By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Complete beginners threading euphoria

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Christopher Bason29/09/2018 08:13:12
7 forum posts

With apologies to all those on here who are "creative" with their eyes closed but i I am simply so chuffed that I have cut my first experimental 1.25mm thread on my C2. A nut fits, albeit a little on the wobbly side, but it fits. I can tell you the nervous exhaustion involved in changing lathe gears was , in my case, virtually complete! Great gulps of tea!

Had to get that off my chest. Sorry.

Now...what next...?

Chris Bason (Lincoln)

henryb29/09/2018 08:29:18
51 forum posts
3 photos

It is nice when you do things like that and they go right. i have not tried cutting threads on the lathe itself yet.

Pete Rimmer29/09/2018 08:40:04
1486 forum posts
105 photos

Well done Christopher.

When you're cutting threads, especially when you're starting out and test-fitting the nut each time, keep an eye on the thread outside diameter. In many materials the OD will grow as you make the thread because the flat-topped threading tool raises a small burr that you might not notice. This will cause the nut to not fit even well after you have cut the full depth, the usual result being a very sloppy fit as you have found on your first attempt.

Make a few threading passes then check the OD with a caliper and you'll soon spot any problem. A quick swipe with a flat file as the part is turning will keep it all in check. Using lubricant can go a long way to avoiding it.

Pete.

Brian H29/09/2018 11:27:39
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Very well done Christopher, it's nice when it works out.

Brian

mark costello 129/09/2018 16:58:20
800 forum posts
16 photos

Next thing We will hear He has completed an AntiKrythera mechanism. Good job, carry on.

David T29/09/2018 17:03:22
76 forum posts
14 photos

Congrats, I felt much the same after cutting my first thread smiley

SillyOldDuffer29/09/2018 17:27:35
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Christopher Bason on 29/09/2018 08:13:12:

With apologies to all those on here who are "creative" with their eyes closed but i I am simply so chuffed that I have cut my first experimental 1.25mm thread on my C2. A nut fits, albeit a little on the wobbly side, but it fits. I can tell you the nervous exhaustion involved in changing lathe gears was , in my case, virtually complete! Great gulps of tea!

Had to get that off my chest. Sorry.

Now...what next...?

Chris Bason (Lincoln)

Making your first lathe-cut thread is a proper champagne milestone, well done you. Quite hairy the first time you try it what with gear ratios, half-nuts, indicators, and tool-post angles etc.

I wouldn't worry about the wobbly fit, that's how I'd describe DIY store studding!

How did you cut the thread, under power or manually? If under power you'll be aware of the risk of crashing into the chuck which can be bad news! As mini-lathes are tad fast for screw-cutting under power I made a removable collet crank handle for my mine: a common idea, they clamp inside the spindle and give excellent control when you wind the lathe by hand.

Just don't forget to remove the handle before powering up the motor. blush

Never tried it on a mini-lathe but my preferred method on my bigger machine (thanks to JasonB), is to cut threads with the lathe in reverse and the tool on the backside of the work. Cutting from the chuck outwards means there's no chance of smacking the toolpost into the chuck and breaking the lathe, so you can cut down on tranquillisers and safely use more speed.

Dave

Neil Wyatt29/09/2018 18:49:06
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Congrats,

I think we all remember our first thread and the amazement when a nut goes on!

Today I had to make a long M6 thread today (about 60mm) and was delighted to find the gear train already set up and a threading tool in the holder - I thought i'd switched back to fine feed

You may be interested that I cut it to 0.35mm depth in 3 passes (supported with a travelling steady) then finished with a die. I should have gone a bit deeper as it was stainless steel and still quite a load on the die at 100rpm.

It's the support rod for a telescope secondary mirror. The arrangement is quite neat - the mirror carrier is sprung with three screws to tilt it, the usual way uses a forcing screw against the three adjustment screws which is a lot more fiddly to adjust. I needed to make a longer one as I fitted a new focuser which was bigger and used the opportunity to move it down about 1/2".

Neil

Christopher Bason02/10/2018 13:23:52
7 forum posts

Thanks for the supporting comments -much appreciated

Howard Lewis03/10/2018 22:42:56
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Welcome to the Forum!

You have years of pleasure ahead of you. Currently insoluble problems will no longer be so; just a bit of an inconvenience. In many cases, the impossible will now be possible.

Howard

Christopher Bason08/10/2018 10:37:59
7 forum posts

BTW minor thought -after examining and adjusting my cross and compound gibs I wonder if it is pronounced g-gem-gib or g-golf-gib?

Neil Wyatt08/10/2018 11:48:47
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

'jib'

Neil

David T08/10/2018 14:13:32
76 forum posts
14 photos

Jib?? I've always pronounced it the other way!! Oh, the shame, the shame!!! crying 2

Roger Hulett26/10/2018 12:36:53
131 forum posts
9 photos

Oh you sailors !!

Jeff Dayman26/10/2018 12:43:10
2356 forum posts
47 photos

Golf at my corner of the planet.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate