Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Stuart 10H Hard spots in a casting

How much is too much?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Lawes06/03/2018 19:14:12
1078 forum posts

Can I please ask how many hard spots a casting can have before you consider it unusable? I'm trying to sort out the box bed for my Stuart 10H and I'm struggling as the file just glides over hard shiny sections and makes cutting it really difficult. I've emailed Stuart and await their response.

Cheers,

Jon.

Chris Evans 606/03/2018 19:40:11
2156 forum posts

If I get "Chilled Spots" in cast iron it usually spends a night in the wood burning stove and comes out OK to machine. Even SWMBO never notices.

roy entwistle06/03/2018 19:49:06
1716 forum posts

+1 for Chris's answer

Roy

JasonB06/03/2018 19:50:50
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Stuarts are usually quite good about replacing so wait to you hear back from them before cooking it.

Jon Lawes06/03/2018 19:54:50
1078 forum posts

I don't have a wood burning stove; I guess a night on a radiator just wont cut it! laugh

JasonB06/03/2018 20:00:02
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Propane torch may just do it, that is what I usually use

Jon Lawes06/03/2018 20:35:14
1078 forum posts

That has potential; I'll see what Stuart say. I have already taken a couple of cuts so hopefully I haven't weakend it too much.

Jens Eirik Skogstad06/03/2018 21:32:53
400 forum posts
22 photos

See this link: http://www.homews.co.uk/page215.html

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 06/03/2018 21:33:24

JasonB07/03/2018 07:23:41
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Suggesting a tipped tool will be OK for facing the surface but you are still stuffed when it comes to drilling and tapping fixing holes if the hard spot is any more than surface chill.

Jon Lawes10/03/2018 17:28:57
1078 forum posts

They have said they will send me a replacement with no quibbling at all. I was a bit worried what their customer service would be like after my original order took some months to arrive but they seem to have good after care.

mechman4811/03/2018 00:31:12
2947 forum posts
468 photos
Posted by JasonB on 06/03/2018 19:50:50:

Stuarts are usually quite good about replacing so wait to you hear back from them before cooking it.

​I had a similar problem with the standard for my S10 V some time ago I mentioned this to Stuarts at the last Harrogate ME exhib. they promptly sent me a replacement...+ 1 for stuarts.

George.

Jon Lawes06/04/2018 22:25:31
1078 forum posts

Nothing arrived yet, a month after being told they would send out a replacement. After a delay of over 6 weeks between paying for the kit and it actually turning up I guess Stuart run a fairly slow moving business. Frustrating, but I understand how low volume manufacturers work.

IanT06/04/2018 23:33:06
2147 forum posts
222 photos

Hi Jon,

I don't have a wood-burning stove either but (as I've mentioned elsewhere here recently) - I do have a garden incinerator.

I compost or 'brown-bin' my soft cuttings but any 'wood' is dried out, cut or chopped up and burnt in the incinerator. I wait till I have a bright fire going (with a red-hot ash bed) and lower the part(s) in to rest on top. I then keep feeding the fire for an hour or so and then let it burn overnight with the lid on.

Next day, there will still be hot ashes in the bottom and the parts will still be pretty warm but the wood fire doesn't get hot enough to damage any steel/cast iron parts. I did once try wrapping a part in kitchen foil to help keep it clean - but the foil melted. So aluminium parts/castings may get damaged doing this but wouldn't benefit from any heat treatment anyway. But for hard spots in castings and for de-stressing steel parts this seems to work OK though... I will eventually get around to trying case-hardening in it as well...

Regards,

IanT

Jon Lawes11/04/2018 21:14:38
1078 forum posts

After chasing them a couple of days ago its turned up today. Looks excellent as always.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate