X2 mini mill way covers

Need advice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Munce10/02/2022 06:50:28
12 forum posts
8 photos

Hi

Has anyone made any way covers for their mill as the ones what come with it are a bit naff

Would love to see your ideas please pictures would help me loads

Thanks in advance

Thor 🇳🇴12/02/2022 05:56:25
1766 forum posts
46 photos

Hi Robert,

My milling machine didn't come with any waycover for the front so I simply used a rubber sheet that I attached with some screws:

waycover_01s.jpg

You can buy covers/machine bellows.

Thor

JasonB12/02/2022 06:59:45
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I've always wondered why they put the covers on the smaller mills but not the larger? 15yrs with my uncovered X3 ways and I have no problem with them after a lot of use.

Robert Munce12/02/2022 07:50:40
12 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Jason.

My lead screw is exposed so I'm thinking not only the way covers but also screw cover.

Have you had any problems with your lead screw then.

Thanks

Thor 🇳🇴12/02/2022 10:04:50
1766 forum posts
46 photos

Protecting the feed screw on my milling machine was an important point when I covered the front on my milling machine. So far I have had no problems - the milling machine is a decade old.

Thor

Peter G. Shaw12/02/2022 10:22:12
1531 forum posts
44 photos

My X2 clone, actually a Warco MiniMill came with corrugated plastic covers for the Y axis. (Is that right? I'm referring to the forward & backwards slide as distinct from the side to side slide.) These quite quickly cracked and split in the folds of the corrugations. I then replaced them with other corrugated plastic stuff supposedly meant for this job but which also quickly cracked and split. In the end, I used an idea by, I think, Harold Hall and that was to use polyurethane varnished cardboard from breakfast cereal packs, lightly scored where I wanted folds. These are lasting much longer than the plastic stuff. The downside is that they are stiff and get in the way when up against the travel limits, mainly up against the column. Hence, as I approach the column, I use a slim rod, screwdriver, whatever just to lift the cardboard such that it then bunches up above the slide.

FWIW, I used two coats of any old indoor coloured varnish, just what was left in the bottom of the can.

Peter G. Shaw

John Hinkley12/02/2022 10:45:45
1545 forum posts
484 photos

I replaced the supplied sheet "rubber" Y-axis way protector on my Warco VMC mill in pretty short order and substituted **LINK** . They are well into their sixth year of use and show no sign of wear or tear. Like Peter, I lift them out of harms way when the table is traversed to its maximum extent towards the column. Highly recommended. No connections, etc.

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 12/02/2022 10:47:00

Edited By John Hinkley on 12/02/2022 10:47:45

Ron Laden13/02/2022 07:53:06
2320 forum posts
452 photos

I,ve never bothered with covers on my Sieg SX2P, its done quite a bit of work in 3 years and never had a problem, just clean it down between jobs.

Andrew Tinsley13/02/2022 10:45:55
1817 forum posts
2 photos

I was looking through the Arc website last night and saw a good few concertina covers for Sieg mills. I have not got a clue if they are any good or even if they fit your mill, but maybe worth you having a browse.

Andrew..

JasonB13/02/2022 12:16:51
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

My X3 screws are not in the firing line so possibly why there are none fitted.

Ron Laden13/02/2022 14:11:20
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Same here, on my SX2 the leadscrews are not open to swarf so its not a worry.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate