tom hardy22/03/2023 23:08:12
30 forum posts
1 photos

can you buy plans for stephenson rocket 5 inch working model

tom hardy

Peter Greene23/03/2023 00:18:53
865 forum posts
12 photos

If you can't find actual plans, there is a book "The Engineering and History of Rocket" by Bailey & Glithero which contains a wealth of detail including dimensional information

Hopper23/03/2023 03:35:31
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Some discussion on this old thread here LINK with some good sources to check up on .

More recently Julius DeWaal has done external drawings and Sarik Hobbies also.

Dalboy23/03/2023 08:37:44
1009 forum posts
305 photos

Have a LOOK here may be of some help

Martin Kyte23/03/2023 09:11:15
3445 forum posts
62 photos

Kennions do Rainhill in 3 1/2” which is a LBSC design. It kind of depends on which version of Rocket you are looking for. The loco was very much a development prototype and had many modifications throughout its lifetime some quite major. Rainhill is more typical of later versions. Do buy the book the engineering and history of Rocket. I have a copy and it is fascinating. I don’t remember the exact details of how the book came about but it was the result of an extensive mechanical archeological investigation by either the Science Museum or York Railway Museum when the engine was moved from one place to the other. Extensive dismantling was done and measurements and photographs taken and drawings made. It’s probably the best data set on Rocket you are likely to find.

So a combination of Kennions drawings and the book would get you some way down the road.

regards Martin

Mike Hurley23/03/2023 09:17:33
530 forum posts
89 photos

Coincidently, was watching 'Dickinsons real deal' on TV yesterday and a lady bought in quite a reasonably sized model of Rocket complete with tender. It was apparently a live steam version although it had a bits missing, didn't look as if it would be too bad after a bit of TLC.

The odd thing was they said it was a 'Hornby' model - I never knew they made live steam models?

It only sold for about £40 I think. You might find it of interest if you could see it on whatever TV catchup service you might have if any.

regards Mike

noel shelley23/03/2023 09:38:19
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Model makers OS did a model of rocket, live steam, I think in 3.5". Martin K and Peter are right about the book, I also have a copy. Noel.

Dalboy23/03/2023 10:00:20
1009 forum posts
305 photos
Posted by Mike Hurley on 23/03/2023 09:17:33:

The odd thing was they said it was a 'Hornby' model - I never knew they made live steam models?

regards Mike

Yes they did. This was one of the very early ones they made.

dscf3070.jpg

Martin Kyte23/03/2023 10:04:50
3445 forum posts
62 photos

And I see there is a Haynes Manual for Rocket.

regards Martin

Mike Hurley23/03/2023 11:05:40
530 forum posts
89 photos
Posted by Dalboy on 23/03/2023 10:00:20:
Posted by Mike Hurley on 23/03/2023 09:17:33:

regards Mike

Yes they did. This was one of the very early ones they made.

Yes, thats the very same type I saw on the program (it was Yellow also). Thanks.

Wouldlike to see a 'runner' though

regards Mike

Edited By Mike Hurley on 23/03/2023 11:06:28

Dalboy23/03/2023 11:19:38
1009 forum posts
305 photos

This one has never been run since I have owned it or when my late father had it as he got it directly from Hornby when he worked for the company.

I do have all of the bits to fire it as well as the instructions but no track. I may be tempted to fire it up one day. You can see the gas control at the rear of the boiler.

davidk23/03/2023 12:52:59
60 forum posts
Posted by noel shelley on 23/03/2023 09:38:19:

Model makers OS did a model of rocket, live steam, I think in 3.5".

The OS model was 5" gauge, a lovely little thing. A great shame that OS stopped stopped making their live steam kits.

David

tom hardy23/03/2023 22:51:10
30 forum posts
1 photos

thank you people i have ordered the book today i have just finished a steam powered whim (a what ) will get around to post some photos i live in west australia home of the original whims nice video on u tube google steam whim

tom hardy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate