6 volumes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John McNamara07/03/2019 14:14:27
1377 forum posts
133 photos

Just noticed these.

5 volumes in 6 parts. Maybe a 7th coming

A little slow to download, well worth the wait.
From Mir Publishers USSR. Mid 20th century.

Are books like these even published these days?

**LINK**

Regards
John

Edited By John McNamara on 07/03/2019 14:17:27

Watford07/03/2019 14:59:07
142 forum posts
11 photos

John

Wow nerd

Will keep me interested for hours !!!!!!!!! clock

Mike

Ricky Walker07/03/2019 15:52:18
27 forum posts
6 photos

Excellent resource! This is going to make fascinating reading, downloading now

Edited By Ricky Walker on 07/03/2019 15:52:42

Vidar04/10/2019 22:24:47
57 forum posts

Wow indeed! That is quite the resource! Thank you!

David George 105/10/2019 07:44:23
2110 forum posts
565 photos

How do you expect me to do anything with having downloaded that!

David

Kiwi Bloke05/10/2019 22:03:01
912 forum posts
3 photos

I have have the complete set of seven printed volumes. If anyone's wondering what they're missing, Vol 5 pt 2 contains Section 33, Simple Electric Mechanisms, Section 34, Lever-type Electric Mechanisms, Section 35, Toothed Electric Mechanisms, and Section 36, Complex Electric Mechanisms.

I'm puzzled as for whom this work was intended. Like the other volumes, there nothing about the mechanisms' underlying fundamental principles of operation; instead, it's a collection of increasingly elaborate, but very old-fashioned and often laughably inelegant mechanisms, often with difficult-to-follow explanations and GA or isometric drawings of the whole shebang, presented in no obvious order. Perhaps these were the 'go to' reference volumes for 'designers' working in a regime where thinking for one's self was dangerous. Perhaps these are the Party-approved design approaches.

I particularly like 'No. 4737, Electrohydraulic Window-opener Mechanism for an Automobile'. It operates four windows and one partition glass, using hydraulic cylinders, scissors mechanisms, 'powerful springs', an electric motor driving a gear pump and electromagnetic valves controlling the flow of 'brake fluid'. In spite of the powerful return springs, the pump motor is reversed to lower the glass. It seems that occupants of the vehicle (Party officials and chauffeur only?) would have to agree amongst themselves whose turn it was to move a window, since opening one whilst closing another is prevented.

'Thermal bimetallic strip relay 21 and reversing and interlocking relay 9 are provided in the circuit for remotely switching motor 6 on in either direction to raise or lower the window glasses and to protect the system against simultaneously switching on motor 6 in both directions.'

Clive Foster05/10/2019 22:47:04
3630 forum posts
128 photos

All these collections seem to have a fair amount of dross in them. Probably more intended for inspiration when wondering where the heck you start or when your back of envelope sketches just don't seem right than a source of things to copy "just like that".

On the odd times I've pawed through such things the moderately daft, semi Emmett, devices have often been more helpful than the more engineered offerings. Pulling apart something that is, superficially at least, logically right but in practice just plain wrong can be an excellent way of clarifying things to dig your own ideas out of the wrong rut.

Clive

Enough!06/10/2019 01:23:29
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices is also pretty good and perhaps more up to date.

Vidar06/10/2019 02:37:09
57 forum posts
Posted by Bandersnatch on 06/10/2019 01:23:29:

Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices is also pretty good and perhaps more up to date.

I like that one too, but these texts are far more elaborate on many subjects like linkages. So nice for both inspiration and reference. Pure mechanics is quite timeless after all.

Nat Margetts13/01/2020 11:25:20
5 forum posts

These will help a lot with my university course, thank you!

Frank Gorse13/01/2020 12:32:48
104 forum posts

“Mechanisms...” looks like an excellent source but will somebody please look at fig7 and tell me,is it just me?

Bill Davies 213/01/2020 13:21:21
357 forum posts
13 photos

I see the problem, Frank. Somehow, it's made it into the 5th edition.

Bill Davies 213/01/2020 13:27:19
357 forum posts
13 photos

I remember, in my eng science studies of years ago, of calculating friction of drive belts depending on the angle of wrap. I'm not a yachtsman, so I suppose windlasses operate on the same principle, so that a smaller friction stops the belt from slipping when the windlass is rotated, and provides the much larger force to pull the rope. Or is there a fancy arrangement to hold the belt, reversing the loose end's direction?

Bill

John McNamara14/01/2020 05:40:39
1377 forum posts
133 photos

Hi All
Yes I know I have not been around here much.
2019 was a pretty tough year, a high workload and a fair smattering of other issues.

Anyway back to the topic. There was a time when elaborate mechanisms were time consuming to build and therefore costly. Creating complex shaped parts has now become a very much automated process. From CNC laser and plasma cutting, CNC punch pressing, CNC metal machining machining to microns if necessary, all created with CAD CAM Design.

There is a shortage of contemporary published books on Mechanisms. And those that are published tend to feature reprints of older authors.

Those old books may be more relevant to today's engineering needs than you think.

Regards
John

Edited By John McNamara on 14/01/2020 05:41:00

David George 114/01/2020 07:08:50
2110 forum posts
565 photos

How is the mill coming along, is it a runner yet?

David

Grindstone Cowboy14/01/2020 09:23:22
1160 forum posts
73 photos
Posted by Frank Gorse on 13/01/2020 12:32:48:

“Mechanisms...” looks like an excellent source but will somebody please look at fig7 and tell me,is it just me?

I don't know how they do it, but looking at this video from about 7:25 to 7:48, it doesn't matter which way you turn the handle.... the winch just knows disgust

(Obviously some clever gearing, and the diagram in the book probably wasn't intended to cover such mechanisms)

SillyOldDuffer14/01/2020 10:29:37
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by John McNamara on 14/01/2020 05:40:39:

Those old books may be more relevant to today's engineering needs than you think.

I agree 100% with that, at least for mechanical references. Partly I think because older books tend to be more directly linked to practical goals. I could make most of the objects in my 1930's Technical Drawing book. Modern books are much more theoretical. They assume there are 'n' ways of making any object, and rarely describe the processes in any detail. Instead, they focus on the maths and methods used to design advanced objects from scratch. Knowing how to calculate the stresses in a crankshaft is less useful to me than understanding how to make one in my garage!

Can't say older books on subjects like electronics and computers are equally timeless. Don't buy a Chromebook and expect your MS-DOS Manual to be of any help whatever...

When it comes to stitching theory and practice together I find the forum invaluable. I like book learning and it's incredibly useful for scene setting, but when it comes to getting Chinese tools to deliver, JasonB is my hero! Wonderful to have a forum covering all things practical from 3-phase to Zirconium!

Dave

John McNamara14/01/2020 12:50:44
1377 forum posts
133 photos

Hi David George.

If the mill was running I would have shown it here.
My posts re the mill are up to date.
Alas it has had to just sit there reminding me. Hopefully I can get back on it soon.

Regards
John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate