Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Modern DROs and their scale interfaces

Compatibility of different makes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stueeee15/02/2023 21:39:01
144 forum posts

A while ago I bought a new to me lathe which was/is fitted with a (CHFOIC badged) DRO. My other machines have Anilam or Heidenhain DROs which have far fewer bells and whistles but have (touch wood) always been reliable.

My issue with the new DRO is that it is failing its Power On Self Test. It does the exact same thing when the scales are disconnected which leads me to believe that the head unit is faulty.

Information on the 'net seems to be really thin on this subject, but it seems that the interface to the X and Z scales is something called JCXE it uses a 9 pin connector.

I can't seem to find any sellers who will sell me a CHFOIC head unit on it's (i.e. not part of a kit with scales) so, what I really need is a head unit which is compatible with the scales I already have. Any suggestions or guidance would be most welcome -thanks for reading this.

Paul Lousick16/02/2023 04:04:47
2276 forum posts
801 photos

I am not familiar with them but a quick Google search came up with a few hits and sellers on ebay

GUIYANG XINTIAN OETECH CO.,LTD, www.chfoic.com

Operation manual **LINK**

Mike Hurley16/02/2023 09:21:38
530 forum posts
89 photos

That looks remarkably similar to the Warco unit I bought & fitted a couple of years back, Might be worth checking out

Regards Mike.

David Tocher16/02/2023 09:30:06
47 forum posts
1 photos

Stueee

I have Chinese glass scales and found there are ar least two different wiring patterns for DB9 connectors linking the scale to the display.

Stuart Bridger16/02/2023 09:37:49
566 forum posts
31 photos

I would recommend speaking to Machine DRO. They sell a number of adapters to connect different systems and have a lot of experience in this area.

Stueeee16/02/2023 10:18:05
144 forum posts
Posted by David Tocher on 16/02/2023 09:30:06:

Stueee

I have Chinese glass scales and found there are ar least two different wiring patterns for DB9 connectors linking the scale to the display.

Yes, trawling through eBay revealed that some of the Chinese suppliers used the same 9 pin physical interface on their scales, but with only 5 of the pins used.

Les Jones 116/02/2023 10:52:57
2292 forum posts
159 photos

I don't think the internal error code on the display unit can be caused by the scales being faulty or not connected. From your connector pinout it looks like the sales are pretty standard quadrature scales with the "R" signal being for a pulse which is generated as a reference point near one end of the scale travel. The "A" and "B" signals will be the quadrature outputs. As these signals are not at any fixed value the display unit has now way to know if the scales are faulty. Your scales are single ended output. If they were differential output they would have A+ and A-, B+ and B- and R+ and R-. As the scales are supplied with 5 volts the logic levels will be 0 and 5 volts. (These signal levels are often called TTL levels.) With power to the scales if you look at the "A" or the "B" signals with an oscilloscope you should see them changing state as the scales are moved. You will also need to know how many pulses per mm of movement that your scales provide. This can noemally be set with a setup function on the display unit. If you try to get into the setup function of your display then you may be able to see what the pulses per mm setting has been set to.I agree that Machine DRO will be able to tell you if their display units are compatible with your scales

Les.

Clive Steer16/02/2023 11:47:11
227 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Stueeee

Check your inbox as I might be able to help

CS

Dave Halford16/02/2023 17:14:19
2536 forum posts
24 photos
Posted by Les Jones 1 on 16/02/2023 10:52:57:

I don't think the internal error code on the display unit can be caused by the scales being faulty or not connected. From your connector pinout it looks like the sales are pretty standard quadrature scales with the "R" signal being for a pulse which is generated as a reference point near one end of the scale travel. The "A" and "B" signals will be the quadrature outputs. As these signals are not at any fixed value the display unit has now way to know if the scales are faulty. Your scales are single ended output. If they were differential output they would have A+ and A-, B+ and B- and R+ and R-. As the scales are supplied with 5 volts the logic levels will be 0 and 5 volts. (These signal levels are often called TTL levels.) With power to the scales if you look at the "A" or the "B" signals with an oscilloscope you should see them changing state as the scales are moved. You will also need to know how many pulses per mm of movement that your scales provide. This can noemally be set with a setup function on the display unit. If you try to get into the setup function of your display then you may be able to see what the pulses per mm setting has been set to.I agree that Machine DRO will be able to tell you if their display units are compatible with your scales

Les.

Les,

The fault is a failed display startup self test both with and without the scales being fitted.

He's trying to match a new display to his existing scales

Stuart Smith 516/02/2023 19:46:57
349 forum posts
61 photos

Try contacting machine dro. This one on their website might be suitable:

**LINK**

Stuart

duncan webster16/02/2023 19:53:01
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Wrong button

Edited By duncan webster on 16/02/2023 19:55:18

Pete Johnson 120/02/2023 17:31:21
2 forum posts

I have recently fitted a DRO to my Boxford lathe, I ordered all the bit the same make but for some reason the display couldn't be shipped here (UK) and only one of the scales arrived but the other was unavailable so I ended up with 2 different brand of scales and a different make of display.

When I came to fit it, one of the scales worked but the other didn't luckily the one that didn't came with a 9 pin adaptor that did work with fitted I found this site explaining the different wiring very good.

https://www.touchdro.com/resources/scales/glass/glass-scale-pinout.html for getting the wiring right

But yours looks like a display problem.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate