By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

4.75" LBSC Pansy- Adding Firebox Staybolts?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Brancifort22/11/2022 05:12:09
1 forum posts
1 photos

Hello everyone,

I have the opportunity to acquire a 4.75" gauge LBSC Pansy locomotive, and it looks quite nice, except it seems to have been built to the original 1958-1960 drawings. This means that there are no stays above the firehole door, which I believe has been brought up as a potential issue when getting the boiler certified.

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to large scale live steam, so I'm not aware of the order of operations when it comes to fabricating a boiler.

Is it possible to drill holes through the two rear sheets and silver solder stays in place? The locomotive isn't fully complete, and the backhead isn't fitted out yet. The boiler itself is fully complete however, having been hydro'ed some time ago.

If stays can be added, should I use threaded stays, or just silver solder some copper rivets in place?

Thanks in advance, I'd appreciate your advice.

RMA22/11/2022 08:02:59
332 forum posts
4 photos

4.75 inch gauge? I'd check that out before you buy it. Club tracks are 3.5 ; 5 or 7.25 inch.

Nicholas Farr22/11/2022 08:52:32
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi, LBSC's Pansy design is a 5" gauge, but he did give some guidance for building a 2-1/2" gauge one also. If someone has built a 4-3/4" one, it's an oddball one.

For information, the scan below shows dimensions of the 5" gauge wheels, axles etc.

pansy wheels & axles etc..jpg

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 22/11/2022 09:09:17

davidk22/11/2022 09:08:26
60 forum posts

Where we in the UK, for example, have 5" gauge, the USA and Canada use 4 3/4" gauge instead, so quite normal over there. This is done as it's very close to scale gauge for 1" to the foot loco's.

Regards

David

Nicholas Farr22/11/2022 09:12:05
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi David, that's useful information.

Regards Nick.

Redsetter22/11/2022 09:12:05
239 forum posts
1 photos

OP - I think you will find that the gauge is 5 inches - measured over the flanges rather than between them - but do check. 4 3/4" gauge is used in the USA for example, so it is not impossible that somebody has adapted the design..

Before trying to modify the boiler, check that the absence of stays is actually an issue, and not just an old wife's tale. There must be many Pansies in circulation built to the original drawings and operating safely, even if they do not conform to current practice. Your club's boiler inspector would be able to advise you. It may be acceptable as it is.

Stays can be added using either of the methods you suggest, but it is perhaps not as easy as it may look if you have no experience of boiler making. So, make sure that you really do need them.

Paul Lousick22/11/2022 09:13:46
2276 forum posts
801 photos

Depending on build quality and price, it should not be a big job to re-gauge it to 5" if it is actually a 4-3/4" . But check with your boiler inspector first to determine if the boiler or modifications are acceptable otherwise it could be very costly.

I am not familiar with the design of the boiler is a Pansy, but some boilers are fitted with girder stays instead of bars, which are not apparent from looking at the outside. Have you inspected inside to see its construction ?

Edited By Paul Lousick on 22/11/2022 09:37:09

Clive India22/11/2022 10:20:48
277 forum posts

A boiler inspector will be interested in whether the boiler is to a recognised design, which the Pansy is. So - is it built to the drawings?
A bigger issue may be, if it is built to the original drawings, are there flanges for the ancilliaries - or do they screw directly into the copper. The original drawings do show it this way.
This is not the best technique and an inspector may not be fully supportive. There is no real reason, in my opinion, why this would be a show-stopper if the boiler passes a hydraulic test - but it is for some inspectors.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate