Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Milling machine

What is it?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jonathon Bywater15/08/2021 16:22:39
34 forum posts

I keep seeing this advertised but cant find any info about it. It looks sturdy enough and a square column but I it s got to be ok for model engineering work without shakes and wobbles. Grateful for any help if anyone knows anything about Jones and Shipman ancient milling machines.

Thanks Jonathon

Hopefully photo will turn up!

Edited By Jonathon Bywater on 15/08/2021 16:26:54

Photo wont turn up, no idea  how to do that. Better just forget that one,sorry!

Edited By Jonathon Bywater on 15/08/2021 16:31:59

Brian H15/08/2021 16:31:10
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Hello Jonathon, this is my go- to site for old machines;

**LINK**

Al the best,

Brian

Jonathon Bywater15/08/2021 16:34:36
34 forum posts

Thank you Brian. Your site is most useful and I ve used it many times,unfirtunately no Jones and Shipman under milling machines. Apart from tbe one advertised !

old mart15/08/2021 16:47:15
4655 forum posts
304 photos

Hi, Jonathon, try putting "albums" in the keyword box at the top of the page, or "photos", there will be some useful advise. For adding a link, you can go to the site and right click on the address and "cut". Then paste to the icon marked "link" above.

Edited By old mart on 15/08/2021 16:47:39

Jonathon Bywater15/08/2021 16:50:20
34 forum posts

Got it thank you. I ve just bought it too. I m removing my reliance on chinese stuff. Dont ask why it would take too long and that lovely old machine will do well.

old mart15/08/2021 16:59:01
4655 forum posts
304 photos

Great, get some pictures posted when you have worked out how to do so.

Jonathon Bywater15/08/2021 19:34:54
34 forum posts

I will do oldmart. Seems its quite big so I ll have nothing to worry about model engineering . I might keep the chinese one too for tiny milling.

old mart15/08/2021 20:40:50
4655 forum posts
304 photos

It is handy to have 2 machines if you can manage it, and a lathe as well to complete the set. Be prepared to partly dismantle it if it is too big or heavy to get into position easily.

Edited By old mart on 15/08/2021 21:04:14

not done it yet15/08/2021 21:09:30
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Jonathon Bywater on 15/08/2021 16:34:36:

Thank you Brian. Your site is most useful and I ve used it many times,unfirtunately no Jones and Shipman under milling machines. Apart from tbe one advertised !

Are you sure it is a Jones and Shipman? Or is it an Adcock and Shipley?

Pete.15/08/2021 21:19:40
910 forum posts
303 photos

Take a screenshot on your phone, upload that, it's impossible for anyone to help you identify it without a picture.

SillyOldDuffer16/08/2021 09:13:41
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Is it this one, as advertised on lathes.co.uk at the moment?

jonesandshipman.jpg

Not a tool for removing lots of metal quickly I suspect. Looks like a mill-drill currently fitted with a Jacobs Chuck (no good for milling). I guess from its layout the machine was designed for delicate work and note the seller wants to upgrade to a Tom Senior or Centec.

Condition is everything. Are you able to travel to Newton Abbot to see it in action? Watching it cut metal will reveal if if suits your needs or not.

Anyone familiar with this machine or similar in action?

Dave

Pete.16/08/2021 09:22:39
910 forum posts
303 photos

That's a Jones and Shipman drill with a far eastern XY table bolted to it, the fact it's been used as a mill is terrible abuse of a nice old drill, and trying to sell it as a mill is terribly dishonest, the seller must know this isn't a milling machine, which is why he wants to swap it for a milling machine.

Nicholas Farr16/08/2021 10:15:19
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi, I agree with Pete that the XY table is not native to the machine that it is on, I have one of those XY tables which was fairly cheap when bought new, compared to others that were available at the time.

Regards Nick

not done it yet16/08/2021 11:51:57
7517 forum posts
20 photos

As per Dave and Pete.

Here’s one on ebay:

J&S pillar drill

The pics show the vertical axis is not likely a very “precision” piece of kit.

With the jacobs type chuck as possibly with a non-descript attachment to the column and a cheap table makes it not even worth a trip to look at it, even if fairly close. Simply a non-starter for anyone who is serious about milling.

Dave Halford16/08/2021 11:58:29
2536 forum posts
24 photos

The add on x/y table also takes up all the z distance. If it's that one, it's a lovely old £200 drill.

Robert Butler16/08/2021 14:57:55
511 forum posts
6 photos

Ooops!

Robert Butler

Nigel Graham 219/08/2021 23:49:31
3293 forum posts
112 photos

To be fair to the seller of the machine photographed, the ':L'-plate might be appropriate! It looks as if does take a pride in his machine-tools but was genuinely either unaware of what he was doing, or doing the best he could at the time.

It is fine as what it is - a very good drilling-machine with a co-ordinate table, and possibly fitted with a raising-block to compensate for the table-height.

It most definitely is NOT for milling though. No drilling-machine is.

I'm a bit wary of that motor-frame too. It is difficult to make out but does it rely on tilting the frame to tension the belt; in a direction that would pull the belt out of line with the Vee-grooves? Not good for the belt, pulleys or bearings. I would have bolted the machine's stand to the floor and the motor-frame to the wall or to pillars rising from the stand, with a different tensioning arrangement.

Up-grading to a Centec? Yes, that is a proper milling-machine but with a much smaller table and travels than on that drill.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate