:43:46
1891 forum posts
37 photos

Hi,

So the Pot is OK

Have you tried setting P12 to 2 and entering a percentage speed from the front panel?

P01 needs to go bck to 50Hz.

Robert.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate