Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Help needed on plugging cylinder

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Callaghan15/11/2022 12:36:37
173 forum posts
7 photos

Hi. I have a cylinder made of bronze that someone has drilled two holes in the side and tapped. I think that they may of been inspection ports. These two holes are in the valve part of the cylinder not the piston. I have made some plugs for these holes but I have hit a problem. I can’t silver solder the plugs into position has I can’t get enough heat into the cylinder.
so what can I use to seal these two plugs that will not allow steam to bypass. I don’t think that loctite will work given the location and the heat involved.
anyone have an idea. Thanks

JasonB15/11/2022 13:12:05
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

JB Weld will withstand the heat and pressure, just make sure it is the "original formula" one not rapid or marine. Red and black labels. Just coat both threads and screw in the plugs, allow to set for a couple of days.

Hopper15/11/2022 13:15:26
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Ordinary soft solder would work too. Steam will not melt that.

noel shelley15/11/2022 14:14:16
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Comsol ! higher melting point ! Noel.

Michael Callaghan15/11/2022 14:44:39
173 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks chaps. I can’t use Comsol as I can’t get enough heat into the cylinder to allow its use. I forgot about soft solder which melts at around 180 to 240*c so it will not melt from the steam. I think that given the fact that the plug threads will deal with the pressure just leaving the solder to fill any caps. I will try this first and hope it works. Thanks

bernard towers15/11/2022 21:03:24
1221 forum posts
161 photos

why not start a taper tap in the hole and thread a piece of bronze bar and screw in it should tighten onto the taper and seal it ,cut off and dress back.

Peter Seymour-Howell15/11/2022 21:32:06
125 forum posts
25 photos

Before trying to plug it permantly I would take a closer look at their possible role. You mentioned inspection holes and this is most likely the case, their role considering their position in the steam chest is most likely to help set the valve timing. If so they will be positioned so that you can set the valves to the ports. These can be sealed by suitable plugs and perhaps some loctite steam sealant. It can be very helpful having such viewing ports to help set the timing.

Pete

Neil Wyatt15/11/2022 22:02:12
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Boss white. Then you can disassemble if you need to.

Neil

Ady115/11/2022 23:48:25
6137 forum posts
893 photos

lead babbit? tin babbit?

duncan webster16/11/2022 00:10:46
5307 forum posts
83 photos

If they are just inspection ports and don't interfere with the piston or valve bores, then I'd use PTFE tape. Just make sure it is on the threads, not overhanging the end, then you don't get whiskers of tape into the system. Most of the time they just blow through, but they can get caught up and cause problems

John Rutzen16/11/2022 07:50:33
411 forum posts
22 photos

Loctite will be fine too. Have you ever tried getting it apart by heating? Steam at the temperatures we use won't remove it. I've loctited liners into cylinders more than once in steam engines. I've had to do this when a blowhole appeared in the bore. You can also loctite small screws into boilers for say holding the firedoor on though I prefer not to drill holes in a finished boiler to fit things like support brackets but they won't leak or come out.

Andy Ash17/11/2022 13:37:59
159 forum posts
36 photos

I'd vote for Comsol as well. It only melts at 300 degC, but that's plenty enough for cylinders. Being a higher melting point than 60/40 it retains more strength at higher temperature.

The only problem you might have with Comsol is that it requires a different flux from 60/40 and pure tin. Most leaded and lead free fluxes only just make it to 230 degC. For Comsol you need "Bakers Fluid" which is otherwise described as a Zinc Chloride flux.

Don't get the flux on anything other than the work. It rots just about anything it comes into contact with, and is a devil to get rid of. It will dilute in water. On steel it somehow penetrates into the surface, such that reoccuring rust appears where none did before.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate