By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

!960s Eterna-Matic automatic watch, Can anyone recommend a repairer?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian P03/11/2022 21:42:38
2747 forum posts
123 photos

I honestly cannot remember when I last had this watch serviced but it has recently taken to stopping at random times.

I know there are some members here with an interest in horology so hope that someone can recommend a trusted repairer.

I have not yet investigated whether there is an official Eterna matic workshop but suspect that it will not be cheap

Ian P

Clive Steer03/11/2022 22:03:26
227 forum posts
4 photos

Ian

If you check out the British Horological Institute website there should be a list of clock and watch repairers. You can chose one close to where you are.

CS

peak403/11/2022 22:10:26
2207 forum posts
210 photos

From Eterna's web site, Timewise Services are the official repairers and servicers for their products
https://www.eterna.com/service-centers
https://www.timewiseservices.co.uk/

No experience of them myself

Bill

bernard towers03/11/2022 22:46:43
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Try Simon Michlmayr & co ltd. Tempus Works. Fletcher Way Norwich NR3 3ST. 01603 403687

vintage engineer03/11/2022 22:54:15
293 forum posts
1 photos

Rolex charge about £500 for a standard service.

Clive Hartland04/11/2022 07:33:33
2929 forum posts
41 photos

I put my Omega seamaster automatic in for service, it took 10 days and when it came back all the bright surfaces on the machanism were all scratched. also they had lost the regulating screw saying it was fine and not to worry, for £100.00 fee, this was in 2004, I have to say that the Omega has kept worse time than my digital watch since!

Pick your watch repairer with care!

peak404/11/2022 09:48:57
2207 forum posts
210 photos
Posted by Clive Hartland on 04/11/2022 07:33:33:

I put my Omega seamaster automatic in for service, it took 10 days and when it came back all the bright surfaces on the machanism were all scratched. also they had lost the regulating screw saying it was fine and not to worry, for £100.00 fee, this was in 2004, I have to say that the Omega has kept worse time than my digital watch since!

Pick your watch repairer with care!

This place keeps on popping up on my Facebook timeline as an advert; not sure why, I must have been looking at watch stuff a while ago.
Some nice repair/restoration photo documentaries on this page, including one of a Seamaster
https://www.nottinghamwatchrepair.com/new-blog

Bill

Clive Hartland04/11/2022 11:37:34
2929 forum posts
41 photos

The big swiss watch makers now no longer supply parts to watchmakers. Only to their distributors.I would make sure the, 'Eterna matic', went to the main UK agent as stated by Peak4.

Clive Steer04/11/2022 12:03:49
227 forum posts
4 photos

Ian P

I can recommend Nick Gauntlett who is in East Sussex and is an accredited watch repairer on the BHI site where his contact details can be found.

Most 1960's quality watch types are easy to service. However, from the 70's onwards, even quality Swiss watches, started to use plastic parts, especially in the date change area, which deteriorate with age and spares are difficult to come by. This was mainly to reduce cost as the competition from quartz watch makers took effect.

Counter intuitively, spares for early watches can be easier to get hold of than for more modern Swiss watches where supply of parts are restricted to approved repair centres. I believe to become an approved Rolex repair centre you have to go on a month long Rolex training course and buy something like £80k's worth of tooling from them.

CS

Ian P04/11/2022 15:33:37
2747 forum posts
123 photos

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have contacted some of the repairers mentioned via their website enquiry forms so I await their responses. About ten years ago I had a similar experience to Clive which has made me wary.

I am not a watch wearer and the Eterna-matic is worn by my wife and has some sentimental value, actually we have two identical examples both with the same symptoms. Whilst I suppose we only need one to be usable it seems a shame to keep a broken second one in drawer indefinitely.

Ian P

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate