Help please!

Myford Lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Diane Booth25/04/2021 19:56:44
6 forum posts
14 photos

20210423_161835.jpgHi,

I'm writing on here to request help on trying to identify various tools that are in my dad's garage who recently passed away.

He was an engineer and loved model engineering so I thought this might be a good place to start. Basically I'm hoping someone can identify/ value? this Myford lathe. It dates from around the 1940's as it was previously owned by my grandfather who used it in his toy factory where he made lead toys before and during the war.

It does work and I've attached some photos that will hopefully help. It has a number stamped on it V1014. 20210423_161808.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help. 20210423_161812.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 26/04/2021 12:50:21

Jim Nic26/04/2021 10:36:07
406 forum posts
235 photos

Bump

Journeyman26/04/2021 11:07:02
1257 forum posts
264 photos

ML1 on early stand (possibly) Have a look at Lathes.co.uk for more info.

John

Brian Wood26/04/2021 12:49:59
2742 forum posts
39 photos

Hello Diane,

You asked for some idea of value. Much depends on what accessories it has to go with it, other chucks, faceplate, stead(y)s and the set of change wheels for example, the list is not exclusive. These Myford lathes hold their value and one in cared for family ownership, rather than end of life eBay disposal, could fetch up to £500. A private sale will always do better for you than via a dealer offer.

You might find someone on the forum who would be willing to visit and give you a better idea; some idea of your town/city location will I'm sure get a volunteer. I live in North Yorkshire outside Thirsk if that gives you some idea.

Good luck Brian

Diane Booth26/04/2021 13:13:22
6 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks for all the replies, I do really appreciate the time people have taken to reply.

Myford have said it may be an ML2. I does look like a picture of one on lathes.co.uk. There are loads of attachments for it but don't know what they are called. It was bought new by my Grandad and has been in the family since then. It is in Nantwich,Cheshire if that would be of interest to anyone.

Thanks

Howard Lewis26/04/2021 14:42:14
7227 forum posts
21 photos

According to the Lathes UK website:

If it is a ML1 the centre height will be 3 1/8" with 15" centre distance, ML2 is 24" centres.

If a ML3 this will be 3 1/2". centre height.and 15" centre distance, ML4 is 24" centres..

Someone more expert than I should be able to date the machine from the Serial number, but it will be a fairly early one a guess, judged by the flat belt drive. Probably about 1938 /39? (Later machines had Vee belt drive ), and the type of Tailstock.

On the earlier machines the chucks screwed onto a 7/8 Whitworth thread (7/8 x 9 threads per inch )

Later this was changed to 7/8 x 12 tpi, and some of the very latest machines had a 1 1/8 inch x 12 tpi thread.

Having a full set of change gears and, hopefully, a four jaw chuck will be good selling points, as will the four way toolpost (The original tool post held only a single tool )

The fact that the machine is on the Myford stand, with the Counbtershaft should add to the value.

Hope that this is of some help

Howard

Nigel Graham 226/04/2021 15:28:28
3293 forum posts
112 photos

Can you add a photo or photos of the accessories? Do that and we can soon identify them between us, for you.

As a start:

The chuck that is on there, looks to be the 3-jaw variety. That T-shaped item in the tray below it, is it operating-key.

A four-jaw chuck is similar but, well, with 4 moving jaws.

A faceplate is a large disc with a threaded hole in the centre, and a pattern of several radial slots or holes. Like the chucks, it is for holding work-pieces.

The "change-gears" Howard cites (aka change-wheels) are a set of gears each with the number of its teeth stamped or embossed on it. They are assembled by their appropriate numbers onto the lathe for when cutting screw-threads.

The pointed thing sticking out of the "tailstock" (the tall, red unit at the right-hand end), is a "centre" and there should be at least another, with a sharp point at one end and a longer, tapered tail (that in the photo is hidden inside the tailstock).

'

So, if you can supply photos of whatever there is with this machine, we can identify at least the most important items, and possibly weed out any odds and ends that have moved in with them. Doing that will enable you to catalogue it properly and hopefully find a caring new home for it all.

Diane Booth26/04/2021 20:18:24
6 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks again for all the replies.

I'll try to sort through some cupboards and see if I can try and identify what might be related to the lathe.

mark costello 126/04/2021 20:49:20
800 forum posts
16 photos

Why don't You hang around a bit and We will teach You to use it. It is a relaxing hobby.

Martyn Ball27/04/2021 22:53:05
13 forum posts
12 photos

Hi diane, its a sad fact there so few oldies that want to collect these items. like old motorbikes, cars etc. youngsters do not have any connection with them. probably want to collect old computers or games.best thing is to find a museum that will take these items. Re Martyn

Pete Rimmer27/04/2021 23:40:57
1486 forum posts
105 photos

Hi Diane,

My condolences on losing your dad it must be a trying time. I had to clear away my dad's workshop stuff and I kept some but most of it I had to get rid of.

Your dad's little lathe will have more sentimental value than monetary I would expect and most of the value is because the Myford name was made very popular by the later model 7 and it's iterations. I think that you'd do well to get a couple of hundred for it in that condition.

One thing I do see in the pic is what looks like a fixed steady tucked in the tray under the tail end of the bed. Those are not common and might be worth a few bob. I see it also has a threading dial (long vertical tube with a gear on the bottom, right by the letter F). Might be desirabl to someone.

The cover on the left end should open to expose some gears. There should be loose ones with it so they can be swapped about.

Good luck with your sale, I hope it does well but don't expect too much.

Nigel Graham 228/04/2021 08:23:56
3293 forum posts
112 photos

Diane -

If you possibly can, don't try selling it in bits and pieces as Pete seems to imply. As he says, it's probably not ever so valuable but worth more as a complete set. Selling the fittings separately will leave you with a machine very hard to sell.

As well as already implicitly advertising it here, many of us use a machine-tool archive and classified-advertising site called www.lathes.co.uk. It does charge, I think about £35, for an ad. but does sell machines a lot older than this one.

Another is www.homeworkshop.org.uk Not to be confused with "Home And Workshop", who are dealers, this is a privately-run sales and wants site.; It does not charge but does appreciate donations.

There are second-hand tool and machinery / workshop-clearance dealers, some of whom advertise in Model Engineer magazine; but though reputable companies will pay very little for most older machines, especially if they have to collect a long way from their shops..

Hopper28/04/2021 09:50:33
7881 forum posts
397 photos

It's worth advertising it for sale with all its accessories. There are people who collect old machine tools, and others perverse enough to enjoy actually using them to make things! You could post an ad for free on this forum for starters.

If you post pics of the accessories on this thread we can tell you what they are called and possibly what they might be worth. The lathe with a good set of the accessories is the most desirable as they frequently seem to get lost over the years and are not easy to find in this day and age. If it has "all the gear" it should sell without difficulty.

Even as it is shown, it should sell ok as it looks reasonably well cared for, for its age. That spiffy two-tone paint job is a sign somebody cared about the old girl.

Edited By Hopper on 28/04/2021 09:55:50

Howard Lewis28/04/2021 12:22:36
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Diane,

This is not merely a collector's item

It is a useable machine. (I know someone with a ML4, probably not as comprehensively equipped as yours, who uses it to earn his living )

If you can post pictures of the various bits and pieces, we can try to identify them, and advise on their use.

Things like the gears, Faceplate, centres drill chucks and chucks will add value to the lathe, so when the time comes to sell, include them in the package.

Ideally, you could do with someone fairly local to you to help sort through things and identify them.

Don't rush!

Howard

PS  It may be worth buying M E W Issue 303 for the article on choosing a lathe, since it identifies the various parts, to aid you describing the machine.

Edited By Howard Lewis on 28/04/2021 12:23:52

Diane Booth28/04/2021 12:36:53
6 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks again for the trouble everyone is going to to reply. I really appreciate it. I'm going to have a sort through stuff that is on and around the lathe on Friday / weekend . I'll post some pictures afterwards. There are just an over whelming number of tools to sort through ( not just this lathe) . There is a massive bench drill ,grinder, floor mounted vice and god knows how many tools!

Nigel Graham 228/04/2021 13:30:18
3293 forum posts
112 photos

Is there a model-engineering society reasonably close to your home, who can help?

My own society has done this for a few of our own members' families, handling the sales and obtaining sensible prices for the family.

Robert Dodds28/04/2021 16:41:10
324 forum posts
63 photos

Diane,

Nigel mentions Model engineering Societies. As you mention Nantwich there is the South Cheshire MES who meet at the back of the Peacock near the Nantwich bypass. They have a website with contact details on there and may be able to offer you some local advice /assistance.

Regards Bob D

Andrew Byron08/05/2021 18:55:28
34 forum posts
20 photos

As Howard says, this is a useable lathe, i certainly use mine. I paid 325 for my lathe on ebay, in a similar condition, i'd say yours might make between 250 and 400. the series 7 lathes are much more sought after than the M series lathes as they're more user friendly and can do more stuff. people will still want the M series though and old lathes always seem to make a decent price, here are a couple that sold recently

link

link

the bits and pieces might well be worth more than the lathe, but the main thing is to identify what they are so that you can have an accurate title on the listing and people can find them by searching. the best thing would be to put some photos up, i'm sure someone on here will identify what things are.

Condolences on your father, it's a sad fact that tools tend to outlive their owners, it's a good thing that they are passed on to people who can use and appreciate them though.

Edited By Andrew Byron on 08/05/2021 18:56:44

Swarf, Mostly!08/05/2021 19:23:54
753 forum posts
80 photos

Hi there, Diane,

My condolences on your loss.

I appreciate that you would want to complete the disposal of your father's effects as quickly as possible. However, I would urge you not to dispose of anything until you are sure that you have compiled a complete inventory. The danger is that premature partial disposal risks the breaking up and dispersal of sets.

I was once called in to help in the disposal of a deceased person's lathe and accessories. The lathe was in one part of the house but the coolant tank and pump were in the cellar! I know from my own workshop that not all parts of some multi-part accessories are stored together so dispersal is a risk. I know where they are but what if my workshop disposal is put in the hands of a lay person?!?!

If you can list on here (with pictures) all the workshop-related items you can find, we can advise you what parts go with what so that eventual recipients don't get accessories that are incomplete.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Ian Skeldon 208/05/2021 21:03:14
543 forum posts
54 photos

Hi Diane,

I live in Crewe so not very far away, although the lathe is of no interest to me I could pop around and help you put together a list of the items that are available with the lathe, at least that way you could advertise it as complete with etc,.

If you PM me I will be happy to let you have my contact details.

Regards,

Ian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate