Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Ultrasonics and citric acid

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gerry madden29/06/2020 18:31:42
331 forum posts
156 photos

Hi all,

I'm currently renovating an OMT toolmakers microscope that I have recently bought.

Lots of the adjustment knobs and screwheads are rusty. I'm cleaning them up by alternating them between dunks in citric acid and spells in the ultrasonic cleaner. The acid does most of the work but the u/s cleaner initially degreases and then removes the heavier layers of rust. The process is slow...well too slow for me...so I'm just wondering if I can sensibly put my acid mix in the u/s cleaner to speed things up a little ?

I've not heard of anyone doing this before and cant think of any pitfalls, but just thought I'd check with others who may have better knowledge in such matters.

Gerry

Baz29/06/2020 18:39:48
1033 forum posts
2 photos

I have used citric acid in the ultrasonic cleaner for descaling injectors with no problems.

Andy Carlson29/06/2020 19:35:37
440 forum posts
132 photos

You didnt say if you were making it hot or cold. Hot will speed up the reaction.

Old School29/06/2020 19:49:07
426 forum posts
40 photos

Yes you can citric acid and a little washing up liquid and do it hot you will get good results, change the solution regularly

Ed Duffner29/06/2020 19:49:18
863 forum posts
104 photos

Could you put the acid inside a container (jar?) then lower the jar into the cleaner fluid? Supported well so the acid cannot spiil into the cleaner solution?

I'm not sure how well ultrasonic waves pass through container walls. Might be worth a try. It seems to work for some of the resin 3D printing people.

Ed.

Robert Atkinson 229/06/2020 20:05:20
1891 forum posts
37 photos

Ed's suggeston is good and standard practice for cleaning small items in a ultrasonic cleaner. A glass laboratory beaker works well. Use hot water in the taank and cleaner, citric acid in this case in the beaker. Ideally float the beaker with a collar of closed cell foam. A thin (cheap) pressed stainless steel cat's food bowl works well too.

For non-ferrous alloys a dilute solution of ammonia with a drop of washng up liquid works well.

Robert G8RPI.

Neil Wyatt29/06/2020 20:19:47
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I've got some concentrated derusting fluid for my ultrasonic cleaner that I'm sure contains citric acid.

I usually use it at about 50C

Neil

pgk pgk29/06/2020 21:57:28
2661 forum posts
294 photos

I posted the link to this vid by Tom Lipman on a rusty renovation before...

**LINK**

When using ultrasonics the intensity of bath types varies, I once used an ultrasonic probe to clean a cheapo watch and the hands and numerals fell off...

pgk

Nigel Graham 230/06/2020 00:41:14
3293 forum posts
112 photos

I am surprised the sound waves actually pass through any intervening beaker or pan wall, rather than being reflected from it, making me wonder if the work-pieces are simply being pickled. Any vibrations that manage to negotiate the barrier would almost certainly be attenuated by it.

The ultrasonic cleaner I used at work - itself based on ultrasonics - had a stainless-steel work-basket nearly as large as the tank, and I would never put the work in a solid-walled secondary container unless advised in the operating-manual. Ours did not even mention it; and it is hard to see where it might be "standard practice" unless for some particular make and type of ultrasonic cleaner (jewellery or horology trade perhaps?).

These tools are otherwise meant to be used with the work-pieces immersed directly: suspended, in the basket supplied with the appliance, or just laid in the tank. I would use suspension for small items. All you need do is ensure the additives will not harm the tank.

Clive Hartland30/06/2020 07:21:49
2929 forum posts
41 photos

The use of a container in the ultrasonic liquid was standard as far as we were concerned when cleaning oil/grease from optical componebts. I observed the liquid in the container agitating quite happily and would watch as the dirt came out of the parts we could not reach to clean. I have at times used a small quantity of solvent in the container if needed making sure the main liquid was not contaminated.

Further to this we used an aqueous solution called Micro, no connection but it is good stuff. ask for a sample if you contact them and only a 2% solution needed.

Rusted parts need pre-treatment of course.

Graham Stoppani30/06/2020 07:32:09
157 forum posts
29 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 29/06/2020 20:19:47:

I've got some concentrated derusting fluid for my ultrasonic cleaner that I'm sure contains citric acid.

I usually use it at about 50C

Neil

I run my ultrasonic tank at 65C, so in the same ball park as Neil. As a side note, if you've put fresh liquid in your tank and are waiting for it to come up to temperature, its worth running the bath empty to degas it while it warms. This will increase the effectiveness of the bath.

Graham

Brian Baker 130/06/2020 08:25:49
229 forum posts
40 photos

Greetings, just remember that hot Citric Acid solution in the eye is not nice.

regards

Brian

Danny M2Z30/06/2020 08:41:22
963 forum posts
2 photos

My ultrasonic cleaner has a stainless steel tank and I regularly use a solution of citric acid in it to clean used brass cartridge cases before re-loading them.

The results in 10 minutes are better than when I previously used a vibrating tumbler full of crushed walnut shells running for hours. After use I flush the u/s cleaner tank with tap water and it's still working well after 6 years.

* Danny M *

Edited By Danny M2Z on 30/06/2020 08:41:58

gerry madden30/06/2020 22:49:37
331 forum posts
156 photos

Good advice as always. Thanks for your mass of useful info.

Gerry

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate