Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Transport for Live Steaming

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Werner Schleidt03/06/2020 13:57:09
158 forum posts
180 photos

Hello ,

I had the honour to record a video of the transport for live steaming. Our street steamer colleage Jürgen had build a 4 inch Garret Traction Engine.

He is an experienced builder and this is his third traction engine he worked on. He had build a 2 inch and a 3 inch Fowler. At about three years ago he came up with the news that he build a 4 inch Garret.

As I was in his basement I thought this can not go out the door, but Jürgen made before all measurements to see the clearances. There were sometimes a bit small . He ordered an Autocrane to pull it out of the basement.

The crane had been adjusted a second time to have more clearance on the roof of the house.

It was a very interesting action. Now Jürgen have to make a driving seat and test the waterpump and make his first steam test. Hopefully we can see it this year in action.

please enjoy the video

Werner

Edited By Werner Schleidt on 03/06/2020 13:59:13

Jim Butler 103/06/2020 14:55:02
17 forum posts
5 photos

Nice work by Jurgen, building the engine and planning the move.

Nice work by the crane driver.

JimB

Harry Wilkes03/06/2020 16:13:20
1613 forum posts
72 photos

Moved a few traction engines but this take the biscuit

H

V8Eng03/06/2020 16:43:44
1826 forum posts
1 photos

Even just watching I had quite a few hold your breath moments!

Have to admire the skill levels of everybody involved, good looking engine too.

vic francis06/06/2020 09:33:41
125 forum posts
21 photos

Wow! Fantastic, on the back of the crane driver it says over 35 years experience! And it shows... great work Werner👍Another observation ; let your garden return to nature = productive work on your engine!

Werner Schleidt06/06/2020 13:53:08
158 forum posts
180 photos

Hello Vic Francis

to clarify i was only the guy with the camera . Jürgen with the brown shirt is the owner and builder of the Garret.

I saw it live , i saw it on the video several times , during editing and the whole video, but it is always amazing each time.

Werner

Edited By Werner Schleidt on 06/06/2020 13:53:49

Werner Schleidt06/07/2020 09:56:42
158 forum posts
180 photos

Hi all,

we made another steam rally . This time we had seven engines . Jürgen show the 4 inch Garret unfortunatly the engine was not in steam, because he had some trouble with his engine. In forward direction the excenter was sticky at his trial run a day before.It seems that the tolerances are very narrow.

On one take he is standing behind the engines he had built. We had a lot of fun and look to the the special corona mask muffler at the Diesel engine.

I hope you can enjoy it.

Werner

Edited By Werner Schleidt on 06/07/2020 09:59:07

Baz06/07/2020 11:31:52
1033 forum posts
2 photos

Absolutely fantastic, lovely engine and a very skilled crane driver.

Werner Schleidt05/10/2020 19:29:46
158 forum posts
180 photos

Hi all,

we made another steam rally and Juergen brought, the first time in public, his 4 inch garret traction engine with him.

best regards

Werner

Jeff Dayman05/10/2020 21:03:54
2356 forum posts
47 photos

Great video of your rally ! Like Juergen's Garrett, and your fire engine was running well too!

Steve Addy28/11/2020 15:22:19
158 forum posts
107 photos
1 articles

Thanks Werner, this has cheered me up as I thought I would have problems moving my loco when it is finished. At least it isn't in a basement!

Steve

Werner Schleidt29/11/2020 08:51:11
158 forum posts
180 photos

A short update. Jürgens engine is runnning with each driving better. Problems he had with the safety valve spring made of stainless steel. It is changing his characteristic over time . It was setting after compression and heating. A colleage calculate a new spring for him , made of better steel and this worked now very good. The valve seting showed that runing in made it more correct, but next year we look to some retunning after more run in. And we want to make with my electronic cylinder indication setup some measurements of the valve timing. I have to make a new displacement sensor with more possible displacement, because of his longer piston travel. In the Plettenberg discription is a part of cylinder indication showed.

With driving with his engine he found out that the water gauges are very difficult to see. The back of his boiler is painted in a dark colour and so there is less light. I made for him LED Spots to iluminate from the back side the water glasses. Now it is very good visible.

Werner

Ian Welford29/11/2020 10:54:38
300 forum posts

Forgive my german, checked by google so hopefully better.

Vielen Dank, das Sie dies mit uns tielen . Ein fantastisches Video eines herausfordernden Problem.

Schone Arbeit.

Ian

Oldiron29/11/2020 11:04:17
1193 forum posts
59 photos

Great little steam rallies Werner. Thanks for sharing. I have missed all our UK rallies this year as they were all cancelled due to Covid. I hope next year they will be allowed.

regards

Steviegtr29/11/2020 13:24:04
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Thanks for sharing. Brilliant little machines. Love the Fire tender.

Steve.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate