By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robert Dodds

Here is a list of all the postings Robert Dodds has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Reliance drill grinding attachment.
11/04/2023 20:42:52

Steve,

May I reinforce Fowlers Fury's comment re drill point overhang beyond the end of the trough. This should be between 2 1/2 and 3 times the drill diameter. More projection give less back clearance on the flute and less projection gives more back clearance.
Of equal import is the matching of the alignment of the flute cutting edge to the "engraved" mark on the end of the trough and ensuring that when you turn the drill through 180 degrees in the trough that you accurately match the first setting. Failure will mean one flute cuts heavier and is likely to produce an oversize hole.

The Reliance is fundamentally a good tool but starts to be more erratic at sizes below 1/8", the point at which it could be most beneficial for old codgers and novices alike. (For different reasons) but in most cases the small drills are nowadays relatively low cost and can be treated as expendable.

Regards Bob D

Thread: MEW 319 - Roofing A Shed??????
20/08/2022 22:36:09

I’m a Tin Roof person but enough of that.
The article in 319 by Gary Wooding on constructing a Bandsaw blade tension meter I considered to be in the best traditions of MEW. The device was well illustrated in both 3D and exploded format and the line drawings allow easy reproduction of the unit. I was perhaps a little disappointed that the Assembly and Use only got a single paragraph and whilst it told you “How to” it missed out the “How much” (tension)

Thanks to Gary’s photo of the proprietary meter I had a look at Dakin and Flathers web site which contains a table of recommended tensions for different uses of their blades, expressed in both kPa and psi, the latter ranging from 15000 to 30000psi depending on usage.
I then found myself back in Young’s modulus territory doing Strength of Materials,

E= Stress /Strain

From which we get Extension /Original length = Stress/E
Gary’s original length , the distance between the two clamp screws, is approx 88mm
E, young modulus is fairly consistent for steel, varying between 29,000000 to 30,000000 psi
Substituting we get Extension = 88 x 20000/29,000000 = 0.0606mm (2 ½ thou in terms of Gary’s
½ thou Baty DTI)
Assuming my figuring stands scrutiny it may well be better to fit either a 0.001mm or a 0.0001” as this would give in the region of a half turn of the finger whereas the 0.0005 DTI will only move a fraction of that amount and be difficult to set accurately.

Would I make one, probably not. For the little bit of use that I put my saw to I’ll carry on Twanging.

Regards Bob D

Thread: FORUM DOWNTIME AND RESULTING ISSUES REPORTING
20/07/2022 20:06:08

Tim,

Have you noticed that the Forum is sponsored by "Binders Now Available" and using the Get in Touch link at the bottom of Forum Home gives a 9 till 5 number for Neil Wyatt as an open line to Orpington !!
In the transition of ownership I guess there will several other "differences" that will come to light.

Bob D

Edited By JasonB on 20/07/2022 20:22:29

Thread: Update on toolpost bolts
15/07/2022 20:09:15

untitled - 1.jpgChris,

Apologies for a daft question, but have you got a sprocket wheel on the bolt that the toolbox rotates on and that then fits in the recess on the bottom side of your toolbox when its all assembled. If not you won't get a positive index. The plunger on its own wont help much.

Regards Bob D

Edited By Robert Dodds on 15/07/2022 20:23:06

Thread: Nostalgic moment
25/05/2022 16:58:11

This 1935 Ford Greyhound served me well through my apprenticeship from 1954 to 1959. Cost £85 and sold on for £80. We both survived several bumps, rod brakes and all that. It had several engine refurbishments including a broken crank, but as it was 3 bearing, the front half carried on running, no drive to the clutch and flywheel of course and knocking like crazy,. All good fun though.

Bob D

arw223008.jpg

Thread: My mobile has "gained" an extra synbol
25/05/2022 15:35:47

I suggest you try and rediscover the "123" number you mentioned.
My voicemail is recovered by dialing 222. Different numbers are used by the various service providers.

Bob D

Thread: Removing a retaining washer
23/05/2022 18:05:21

I see Amazon do an assortment box for less than a tenner

Regards Bob D

Thread: Ping - and a screw is lost
19/04/2022 21:15:09

My dear wife is into "beading" and uses a beading mat.
It has a deeper pile than standard baize and her 2mm dia beads sit still whilst she picks them off with a threaded needle. They come in A4 size and larger, there is a wide variety on Amazon and lots of other bead shops via Google. You can also get sticky ones too and many are less than a £10 a pop.

Regards Bob D

Thread: Before calculators
15/04/2022 20:36:10

Hi,
Nobody has mentioned the Theorem of Intersecting Chords so far.

"The product of the line segments of two intersecting chords are equal."

So in this case 6 x 1 = 2.45 x 2.45 which can be expressed as Sq. root of 6 = 2.45 depending on how accurate you want to measure it.
The square root bit only applies in the case of one chord being a diameter as this then bisects the other chord to make two equal halves so forming a square.
Try putting the vertical chord at 4 + 3 so you get 4 x 3 and the chord length is 3.46 i.e. sq root 12 = 3.46

Bob D

Thread: kerry super 8 problem
27/03/2022 17:17:28

Alan,

Silly question but is the spindle rotation correct? Does the drill cut metal/ wood at all.

Regards

Bob D

Thread: Is this a record fuel price ?
13/03/2022 18:54:42

And who recalls T.V.O. (Tractor vapourising oil) aka paraffin that the Fordson tractor ran on once it was warmed up.
Started up on petrol but switched to T.V.O. after about 5minutes running. 1/2 the price of petrol.
On the L.s.d. story has anyone got any silver 3d joeys.
And as useless information, 3 old pence weighed an ounce, so 48 pence weighed a pound.

Funny old world!!!

Bob D

Thread: Concrete Panel Garage/Workshop
04/03/2022 19:01:54

Michael
Are you looking to acquire some of these panels? They are 4ft x 15 inch with centre bolt fixing holes at each end.
I recollect that they were Compton but it's a long time ago.
I have some spare smooth brick panels as per photo. They have propped up my apple tree for about 50 years but could be relieved of this duty if necessary.
The apple tree is just south of Crewe by the way.

img_20220303_143630.jpg

Thread: Diminishing chocolate bar
04/03/2022 18:09:46

Has no one realised that you are being saved from yourselves. Them in charge tell us that all this sweet stuff is bad for our health so we should eat less, hence smaller portions.
My whinge is with Nestle and their multi pack fruit pastilles. Used to get a 4 pack, on offer for a £1. Then the shelves were empty for a while. I did read in the press that Nestle were moving production to Continental Europe to minimise production costs. Now the multi packs are back on the shelves but as 3 packs and selling at £1. And that was before any gas price hike!!!
AND
I think optimum prices are set for 3 serving packs. Fine for families but not so good when the kids have fledged the nest

Bob D

Thread: hallo from stoke-on-trent
13/02/2022 12:06:16

Brian, Graham,

I went to Church this morning and when I got back home my prayer had been answered. Thanks.

Bob D

12/02/2022 16:58:05

Graham,

What gears have you got? Is there a 70T among st them?. If so you could be in with a chance but as Noel says check Tracy, Standards are but a few quid!

Bob D

Thread: What is this?
11/02/2022 22:02:31

An authoritative explanation of its uses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaRXvxjUz1Q

Bob D

Thread: hallo from stoke-on-trent
11/02/2022 21:41:26

Graham,

Does your lathe bear any resemblance to the blue Viceroy that features towards the bottom of lathes.co.uk entry for Viceroy lathes.

One of the pictures of that lathe shows a setting plate that includes 1.75 as one of the pitches that can be set on there

Regards Bob D

Thread: Drain cleaning brushes
11/02/2022 21:20:21

Oh for the days of coal fires and a Flue Brush.

Bob D

Thread: What is this?
11/02/2022 21:09:24

A skirmish on Google images suggests this is a fairly common pattern and the profiles are associated with buckles and badges. (not sure exactly how it was applied to them). There are examples of a simple slot version, for Privates, a one hole version attributed to Canadians and even one with a Harrods logo on it presumably for the Doorman and Lift Attendant to use. £6.99 if you want one

Bob D

Thread: That Strange Calculator Again
15/01/2022 17:59:51

Next stop should be The Arithmeum,. Bonn University. It has a museum of mechanical calculators, lots of them are circular and there are 10000 exhibits to check out. Some of the detail is in German so you may need some translation before calculation.

https://www.arithmeum.uni-bonn.de/en/arithmeum.html,

Bob D

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate