Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

1960 Bullet Albion gearbox obscure item

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sakura22/01/2023 19:31:02
86 forum posts
1 photos

What is the 3/16" Whit cheese head screw above the gear change shaft on the outer cover for? I can find no reference to it anywhere. Surely must be to oil lubricate the gear change shaft and kickstart shaft, but if so, why not a grease nipple?

Ady122/01/2023 19:44:22
6137 forum posts
893 photos

A photo would probably get better responses

Sakura22/01/2023 20:13:52
86 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Ady1 on 22/01/2023 19:44:22:

I think it's one of those things you either know or not. It's just a cheese head screw, at a slight inward angle above the gear change shaft. It just appears to close a hole. It's not important, I'm just curious.

alan-lloyd22/01/2023 20:42:06
183 forum posts

Is it to lubricate the clutch push rod

Robert Butler22/01/2023 21:09:03
511 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Sakura on 22/01/2023 20:13:52:
Posted by Ady1 on 22/01/2023 19:44:22:

I think it's one of those things you either know or not. It's just a cheese head screw, at a slight inward angle above the gear change shaft. It just appears to close a hole. It's not important, I'm just curious.

It is important if it is used for lubrication, otherwise it wouldn't be there.

Robert Butler

Hopper22/01/2023 22:19:17
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Oil level check hole? You fill the gearbox up until oil comes out the screw hole.

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2023 22:21:47

Nick Hughes22/01/2023 23:37:30
307 forum posts
150 photos

Any help? :-

hichcocks.jpg

Sakura23/01/2023 09:41:35
86 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Nick, position 4 is the very one. I found several parts drawings on line but not that one. Minor mystery solved!

Hopper23/01/2023 11:04:28
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by Sakura on 23/01/2023 09:41:35:

Thanks Nick, position 4 is the very one. I found several parts drawings on line but not that one. Minor mystery solved!

But it still does not tell you what the oil hole/screw is for. I checked my old Royal Enfield service manual and it says all Enfields have a gearbox oil level screw that you take out and fill the gearbox until oil comes out that hole. It says location of the oil hole varies from model to model between front, back and middle of that end cover. So unless you have another level screw there somewhere, that is most probably what it is. Pretty standard thing on old Brit gearboxes. I know Norton, AMC and BSA boxes had them. But never tinkered with Enfields.

Your workshop manual should give you the procedure for changing gearbox oil which should mention it.

Sakura23/01/2023 13:13:55
86 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Hopper,

The screw is just to close the oil hole for the gear change and kickstart shafts, as I suspected. It was just idle curiousity on my part that Nick has answered. There is no oil in the outer cover and the level plug is on the rear of the gearbox.

Hopper23/01/2023 21:24:15
7881 forum posts
397 photos

That's certainly a unique set up. But I guess the end cover holds only the neutral selector and the main gear selector ratchet mechanism like most, so no need for it to be filled with oil. Very thorough to provide a little oil hole for the shaft where it passes through, and a little screw to blank it off. Gotta love old British motorbikes. They all had their very own ways of doing things. I have had my eye out for an Indian Bullet 500 for a while so maybe one day I will get to learn about these esoteric Enfieldisms first hand. Great old bikes.

Hopper24/01/2023 05:36:26
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Edit, that last post should read "and NOT the main gear selector like most".

John MC24/01/2023 08:43:14
464 forum posts
72 photos

Was this (awful) gearbox lubricated with oil? My experience of these boxes was with the Indian built version. These were lubricated with semi-liquid grease and topped up as necessary with engine oil between lubrication changes.

The Indian boxes had a level plug facing rearward on the inner end cover.

Incidentally, the Indian built gearboxes could be adjusted to improve (!) the gear change by attacking the "stop plate", position 17 in the drawing above. This could give an almost acceptable gear selection. I wonder if the UK built version was the same?

Sakura24/01/2023 10:15:04
86 forum posts
1 photos

The outer cover is to the usual British gearbox design as far as the outer cover is concerned enclosing the positive stop mechanism and the unique to Albion neutral finder. Not a very good positive stop! As far as I am aware, the box is lubricated with 40w oil, not the semi runny grease that some boxes used. There is a hardened mainshaft sleeve that runs on the mainshaft with no bushes so I wouldn't have thought that grease would penetrate the small clearance. The Albion is about on par with a Vincent box, both serviceable but not amenable to quick changes.

Hopper24/01/2023 10:33:36
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Except every other British gearbox I remember working on has the end cover full of the same oil that the rest of the gearbox swims in, in fact you usually fill the gearbox up with oil through a hole in the end cover. Bit unique having the end cover devoid of oil. Certainly Nortons are full of oil there, and from memory BSA and Triumphs and Ariels. But twas a long time ago for the latter three. Very thoughtful of the Enfield chaps to provide a little oil hole to make up for it though!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate