Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Who is SMAC?

MEW 235 DRO Advertorial? Review on 'improvising a tailstock'

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian P21/02/2023 13:08:41
2747 forum posts
123 photos

I occasionally spot the odd error that creeps into MEW articles but I control the pedant in me and refrain from commenting mainly because I don't think it would be fair on the author.

The article on page 55 of MEW 325 seems wrong on so many aspects but this time I don't feel guilty about commenting on it as the author is not identified.

Initially I presumed it was an advert for the product but if it was I would have expected to see the manufacturer or suppliers details as the end of the text.

If it was an article submitted by a contributor to MEW the authors name (and often a picture) usually appears on the first page of the article.

Whilst the MEW index has a sensible title for the article the text article text itself begins as if its about 'improvised tailstocks'. It not a big boo boo but I'm surprised it slipped through.

Whilst the author does give any more details than the supplier being called LINN Tools and being findable with an online search, its not going to help readers (especially non UK) who do not have internet access.

The pictures in the article look to have come out of the 'could do better' category in the current 'Workshop Photography' article currently running in MEW. They are very poorly lit and do not even show details that are 'illustrated in photo 3'.

If I was considering purchasing the LINN DRO (or any digital caliper type device) is whether the reading is retained if the caliper blanks the display, whether it is by manual or auto power off.

Am I being to critical?

Ian P

mgnbuk21/02/2023 13:44:26
1394 forum posts
103 photos

Linn Tools

Ebay shop, with a physical address shown on the "about" page.

Nigel B.

Robert Butler21/02/2023 13:53:08
511 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Ian P on 21/02/2023 13:08:41:

I occasionally spot the odd error that creeps into MEW articles but I control the pedant in me and refrain from commenting mainly because I don't think it would be fair on the author.

The article on page 55 of MEW 325 seems wrong on so many aspects but this time I don't feel guilty about commenting on it as the author is not identified.

Initially I presumed it was an advert for the product but if it was I would have expected to see the manufacturer or suppliers details as the end of the text.

If it was an article submitted by a contributor to MEW the authors name (and often a picture) usually appears on the first page of the article.

Whilst the MEW index has a sensible title for the article the text article text itself begins as if its about 'improvised tailstocks'. It's not a big boo boo but I'm surprised it slipped through.

Whilst the author does give any more details than the supplier being called LINN Tools and being findable with an online search, its not going to help readers (especially non UK) who do not have internet access.

The pictures in the article look to have come out of the 'could do better' category in the current 'Workshop Photography' article currently running in MEW. They are very poorly lit and do not even show details that are 'illustrated in photo 3'.

If I was considering purchasing the LINN DRO (or any digital caliper type device) is whether the reading is retained if the caliper blanks the display, whether it is by manual or auto power off.

Am I being to critical?

Ian P

Possibly see above.

Robert Butler

duncan webster21/02/2023 14:54:35
5307 forum posts
83 photos

The latest on on pocket mags is 323, am I missing a trick?

Ian P21/02/2023 15:07:56
2747 forum posts
123 photos

Typo in my heading. Its issue 325 of MEW

IanP

Ian P21/02/2023 15:09:34
2747 forum posts
123 photos
Posted by mgnbuk on 21/02/2023 13:44:26:

Linn Tools

Ebay shop, with a physical address shown on the "about" page.

Nigel B.

and anyone without internet access......

IanP

Nicholas Farr21/02/2023 15:18:58
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi Ian P, I had no trouble understanding the article, the statement which is made about many people improvising seems valid to me, as many have shown digital calipers that they have fitted to their tailstock. I've very often improvised by holding a steel rule in place. OK the photos won't win any prizes, but I could see what it was all about. Just because there are those that don't have the internet, doesn't mean it can't be shown or spoke about.

Regards Nick.

Ian P21/02/2023 15:31:44
2747 forum posts
123 photos

It just seemed a poor article to me.

The heading text on the article referred to people improvising tailstocks, rather than DRO's on tailstocks.

Not many people are without internet access these days but since MEW is read in other countries a pointer to the suppliers address and contact details would not be out of place. I found the seller on ebay but not everyone trusts, likes or wants to buy off auction sites. (I'm fine with it!)

Ian P

P.S. I still don't know what SMAC issad

duncan webster21/02/2023 15:40:25
5307 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by duncan webster on 21/02/2023 14:54:35:

The latest on on pocket mags is 323, am I missing a trick?

Phone call to mortons has sorted it, but the lady at the other end is convinced that MEW doesn't have a number on the front

mgnbuk21/02/2023 17:54:14
1394 forum posts
103 photos

and anyone without internet access......

...... in 2023 is at a definate disadvantage !

Nigel B.

Neil Wyatt22/02/2023 12:43:22
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

A few contributors use a pen name for personal reasons, this can be for many reasons. Some are just very private people; others have a long history of using a pen-name and want to keep continuity; others are nervous about being criticised by their peers; and some are professionals publishing peer reviewed engineering papers and don't want to muddy the waters with less formal articles. Some prolific writers (in the past) use multiple pen-names to distinguish between different areas (e.g. ET Westbury who had a whole bagful). And all points in between.

I know who SMAC is, but as is customary I respect their wish for anonymity. That was an independent review and as such the editing was 'light touch' as I didn't want to change the author#'s perceptions.

The images weren't perfect. Our contributors are not all expert photographers, and that's why we are running a series on workshop photography in the hopes of helping people submit better images.

Neil

JasonB22/02/2023 13:19:03
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Posted by Ian P on 21/02/2023 15:31:44:

It just seemed a poor article to me.

The heading text on the article referred to people improvising tailstocks, rather than DRO's on tailstocks.

Not many people are without internet access these days but since MEW is read in other countries a pointer to the suppliers address and contact details would not be out of place. I found the seller on ebay but not everyone trusts, likes or wants to buy off auction sites. (I'm fine with it!)

Ian P

P.S. I still don't know what SMAC issad

Can't see anything wrong with the heading, the summary just below probably could have done with saying"............inprovising a tailstock DRO." but clear enough to me that it was a review of a Tailstock DRO.

dro.jpg

I think Linn only sell through e-bay and I found them easy enough with Google and that is international so should not be hard for others to find and buy or simply copy the idea if they have a 3D printer.

If the photos were not of a Myford I may have thought SMAC was Stub Mandrels Annon Cousinwink

Michael Gilligan22/02/2023 14:46:00
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

SadoMasochisticArticleContributor

… perhaps

Paul Rhodes22/02/2023 16:46:26
81 forum posts
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 22/02/2023 14:46:00:

SadoMasochisticArticleContributor

… perhaps

Beat me to it…..( sorry).

duncan webster22/02/2023 17:07:31
5307 forum posts
83 photos

And then we wonder why Neil sometimes runs short of articles.

Jeff Dayman22/02/2023 21:09:41
2356 forum posts
47 photos

Neil, it is not immediately obvious from the article headline / intro that SMAC is a person vs a club or firm. Might have resulted in less confusion to say "model engineer SMAC from the <area locale>" or "hobby machinist SMAC" .

Doesn't matter at all to me who or what SMAC is, just saying I can see where some confusion may arise.

Neil Wyatt23/02/2023 14:29:58
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

It's his sixth article (I think), although his first review. Let's hope this response doesn't put him off writing any more, eh?

Neil

typo

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 23/02/2023 14:30:15

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate