By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sakura

Here is a list of all the postings Sakura has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: So what do readers want to read about?
22/06/2023 19:32:03

I liken Sam Fox to one of those Ferrari look a like kit cars with a VW engine - all show and no go. Well not for the likes of most of us!

Thread: Freesat recorder HDD
05/06/2023 22:48:24

Don't touch it! Quote the Sale of Goods and Consumer Protection Act to them. It states that goods should be of merchantable quality and it is generally accepted that that means a lifespan of 6 years. Threaten them with taking them to the Small Claims Court and or reporting them to your local Trading Standards. 18 months is totally unacceptable.

Thread: Scams
23/05/2023 20:09:48
Posted by mark costello 1 on 22/05/2023 23:35:12:

NO banking apps on phone or computer, dinosaur? Correct!

Plus 1 here.

Thread: Poor quality drill bits
27/04/2023 19:05:30
Posted by Fulmen on 27/04/2023 18:53:14:

China can make any quality you'd like. They have a space program, you don't get that using ebay quality equipment. But it will cost you.

For quality drills I've always chosen either Dormer or Gühring.

The Chinese have to production drill, they need to undo rusted tight nuts etc etc. They have to do everything we do multiplied by thousands. It stands to reason that with their advanced industry they need top quality gear. Why don't we get it? Probably they can sell all they make at home.

Thread: Simple case hardening recipe
28/03/2023 21:46:04
Posted by duncan webster on 28/03/2023 19:52:12:

To be equally pedantic, that's pack hardening. Any process that produces a hard skin and soft core is case hardening, and there are quite a few. When I were a lad heat treatment shops had vats of molten cyanide, it's a wonder anyone survived.

When I worked in an engineering factory they used molten cyanide in the Hardening House. 2 of us maintenance fitters were sent to change the pot. Started to chip away at the grout around the top edge. A piece flew off right onto my tongue. I spent quite a time spitting! The new cyanide tablets lay all over the floor and the blacksmith proudly told us one tablet in the local water tower would be enough to kill the population of the local town! Elf and Safety! Actually, some things have improved for the better. (Ps, I didn't die!)

Thread: Overpainting Powder Coated Steel
13/03/2023 18:01:55
Posted by john halfpenny on 13/03/2023 17:54:28:

2 years ago I repainted my garden tractor which was exhibiting the usual problem of rust running under the original powder coated finish. I derusted and used a medium grade production paper to give the undamaged powder coat a key. Two coats of decent undercoat and enamel top coat (Craftmaster). After two years outside under cover, there is no peeling or lifting, the surface is still shiny, and the interface between the powder coat and bare metal is virtually invisible. On that basis I wouldn't worry about overpainting.

Exactly my experience.

Thread: Amazing crankshaft repair
21/02/2023 10:17:26
Posted by old mart on 19/02/2023 16:28:45:

I wonder if the guarantee was longer than a week?

When I was a foreman mechanic in the 70s, I overheard a customer ask the salesman how long the warranty was on a second hand banger. His reply;

"It's a forecourt warranty"

Customer; "How long is that?"

Salesman; "Until you get off the forecourt!"

19/02/2023 11:18:31

Wrong on so many levels and yet the skill and outcome is undeniable.

Thread: BSF fastener grading
07/02/2023 18:07:13

I am by no means an expert in this field but I have read that a high tensile nut is usually unnecessary in a tension situation. The core of a bolt being much smaller than the depth of core to exterior of the nut. I stand to be corrected by those that actually know better.

Thread: Squeezing copper tube?
04/02/2023 09:33:41

I'm surprised nobody has suggested the common plumbers trick of blocking the head tank outlet and the system vent (kits are available) and draining down locally, a pint or so,, and then cutting the pipe and installing a valve. I've done it several times.

Thread: workshop - building material question
03/02/2023 22:22:14
Posted by Gavlar on 03/02/2023 19:41:05:

Even 'thermalite' blocks can take a lot of weight with the correct fixings. They are also available in different densitys. If it is a cavity wall with insulation in the cavity, the building inspector won't (in my experience) specify the block used and you can simply use concrete blocks.

Edited By Gavlar on 03/02/2023 19:41:36

I used concrete blocks as an inner skin in my workshop as advised by my very good builder. His reasoning was that they take a better fixing in a workshop than thermalite blocks. On reflection I don't believe that I have fixed anything  that couldn't be adequately fixed in thermalite blocks. In view of the cost of energy I think it would be better to gain every advantage you can. It may also be that a change in use in the future would also benefit from good insulation.

Edited By Sakura on 03/02/2023 22:23:23

Thread: LED light with magnetic base for milling machine
03/02/2023 15:23:19

I use the ones from Lidl with a clamp or a flat base that I put magnets in. About a tenner and are brilliant.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
27/01/2023 08:58:27
Posted by Hopper on 26/01/2023 22:37:30:
Posted by Sakura on 26/01/2023 18:04:17:
Posted by Hopper on 22/01/2023 10:50:

But with a short critical weld like that, by the time my eyes found focus these days, the weld would be over. I am hopelessly out of practice. And with the weather 95F in the shade at the moment it is too hot to stand outside and practice. I lurk in my air conditioned workshop but too many leaky old bikes to be welding in there!

Nicely summed up for me. The joys of getting old! Just remind me again of what they are..........question

26/01/2023 18:04:17
Posted by Hopper on 22/01/2023 10:50:41:

Committing sacrilege today, abbreviating the stock Norton brake pedal to match my rearset footpegs. Cut 180mm out of it and now it's off to my mate the aircraft welder to get tigged up, along with the chainguard I made up earlier. My hands are too shaky and my eyes too dim for that sort of thin welding these days. And the brake pedal is some kind of cast steel so not sure of what rod to use to weld that, so let the perfessionals deal with it.

P

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2023 10:51:05

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2023 10:54:24

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2023 10:54:46

I always understood that that sort of bike fitting was made of malleable iron. Back when I could see, I just welded as if they were steel. Never had a breakage.

Thread: 1960 Bullet Albion gearbox obscure item
24/01/2023 10:15:04

The outer cover is to the usual British gearbox design as far as the outer cover is concerned enclosing the positive stop mechanism and the unique to Albion neutral finder. Not a very good positive stop! As far as I am aware, the box is lubricated with 40w oil, not the semi runny grease that some boxes used. There is a hardened mainshaft sleeve that runs on the mainshaft with no bushes so I wouldn't have thought that grease would penetrate the small clearance. The Albion is about on par with a Vincent box, both serviceable but not amenable to quick changes.

23/01/2023 13:13:55

Hi Hopper,

The screw is just to close the oil hole for the gear change and kickstart shafts, as I suspected. It was just idle curiousity on my part that Nick has answered. There is no oil in the outer cover and the level plug is on the rear of the gearbox.

23/01/2023 09:41:35

Thanks Nick, position 4 is the very one. I found several parts drawings on line but not that one. Minor mystery solved!

22/01/2023 20:13:52
Posted by Ady1 on 22/01/2023 19:44:22:

A photo would probably get better responses

I think it's one of those things you either know or not. It's just a cheese head screw, at a slight inward angle above the gear change shaft. It just appears to close a hole. It's not important, I'm just curious.

22/01/2023 19:31:02

What is the 3/16" Whit cheese head screw above the gear change shaft on the outer cover for? I can find no reference to it anywhere. Surely must be to oil lubricate the gear change shaft and kickstart shaft, but if so, why not a grease nipple?

Thread: Sunbeam B24 350cc 1939
17/01/2023 17:14:24
Posted by Hopper on 17/01/2023 09:23:40:
Posted by Sakura on 17/01/2023 08:31:07:

The Sunbeam is a late 30s bike, manufactured under AMC ownership. Nickel plating, as a final finish, finished around 1930 therefore the shiny bits would be chrome plated over the nickel.

Proper flash one then.

Not sure what it is like in the UK these days but the cost of chrome plating has become virtually unaffordable here. Most of the chrome platers closed down due to restrictive laws on waste disposal and WHS etc and the few left charge whatever they like, which is a lot. The days of chromed tanks are gone and it's cheaper to buy a whole new exhaust system from Armours etc than to get your old one rechromed. Same for headlights and mudguards etc.

A lot of guys are buying the kits and doing their own home plating of nickel and zinc instead. Not sure if you can do chrome or not. But it works well for all the small stuff.

There are at few chrome platers left in the UK but it's. expensive . Typically a front mudguard is around £150. I have spoken to a couple of industrial platers who do zinc and other plating and they say it's nigh impossible to get permission to chrome plate. Existing platers possibly have a bit more leeway? You're absolutely right that it's often more cost effective to buy a new part already chromed than to chrome an original part. Is it still original if it has been rechromed? That's another discussion altogether of course. Home chrome plating does not appear to be an option. On some less valuable bikes I have seen a "chrome" like powder coating used. It's not bad and is a huge cost saving. Who knows how really good it may be in time?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate