Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Resistor Colour Code?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Cook 628/07/2022 19:23:45
462 forum posts
113 photos

I have a dead LED batten. Opening it up I found that a wire wound resistor had overheated - and gone open circuit. However I cant figure out what resistance it was supposed to be.

It's a 5W(?) series resistor between the incoming 240v mains and the control circuit.

resistor code.jpg

The colour code seems to be Red-Black-Gold-Gold-Black which beats me. Two gold bands seems to have escaped my code charts. As has a black tolerance band. But Black as the first digit also seems wrong!

Can someone with more electronics experience possibly give me an idea of what It might be.

Thanks

Les Jones 128/07/2022 19:46:31
2292 forum posts
159 photos

This will be a fusible resistor that forms the function of a fuse.There will be other failed components that have caused this resistor to fail. You will need to identify and replace ALL the components that have failed.
I think the resistor was probably 2 ohms. 20 x first gold multiplier of 0.1. second gold tolerance. I think the end black possibly indicates that it is a fusible resistor.

Les.

Andrew Johnston28/07/2022 19:47:03
7061 forum posts
719 photos

A wirewound non-precision resistor is unlikely to use four bands to determine value. To me the leftmost band looks brown rather than red. So I take the resistor to be as follows, from the left:

Value: Brown Black Gold - 10x0.1 = 1 ohm

Tolerance: Gold - 5%

The rightmost black band could be temp coefficient, in which case it is 250ppm/K, ie, not very good.

Andrew

noel shelley28/07/2022 19:47:33
2308 forum posts
33 photos

20 Ohms ? 5% and 5watt ! Noel

Anthony Knights28/07/2022 19:48:09
681 forum posts
260 photos

Gold as a multiplier is x 0.1 ohms. Gold as tolerance is 5%. That would make your resistor 2 ohms if it wasn't for the 4th black band. Don't know what that is there for.**LINK**

peak428/07/2022 21:07:50
2207 forum posts
210 photos

I believe the final black band indicates that it is non inductively wound.

Have a look at this data sheet
https://www.yageo.com/upload/media/product/productsearch/datasheet/lr/YAGEO%20NKN_datasheet_2021v0.pdf

Bill

Peter Cook 628/07/2022 21:43:50
462 forum posts
113 photos

Thanks folks. Mystery solved, the fusible resistor suggestion led to Queen Mao Electronic - Products - Resistor Color Code

That site says "If an additional fifth band is black, the resistor is wire wound resistor. If an additional fifth band is white, the resistor is fusible resistor." I had not seen that before.

So it's probably a 1 (or possibly 2) ohm 5% wire wound 5 watt resistor. I can't see any signs of damage elsewhere on the board. I am thinking that the sort of power it would take to blow that resistor would have left some sort of evidence on the rest of the board which is mainly surface mounted IC's and resistors.

I might venture a repair. The unit has been replaced by the supplier under warranty, so it's an academic exercise

Thanks again.

John Reese30/07/2022 02:32:24
1071 forum posts

A mnemonic for remembering the order of colors: Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly.

Nicholas Farr30/07/2022 09:01:43
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi, another way to remember the order of colours and without incriminating anyone by fact or hypothetically is;

0 blackberries, 1 brown bear, 2 red roses, 3 oranges, 4 yellow yachts, 5 green grasses, 6 blue-bells, 7 violet violins, 8 grey graylings and 9 white whales.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 30/07/2022 09:03:49

Steve Neighbour30/07/2022 11:44:33
135 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by John Reese on 30/07/2022 02:32:24:

A mnemonic for remembering the order of colors: Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly.

Which equated to Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Grey, Blue, Violet, Green, White (I think) indecision

I was taught a different one to that back in the politically incorrect 70's

Probably can't repeat that nowadays thinking

(first word was 'Black' and V = 'virgin'

I'm sure those old enough will remember the rest !!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate