Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

ER collet adapter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Redpiperbob23/05/2020 11:03:36
92 forum posts
41 photos

Hi there I thought this information might be useful to others.

I recently bought an ER20 collet adapter for my Myford Super 7 lathe from RDG Tools. The box contains a threaded adapter for the lathe mandrill, a collet body and a collet nut.

What you are supposed to do is screw the adapter to the lathe mandrill then turn down the boss of the adapter to match the collet body (I also put a small relieve at the base of the register). I then screwed the body to the adapter and measured the run out.

I was getting 12 thou runout. I took the collet body off and measured the register it had less than half a thou runout.

I then refitted the body but did not fit the screws supplied with the kit. No runout. I then tightened the screws (carefully) and I got the 12 thou runout again. I then got three screws from my stock and fitted them, no runout. I then looked at the screws that came with the kit and noticed that the heads were not parallel with the threads. I throw them out. Job done and now less than .5 of a thou runout.

I just thought this maybe useful to someone else.

Bob

bernard towers23/05/2020 11:32:06
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Just goes to show you get what you pay for even in fasteners. I machine a lot of stainless socket heads for HD’s as in the supplied state the heads can be up to 20 thou eccentric!! It would never have occurred if they had supplied Unbrako’s.

Journeyman23/05/2020 12:01:41
1257 forum posts
264 photos

Glad you got the problem sorted. Hope the "Mandrill" didn't get too stroppy:-

mandrill.jpg

They tend to get a bit grumpy cheeky. On the other hand a mandrel is usually OK with being used to support a job on the lathe or being hammered on! The lathe spindle on the other hand does not appreciate being used to form sheet metal but the spindle nose is quite alright about having chucks screwed to it.

( Apologies in advance for any distressed feelings but couldn't miss the photo opportunity! )

John

Redpiperbob23/05/2020 12:14:16
92 forum posts
41 photos

Damn Microsoft spell checkerangry

Bob

old mart23/05/2020 14:00:59
4655 forum posts
304 photos

If somebody posts a picture of the other side of the mandrill, it will be just as colourful. devil

Leaving a bit of play in the register and the screw holes gives you the option of getting everything running perfectly, even if one of the collets is less than perfect. With an eccentric collet, you would have to re align every time it was used as there is no way of indexing the collets in the holder.

AdrianR23/05/2020 17:17:59
613 forum posts
39 photos

Possibly as colourful as Bob's language when he found the problem wink

Adrian

Howard Lewis23/05/2020 17:22:49
7227 forum posts
21 photos

That's what happens when you start to monkey about with things!

Howard

CHARLES lipscombe24/05/2020 05:28:09
119 forum posts
8 photos

A bit off-topic but tip I picked up from another post - use a Stevenson's collet block mounted in a 4-jaw chuck. The amount of time and trouble this idea has saved me is incredible. It is also a lot cheaper than some of the alternative collet holding devices out there

Chas

Redpiperbob24/05/2020 07:45:59
92 forum posts
41 photos

Hi Chas thats what I have been doing up until this purchase.

Bob

Michael Gilligan24/05/2020 08:35:21
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Redpiperbob on 23/05/2020 11:03:36:

[…]

I then looked at the screws that came with the kit and noticed that the heads were not parallel with the threads. I throw them out. Job done and now less than .5 of a thou runout.

I just thought this maybe useful to someone else.

Bob

Thanks, Bob ... It tells us a lot yes

but I’m not going to labour the point.

MichaelG.

Kiwi Bloke24/05/2020 10:15:55
912 forum posts
3 photos

Perhaps I'm being a bit thick, and have missed something important, but I would expect this set to be designed so that the collet body is kept in radial alignment by a register on the adaptor. I'd expect the user to have to turn the register's diameter down to size, and also to face the adaptor. Then, surely, even 'wobbly' screws - if they fit the holes - will not derange alignment.

Redpiperbob24/05/2020 10:32:31
92 forum posts
41 photos

well they pulled mine off

Kiwi Bloke24/05/2020 10:43:45
912 forum posts
3 photos

I'm not doubting your observation, but I'm struggling to understand how. [I like to understand things - it's a failing...] The supply of obviously defective screws with the kit would raise my suspicions to danger level, and I'd be going all over the thing with an impressive array of metrology gear. Or wondering whether to return the thing...

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 24/05/2020 10:47:45

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate