By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Shield 1

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Shield 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: VFD - Where lies the problem
21/04/2023 18:37:25

Oh Dear - 2 phases down it is not going to even move

Thread: End Mill chamfering bit, 90deg
12/04/2023 18:30:36

I used a V shaped wood router bit. They have tungsten carbide cutting blades.Did the job

Thread: Multifix
16/02/2023 18:06:09

Again thank you for all your replies

It apears to me most if not all are made in China and that the quality and price depends on the retailer, his margins, and what the customer will accept and be willing to pay.

Dave

12/02/2023 18:01:47

Thank you for your replies.

Dave

09/02/2023 18:58:50

Done that

Dave

09/02/2023 18:44:57

Hi

Has anyone have any up to date opinions on multifix tool posts and their clones.

I use a four post tool holder normaly. I also have a Dickson tool post but on some of the holders clamping is poor and the cam can go over centre. Some do not hold the centre height between tool changes.

Buy cheap buy twice!

Any advice is welcome.

Dave S

Thread: Another EVRI calamity.
08/01/2023 18:51:21

Our house is aprox 250 years old, here long before any one living was born.

No number,no problems with deliveries

Common sense of the people delivering sorts it all out.

Dave

Thread: an Oil-Tank Monitoring puzzle : Domestic Heating
28/11/2022 18:16:47

It may not be the settings I once had a problem with a large tank and incorrect level readings, I could see the echo trace on my lap top and it showed two return echos. One was from the surface of the liquid The other which was the larger, was from the surface and then was being reflected from the top of the tank, back to the surface and then to the transducer. The top of the tank was a wonderfull reflector.

I have had the same type of problems with radio signals where a reflection from a hanger door been moved became stronger than the signal that I was using to check the kit I was working on.

Dave

Thread: MJEng Fowler A7 - what CAN'T I do on an ML7?
23/11/2022 18:33:53

The combined width of the face plate, and casting, and mounting bolts just would not fit. Not even near.

Dave

22/11/2022 20:43:03

I am building the 2" Fowler road locomotive using a Myford 7 and a Tom Senior mill

The wheel rims do not need any machining. Only the final gear and the fly wheel were too big. I machined the final gear in at work and cut the teeth at home on the mill. The fly wheel I did in a rush at work an I am not too happy with it. No more access to work machine any more but it will sort out.

The diff was machined out of iron disks from M-Machine wounderfull service at all times.

All the gear cutters came from Ebay.

Go for it, the problems have a way of sorting themselves out as the build progresses

Dave

Thread: I am getting shorter - how about you.
09/02/2022 18:31:24

Just measured my legs, but I cannot hold the tape measure far enough away to read the numbers (imperial). Back to square one, my arms must be shorter.

08/02/2022 18:57:01

Thank you for the help. I find it harder to see things on the floor, therefore the floor must be further away. Problem solved. the legs are getting longer. I will measure them each week and record the results.

08/02/2022 18:04:50

My arms are getting shorter, or my legs are getting longer. Trouble reaching my feet to put my socks on in the morning.

Please advise.

Thread: VFD auto tune.
31/12/2021 18:59:23

I have used auto tune on some large VSD,s and motors, the function allows the VSD to learn the characteristics of the motor, it is done on initial initial installation and does not have to be done again, I hade some very strange results when I did not run it first, mainly the motor ran but did not develop any grunt. I think this parameter goes under several different names. Not all VSD,s have this function ABB drives did as far as I con remember, been out of it for a while. Again it could be a function to use in a PID control situation, if so nothing to worry about when driving a milling machine.

Thread: Is there a demand for Whitworth tools?
03/12/2021 18:13:39

Rebuild an Aga, or a Blakes marine toilet, you will be glad of whitworth spanners. You will also require a stiff drink and some pills as it will drive you insane.

Thread: Sewage dumping
24/10/2021 19:08:03

Do not think it was better run under goverment or coucil control. I joined working in the water industry just after privitisation an I had never seen so much worn out rusty uncared for plant in my in my life. Down west they solved the problem by putting it in the sea. The council took the water rates money and spent it else where.

Thread: Belly tanks
06/09/2021 18:00:25

I am building a 2" Fowler engine, the belly tank is secured to the horn plates by two brackets. All the band around the boiler does is suport the weight of the front of the belly tank. Not going to move any where.

Thread: The Secret Science of Sewage
20/03/2021 19:04:45

Thought it was poor at showing just went on in such a works. I worked on the dirty side for 20+ years.

There was no mention of the mess the operators could get in when things went wrong and became covered in the

'product'.

No mention of the endless battles of the fitters have, maintaining the continual break downs on the mechanical side.

No mention of the instrumentation controlling the plant and how tightly the discharge it monitored.by the environmental

agency

Altogether a light weight programme

Thread: Milton Keynes Metals?
19/12/2020 18:45:24

Use M-machine metals very good service. cannot fault them.

Dave S

Thread: Hemingway rear tool post plunger thread?
06/11/2020 18:11:43

You have answered your own question, screw a slug into the threaded hole and it saves you buying a new spring every time you remove the tool post. You will remove the tool post more times than you expect to.

Cheers

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate