Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Type 2 precision vice from Arc euro

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pete.25/08/2021 22:46:43
910 forum posts
303 photos

After buying a little Adept no2 hand shaping machine on ebay last week, I decided a vice of some description was necessary.

A 70mm type 2 precision vice looks like it might be suitable if any owners could answer a question it would be much appreciated.

On some of these vices, it looks as if a rod is pushed out of a hole in the side to move to the next position, on the arc version it has no holes, is the cap head allen screw pushed in and under spring tension, then the movable jaw slides to the next position?

ChrisH25/08/2021 23:19:09
1023 forum posts
30 photos

I have one for my Adapt No.2 shaper, bought from Arc for the very same reason.

From what I remember and without checking - not used it in anger yet - what you describe is correct but not absolutely certain re the spring. Certainly works very easily and well, no worries.

Is your Adept totally hand operated or has it been motorised? If so, I would be interested in seeing how it was done!

Chris

Dennis R25/08/2021 23:24:47
76 forum posts
16 photos

In the Arc advert if you click on the ' More ' tab at the top right, there is a description of how the vice works.

Dennis

Pete.26/08/2021 00:06:47
910 forum posts
303 photos

Hi Chris, my no2 is just a standard hand operated version, I needed to put it out the way when not in use, space is getting pretty scarce now.

Thank you Dennis, it appears the cap head screw is tilted while an allen key is placed inside so the pin disengages the rack.

I'll probably give one a try and see what it's like.

John Hinkley26/08/2021 08:02:46
1545 forum posts
484 photos

For what it's worth, as you asked for experiences with this vice, I use one on my 5" Perfecto shaper. It works very well as decribed in the 'more' tab to which Dennis R refers. In this shot it is mounted at 90°to its 'normal' position.

New clapper box

John

(The new clapper is not clamped in the vice - it's just sitting on top of it for photographic purposes.)

Howard Lewis26/08/2021 08:44:54
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Note the warning not to disengage the Allen Clamp screw, because of the difficulty of re-engaging it!

The screw is slackened far enough to allow the bar to disengage from the semi-circular "rack", to allow the jaw to be moved along the base, before being re-engaged and the screw tightened to pull the moving jaw forwards and downwards to clamp the workpiece.

As an aside, I graduated the dials on my No.2. The Cross Slide was straightforward with 100 divisions of a thou. for the 10 tpi Leadscrew.

The downfeed Leadscrew is 16 tpi, so that dial has 62 full divisions and a small one for the final 0.0005"!

Somewhere there there is a system for an automatic feed for the cross Slide. One day, I'll get round to making and fitting it!

Howard

John P26/08/2021 09:48:53
451 forum posts
268 photos

Hi,
For those of you who may be interested in buying this type
of vice have a look in J&L MSC Advantage Flyer August
page 13 at these Interstate vices on offer.

jand l vice1.jpg

I bought the larger of the two some while back ,its very well
made.

j and l vice 2.jpg

John

ega26/08/2021 11:01:12
2805 forum posts
219 photos

John Hinkley:

OT query

I have a 5" Perfecto and was interested in your new clapper; have you written it up somewhere, please?

And what is the purpose of the pulley on the other end of the drive shaft?

John Hinkley26/08/2021 11:12:38
1545 forum posts
484 photos

ega,

The pulley that you enquire about is on the end of the drive shaft - it's a powered shaper. There is a jpeg of a dxf file in my album:

DXF file

If you would like a copy of the original, pm me and hope that I can find it!

John

Pete.26/08/2021 19:54:22
910 forum posts
303 photos

John H, this style of vice looks quite neat on these little shapers, is that the 70mm version on yours?

Out of interest, what benefit does the new clapper give you?

Howard, interesting you mentioned that about the dials, it's a complaint I've read before from owners, definitely something I will address, not sure about the crossfeed automation, I'll probably see how I get on with it as is before looking into that seriously, do you use your Adept No2 much? A lot of people seem to buy them as a novelty then stick them on a shelf to gather dust, I've never seen anything made on one.

John P, that's really interesting, yours looks different from the one pictured, how does the jaw movement operate on yours? I can't see holes in side? But there are in the picture?

Edited By Pete. on 26/08/2021 19:54:45

John P26/08/2021 20:22:38
451 forum posts
268 photos

Hi Pete.

I guess the flyer photo is the smaller of the two , the holes in the larger vice that i have
are just inside the hold down slots in either side ,the jaw movement and
mechanism works just the same as the Arc vices .

John

Pete.26/08/2021 21:05:54
910 forum posts
303 photos

Thanks for that John, I checked back at the Arc website and the price had gone up since I checked last night to £80 for the 70mm version, so I bought one of each size from MSC for £89, never used them before, the website is a bit weird to navigate, but couldn't turn down an extra vice for a tiny bit extra while on offer.

John Hinkley26/08/2021 22:23:39
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Pete.

Yes, it's the 70mm version and fits nicely in either orientation. I made the new clapper to accommodate 10mm square hss tools without any slop. The original clapper was imperial, of course and I'm mostly metric in my shop.

John

John P26/08/2021 23:48:24
451 forum posts
268 photos

Hi Pete.

They are a good buy these vices at the offer price ,they come around on the
MSC flyer quite often ,the one i have exceeds the stated squareness and
parallelism by a good margin .
Worth keeping a look out on their offers on the Advantage and also
in their Clearance sale , i have bought grinding wheels for as little
as £3 each in the past.

John

Pete.27/08/2021 01:32:56
910 forum posts
303 photos

John H, that makes sense, I look forward to having a play with this little shaper, hopefully get a better understanding of them, at the moment that understanding is very limited.

John P, I had a quick look at the online advantage catalogue, there's some interesting stuff there, you could lose a day looking through that treasure trove of engineering goodies.

Howard Lewis29/08/2021 09:08:38
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Pete,

From memory, (Can't find the article! ) the auto cross feed takes its drive from a longer grubscrew on the ram.

For an increment of 0.001" the wheel would need 100T. It could probably be made by gashing with a slitting saw. To keep things to a reasonable size, even a gash 0.0625" wide would mean a wheel nearly 4" diameter!

So may need to settle for a minimum feed of 0.002"/stroke, to bring the wheel to a sensible size. But that still leaves the pawl teeth vulnerable at only 0.0625, although they don't need to be particularly deep.

IF only I could find the article!

Howard

Howard Lewis29/08/2021 10:02:31
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Found the article, on an auto feed for the Adept No 2. I

It was in M E , 5th march 1953, by David Williams.

The ratchet wheel was a 35 T that he happened to have, and was 1.5" diameter, so the minimum feed per stroke would have been just 0.003"

A 40T wheel ( giving 0.0025"/ stroke minimum feed rate ) with 0.0625" gashes would be 1.59" diameter, so reasonable..

Howard

Pete.31/08/2021 20:24:06
910 forum posts
303 photos

Interesting Howard, thanks for that, something I'll look into a bit more seriously in the future.

The 2 vices arrived today, the 72mm version I originally thought would be suitable is a bit on the large side for the adept no2, the 50mm version is the one I'll use, at 140mm total length, with 75mm opening, it's quite a neat little vice.

Shaper vice

Henry Brown03/09/2021 11:51:13
618 forum posts
122 photos
Posted by John P on 26/08/2021 09:48:53:

Hi,
For those of you who may be interested in buying this type
of vice have a look in J&L MSC Advantage Flyer August
page 13 at these Interstate vices on offer.

John

Has anyone worked out how to order these at the stated price on line as I could do with a 3"? I've signed up and applied the special discount code but it still states £93 odd!

Dalboy03/09/2021 12:10:30
1009 forum posts
305 photos
Posted by Pete. on 26/08/2021 21:05:54:

Thanks for that John, I checked back at the Arc website and the price had gone up since I checked last night to £80 for the 70mm version, so I bought one of each size from MSC for £89, never used them before, the website is a bit weird to navigate, but couldn't turn down an extra vice for a tiny bit extra while on offer.

The only MSC I could find was in Dollars or have I got the wrong company is there a link you could post or even message me with. Many thanks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate