By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

New hobby lathe for retired engineer?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Bloggs 305/05/2020 06:03:14
36 forum posts

Good morning all. I have been having a browse around these excellent forums before framing my question(s) here to help me buy a new mini lathe.

I am a very soon to be retired mechanical engineer (former time served fitter/turner, a long time ago). And I am going to catch up on a few neglected projects. Amongst them a couple of motorcycles.

I am assembling a new collection of hand and powered tools to assist in my newly rekindled hobby. Things like, bench, vice, hand tools, micrometers, bench grinder are all well in hand.

Now I come to the mini lathe (and soon, a compact pillar drill).

My requirements are fairly straight forward. I want to make things like wheel spindles, steering stems etc. Typically up to 30mm diameter, less than 300mm long.

Then a few bits more ambitious that require a boring bar to bore up to about 55mm, not too deep, managable dimensions. Typical tolerances, +/- 0.05mm. I am quite happy to polish out the last thou or so for things like wheel bearing fits etc...But I need a swing ideally of 240mm minimum above the bed to mount a face plate to hold items to be bored. That's a tall order in the machines aimed at the occaisonal hobbyist market. The second stumbling block is I would prefer if the head stock bore would pass a 30mm diameter. Again, it seems not posssible. 20mm seems typical.

Otherwise, the typical 350/400mm between centres bed, 500/600kw mini lathe seems OK. I will mostly machine aluminium alloys, 6061, 6082 a bit of 7075 for spindles. Some minor carbon/stainless steel parts on occaision.

The regular names croping up here, Amadeal, Chester, Warco, SPG Tools and a couple of others all seem to do very similar kit. I guess the main differentiator is price. Maybe that reflects quality to an extent? I'm not sure.

I also notice some issues mentioned with the Chinese speed control boards, being replaced with a UK unit. Quite happy to do stuff like that.

Sorry, for the long post. What would be the best machine(s) to broadly fit those needs in the present market? Preferably<£1000.

Thanks.

FB.

Brian H05/05/2020 07:53:11
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Hello Fred and welcome. There are a number of M/C enthusiasts on here who may be able to offer advice on choice of lathe. Have you considered a used on such as the Boxford?

Brian

not done it yet05/05/2020 08:01:19
7517 forum posts
20 photos

You have over-looked/missed Arceurotrade in your list of suppliers. I would suggest they are likely the most-recommended supplier of machines, by members on the forum, for machines for forum users (and others, of course).

JasonB05/05/2020 08:08:15
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

To get that 250mm swing and 30mm spindle bore you would have to start looking at a WM290 from Warco or similar siz emachine.

A WM 250 would just give the swing but a WM280 actually has a 240mm dia faceplate with a little room to spare, both these will pass 1" through the spindle

Edited By JasonB on 05/05/2020 08:21:11

Niels Abildgaard05/05/2020 08:10:30
470 forum posts
177 photos

Found this:

250 * 300 Lathe

Fred Bloggs 305/05/2020 08:17:55
36 forum posts
Posted by Brian H on 05/05/2020 07:53:11:

Hello Fred and welcome. There are a number of M/C enthusiasts on here who may be able to offer advice on choice of lathe. Have you considered a used on such as the Boxford?

Brian

Thanks, yes, I have but I really don't want an old machine to be frank. If I wanted high quality and longevity that would be an option. But I'm in a different market, I think. (Out of budget too?).

Cheers.

FB.

Edited By Fred Bloggs 3 on 05/05/2020 08:22:33

Fred Bloggs 305/05/2020 08:18:58
36 forum posts
Posted by not done it yet on 05/05/2020 08:01:19:

You have over-looked/missed Arceurotrade in your list of suppliers. I would suggest they are likely the most-recommended supplier of machines, by members on the forum, for machines for forum users (and others, of course).

Briiliant! Exactly what I was hoping to hear! Added to the research list.

FB

Fred Bloggs 305/05/2020 08:21:36
36 forum posts
Posted by Niels Abildgaard on 05/05/2020 08:10:30:

Found this:

250 * 300 Lathe

Cheers. That certainly does the job. It's a bit bigger all round than I anticipated but what I want isn't available in the more compact machines. I have to consider where I will compromise.

FB.

Ketan Swali05/05/2020 08:33:46
1481 forum posts
149 photos

Fred,

Welcome to the party.

The ARC offering does not offer you the swing or the bore you seek. You would be better off considering Jasons suggestion. Also, as you have been a mechanical engineer - time served fitter, definitely do consider used machines such as the Boxford. Based on your experience, hopefully you will be able to judge the quality/life of the used machine, which may come within your budget, and may include tooling.

Ketan at ARC.

Fred Bloggs 305/05/2020 08:46:04
36 forum posts
Posted by Ketan Swali on 05/05/2020 08:33:46:

Fred,

Welcome to the party.

The ARC offering does not offer you the swing or the bore you seek. You would be better off considering Jasons suggestion. Also, as you have been a mechanical engineer - time served fitter, definitely do consider used machines such as the Boxford. Based on your experience, hopefully you will be able to judge the quality/life of the used machine, which may come within your budget, and may include tooling.

Ketan at ARC.

LOL! It's precisely because I remember the old Boxfords, Myfords, Colchesters etc... That's why I don't want one! I guessed one would be way out of my budget actually. And I am not looking to split thous on jobs, nothing like that. Interst and input hugely appreciated.

FB

Ketan Swali05/05/2020 08:58:36
1481 forum posts
149 photos
Posted by Fred Bloggs 3 on 05/05/2020 08:46:04:

Fred,

Welcome to the party.

Ketan at ARC.

LOL! It's precisely because I remember the old Boxfords, Myfords, Colchesters etc... That's why I don't want one! I guessed one would be way out of my budget actually. And I am not looking to split thous on jobs, nothing like that. Interst and input hugely appreciated.

FB

Could you elaborate?... do you remember the old Boxford, an others in a negative light as a fitter?...

Ketan at ARC

Fred Bloggs 305/05/2020 08:59:59
36 forum posts
Posted by JasonB on 05/05/2020 08:08:15:

To get that 250mm swing and 30mm spindle bore you would have to start looking at a WM290 from Warco or similar siz emachine.

A WM 250 would just give the swing but a WM280 actually has a 240mm dia faceplate with a little room to spare, both these will pass 1" through the spindle

Edited By JasonB on 05/05/2020 08:21:11

Nice budget busting machines. I have looked at the Warco range, they are nice. I very likely have to decide where to compromise, budget versus capability. If I can get 98% of what I want then I will compromise on capability before budget.

FB

Fred Bloggs 305/05/2020 09:02:26
36 forum posts
Posted by Ketan Swali on 05/05/2020 08:58:36:
Posted by Fred Bloggs 3 on 05/05/2020 08:46:04:

Fred,

Welcome to the party.

Ketan at ARC.

FB

Could you elaborate?... do you remember the old Boxford, an others in a negative light as a fitter?...

Ketan at ARC

Hi Ketan, I remember everything about being an apprentice and as a fitter in a negative light! That's why I studied to become an engineer. I have nothing against the longevity, the capability, the accuracy or the heritage of the old machines. I simply don't want one. Just like I don't want a Ford Anglia any more.

FB

Chris Evans 605/05/2020 09:04:01
2156 forum posts

Welcome along Fred, I am a retired toolmaker and motorcycle restorer. (mainly pre-war bikes) I have a 14" x 40" lathe that does everything I ever need with a 40mm bore I can pass most motorcycle related things through the head. Only you know what space and budget you have so good luck with the search. For wheel spindled I always use EN16T never any of the alloys mentioned.

Ketan Swali05/05/2020 09:08:52
1481 forum posts
149 photos

Hi Ketan, I remember everything about being an apprentice and as a fitter in a negative light! That's why I studied to become an engineer. I have nothing against the longevity, the capability, the accuracy or the heritage of the old machines. I simply don't want one. Just like I don't want a Ford Anglia any more.

FB

Ahh.. I understand your reasoning now. Thank you.

Ketan at ARC

AdrianR05/05/2020 09:14:17
613 forum posts
39 photos

A bit over your budget, but there is an ex-demo Chester DB10 that may be big enough for you **LINK**

Fred Bloggs 305/05/2020 09:46:07
36 forum posts
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 05/05/2020 09:04:01:

Welcome along Fred, I am a retired toolmaker and motorcycle restorer. (mainly pre-war bikes) I have a 14" x 40" lathe that does everything I ever need with a 40mm bore I can pass most motorcycle related things through the head. Only you know what space and budget you have so good luck with the search. For wheel spindled I always use EN16T never any of the alloys mentioned.

Hi Chris, thanks, Yes, 7075 is a high strength alloy and would be the only alloy I would consider. It's comparable to many carbon steels. But obviously, not EN16T.

FB

Andrew Johnston05/05/2020 09:47:02
7061 forum posts
719 photos

The requirements versus budget is utterly unrealistic. The only way to come close would be an ex-industrial machine, but that has been discounted. By greatly reducing the requirements the budget could be met, but no way are 98% of the requirements going to be met within budget, especially spindle bore.

Andrew

Fred Bloggs 305/05/2020 09:47:16
36 forum posts
Posted by Ketan Swali on 05/05/2020 09:08:52:

FB

Ahh.. I understand your reasoning now. Thank you.

Ketan at ARC

You're moe than welcome Ketan, we all have our baggage and foibles.

FB

Fred Bloggs 305/05/2020 09:51:38
36 forum posts
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 05/05/2020 09:47:02:

The requirements versus budget is utterly unrealistic. The only way to come close would be an ex-industrial machine, but that has been discounted. By greatly reducing the requirements the budget could be met, but no way are 98% of the requirements going to be met within budget, especially spindle bore.

Andrew

Yes, I know. But I have to start somewhere. Start off at perfection and compromise on capability/budget until you have something you can live with. Thanks for the input. For example, if I can't swing 250mm to bore a 55mm hole, I'll get a mate to do it. But do the rest of the job myself. I'd likely want to do somhing like that no more three or four times a year. Maybe less.

FB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate