By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for davidk

Here is a list of all the postings davidk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gluten Intolerance
20/07/2023 20:36:59

Have to agree about most supermarket "free-from" bread being awful.

I was recommended gluten free bread from a company called Rana's Bakery, which is the best I've come across and all I buy now. https://www.mygfbakery.com/

No connection, just a very satisfied customer.

David

Thread: Is this a scam?
01/07/2023 18:45:12

Hi Chris,

I had the same one yesterday, definitely a scam.

David

Thread: rocket plans
23/03/2023 12:52:59
Posted by noel shelley on 23/03/2023 09:38:19:

Model makers OS did a model of rocket, live steam, I think in 3.5".

The OS model was 5" gauge, a lovely little thing. A great shame that OS stopped stopped making their live steam kits.

David

Thread: Latest Model Engineer Issue
23/12/2022 09:17:22

Hi Ian

The latest issue I believe is 4706, received here (UK) on Monday 19th December. 4705 arrived with me on 29th October.

David

Thread: Source of scale people
13/12/2022 11:24:21

I see from the Modelu website that they 1/12th and even 1/10th scale figures.

Not cheap though!

David

Thread: 4.75" LBSC Pansy- Adding Firebox Staybolts?
22/11/2022 09:08:26

Where we in the UK, for example, have 5" gauge, the USA and Canada use 4 3/4" gauge instead, so quite normal over there. This is done as it's very close to scale gauge for 1" to the foot loco's.

Regards

David

Thread: Clocking on a 4 Jaw indepdent
20/10/2022 13:21:36

I use this method, works really well:

https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/PDF/centering4-jawchuck.pdf

David

Thread: Boxford 280 info
19/10/2022 19:57:34

Hi Ian,

From the Boxford manual:

To lift the lathe, there is an M16 x 2mm pitch tapped hole in the bed cross bracing, near the spindle nose. This is designed to take what the manual calls a "Dynamo-Type Eye Bolt".

The position of the carriage when lifting depends on the length of the bed. For 20" centres machines, the carriage should be to the right of the eye bolt, and for 30" centres machines, the carriage should be to the left of the eye bolt.

Hope this helps

David

Thread: Yet another scam
28/08/2022 11:34:44

I find Hotmail works very well at blocking scammers, just the very occasional one gets into the Inbox.

Ian (Circlip), the block facility on Hotmail seems to have changed a while back. If, in your Inbox or other folder, you right-click on an email, a menu box will appear. Down the bottom of the list are the block options (block sender and never block sender). That's what it does on mine anyway, maybe yours will work the same way.

Regards

David

Thread: MT 4 1/2
04/09/2021 22:07:20

Hi John,

Many thanks for doing this, I have just sent you a PM.

Could you add me to the list as well please?

David

29/08/2021 21:57:27
Posted by duncan webster on 27/08/2021 23:45:32:

There must be hundreds of lathes with MT4.5 headstocks, and when they pass from industry to private hands the adaptor bush always seems to go missing, probably because it is only used for between centre turning so is kept in a cupboard somewhere. An opportunity for Ketan to get a batch made?

If Ketan were to have a batch made, I would certainly buy one for my Boxford 330!

David

Thread: TomSeniorMdel E S head
19/01/2021 12:23:59

Hi Martin

Are you a member if the Tom Senior group on groups.io?

If not, it's definitely worth joining. They'll definitely have all the information you need.

Hope this helps

David

Thread: Yet another scam lathe sale on ebay to be aware of
06/01/2021 15:44:28

He's just relisted both items again!

David

Thread: Mill Tip
28/08/2020 13:06:56

What a brilliant video, many thanks for sharing.

I'm definitely going to try that technique.

David

Thread: Boxford 280 Oil Top up
02/02/2020 11:12:42

Hi Lee

I presume you're referring to the headstock oil. If your Boxford is the same as my 330 (X10 series), then you shouldn't need to remove the top cover. There is a filler plug in the side of the headstock immediately above the level window.

Hope this helps!

David

Thread: More evidence that the world has gone mad!
03/12/2019 10:28:06

Yesterday I called BT and renewed my mobile phone contract. In response they sent two emails to my BTinternet email account, saying thanks for renewing etc. What did my BT mail account do with the two emails from BT? Put them in the spam folder of course...

Following on from Mike's post, in the seventies I used to work for RCA Records in London. The saying at the time was: If Typhoo put the T in Britain, who put the ar*e in RCA?

David

Edited By davidk on 03/12/2019 10:29:26

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
21/09/2018 12:45:32

Hi Ian

Funnily enough, the one aircraft that I saw fitted with silencers, many years ago was a PZL Wilga with an Ivchenko radial engine. This was at Lydd Airport in Kent, UK. Probably 30 years ago, but the image stuck in my mind!

There are a few pictures on the internet of Wilgas fitted with silencers. Googling G-BUNC or SP-FZE for example will find some.

I've just found an NZ registered example as well!  ZK-PZN

Regards

David

Edited By davidk on 21/09/2018 13:04:58

28/07/2018 13:40:40

Hawker Typhoon RB396 is undergoing a rebuild to fly, hopefully in 2024. The Hawker Typhoon Preservation Group have managed to secure a Napier Sabre IIa that will be rebuilt to airworthy condition. A mammoth project by any standards. Really looking forward to seeing that one in the air!

**LINK**

David

Thread: Songs for the Workshop
26/07/2018 16:23:56

Also "My Grinding Mill" by John Lee Hooker

and "Hard Times in the Mill" by Pete Seeger

25/07/2018 17:34:52

Anything by Mike and the Mechanics...

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate