Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill Starling25/08/2017 15:30:05
102 forum posts
7 photos

It's that time of year again. Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum (our 25th) is only 5 weeks away - Sunday 1st October.

As ever, everyone within reach of south Norfolk is invited to join us, whether as just a visitor or - preferably - as an exhibitor. We love to see work in progress as well as finished projects. Although some of our regular exhibitors definitely produce 'exhibition standard' work, it's good to see first attempts too - it encourages the rest of us to keep going.

There are some photos of last year's jollifications here:-

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=119538

and details of the remarkable museum here:

http://www.forncettsteammuseum.co.uk/

If you send me a message with your e-mail address I'll be pleased to send you an invitation and entry form. (There may even be some regular exhibitors on here who haven't send their entries in yet. 'We know where you live.'

Hope to see you there,

Bill.

Bill Starling04/09/2017 10:54:01
102 forum posts
7 photos

As all subscribers to ME will have noticed, Diane kindly made mention of Model Engineers' Day in 'Smoke Rings' in the current issue. Unfortunately I gave her the wrong post code for sat-nav users.

The museum is at NR16 1JJ.

Please don't descend on an unsuspecting house in a village 6 miles away!

(It is not a plot to get another mention of the event - but only because I didn't think of it.)

We have got an excellent number and range of entries, but there is still room for a few more if you'd like to join us.

Best wishes,

Bill.

Emgee16/09/2017 20:43:57
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Fellow modellers & machinists

One for your diary, Sunday 1st Oct at the Forncett Industrial Steam Museum in Norfolk.

Full size stationary steam engines from yesteryear under steam plus model engines steaming and static display of modellers exhibits.

Usually some full size steam vehicles apear, also model diesel engines being run outside amongst other exhibits..

**LINK**

More details and directions at the link above.

See you there, Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 16/09/2017 20:46:47

Edited By JasonB on 16/09/2017 20:48:20

Andrew Johnston16/09/2017 20:52:14
7061 forum posts
719 photos

Funny you should mention that, I'm currently assembling my exhibits on the sitting room floor, and typing out the explanatory notes. I've also sorted out the machining videos, so they ought to run more smoothly than previous years.

All I need now is a note from Bill saying how much space I've been allocated, which will obviously dictate what I bring.

Andrew

Note to moderators: Having typed a response it disappeared when I tried to post as the thread had been moved. I'd have been real pee'd off if I hadn't been able to retrieve what I wrote. fist

JasonB16/09/2017 20:58:32
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Note to forum members: Please put new threads under the right topic heading (shows dates are not general questions) and also search to see if what you are about to write about has already been posted.yes

Emgee16/09/2017 21:26:08
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Hi JasonB, apologies for my posting, as you noted I failed to do a search and didn't see Bill's entry when it first appeared,. also missed the subject title in the choices of topics.

Unfortunately I am unable to edit my earlier message, see you there Andrew.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 16/09/2017 22:07:34

Bill Starling16/09/2017 21:40:16
102 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks for the plug Emgee. Do come and say hello, so I know who you are.

We've got just about as many exhibits as we can fit in, including some new ones.

[Note to Andrew: now that entries have closed I can start the juggling act of fitting everyone in. Should be about as last year.]

Bill.

Ramon Wilson16/09/2017 22:34:59
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Looking forwards to it Bill - even have some new bits and pieces to display this year, not much but definitely new smiley

and yes, no doubt will be making the usual noise around eleven accompanied by the faint smell of (model aircraft) diesel. Ahh! 'There's nothing like the fresh smell of diesel in the morning'

Here's to another great day

Ramon

Andrew Johnston17/09/2017 10:25:40
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by JasonB on 16/09/2017 20:58:32:

...........and also search to see if what you are about to write about has already been posted.

Would that apply to threads along the lines of what lathe/mill/thingmabob to buy? Most such posts could be copperplate. teeth 2

Andrew

Andrew Johnston17/09/2017 10:31:06
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by Bill Starling on 16/09/2017 21:40:16:

Note to Andrew: now that entries have closed I can start the juggling act of fitting everyone in. Should be about as last year.

Note to Bill: I can't remember what I had last year, but 8ft would mean I have to leave some bits at home, 6ft would mean I leave a lot of bits at home. wink 2

Andrew

Keith Rogers 229/09/2017 11:47:48
88 forum posts
2 photos

Hi,

I'm going to the Forncett Model Engineers Day on Sunday.

Can you tell me if the full size exhibits will be in steam?

Keith.

Bill Starling29/09/2017 12:03:30
102 forum posts
7 photos

Yes, all the big engines will be in steam - but not all at once, we'd need a much bigger boiler for that. There should also be a full sized Fowler ploughing engine, a (possibly) unique Marshall traction engine, an Aveling & Porter steam tractor and an early Stanley steam car.

Part size in steam should be 15 miniatures, also the 'traditional' model engineering should include a couple of engines with their own boilers as well as some running on air.

Hope to see you there.

Bill.

Emgee02/10/2017 13:19:25
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Sunday 1st October.
Another great day spent at the Forncett Steam Museum, full size stationary engines under steam, 2 full size steam road going engines, a good display of model steam engines with around 10 under steam and runnng around the paddock and a road trip, it was amazing to see these engines displayed in the light rain that persisted for most of the morning, the owners were not deterred from attending by forecasted weather conditions.

A Dutch team travelled from NE Holland to display and run their 45mm garden display track and attending ( I believe 1/32 scale ) locos with rail cars, all built to a very high standard including the track and fittings.

As well as a large static display of his engines Ramon ran 2 of his diesel engines a bit later than planned because of the weather conditions but the smell of diesel fuel does attract an audience as does the noise.

Andrew had a large display of the parts he has made for his engine, some amazing gear cutting as well as many other smaller parts that looked very professionally produced.

I didn't take any pictures but perhaps others who attended and did take photos will be able to upload some for all to see.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 02/10/2017 13:20:13

Keith Rogers 202/10/2017 15:47:32
88 forum posts
2 photos

I totally agree Emgee, what brilliant day it was at Forncett yesterday, in spite of the weather.

What a wonderful sight to see those engines in such well maintained condition and actually being steamed, not sitting in a museum getting covered in dust. I think the highlight was possibly the huge triple expansion engine from Worthingtons ticking over like a sewing machine. (And the hot pork rolls)

As you have already said a good display of models and model engineering.

It's not often you see a steam powered gramophone playing, but we did!

Again a great day, highly recommended, thank you Bill.

Keith.

p.s.One small point Emgee the chap that owns the engines and gives such an entertaining talk his name is Rowan not Ramon.

JasonB02/10/2017 16:34:18
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

It's Ramon Wilson who runs the Diesel aero engines

Keith Rogers 202/10/2017 17:10:00
88 forum posts
2 photos

Oh dear! I thought I was being helpful! Sorry Emgee.blush Thank you Jason.

Edited By Keith Rogers 2 on 02/10/2017 17:13:44

Emgee02/10/2017 18:30:26
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Hi Keith

No worries about your message, pleased to see someone actually reading the post !!!!!

You saying about the steam powered gramaphone playing reminded me of the other scale steam boilers and static engines being run throughout the day in the same area.

Emgee

Roderick Jenkins11/01/2019 16:38:27
2376 forum posts
800 photos

Trying to plan this year's hols. When is the 2019 Forncett Model Enigineers Day?

Cheers,

Rod

not done it yet11/01/2019 17:07:35
7517 forum posts
20 photos

All on the net. Find it here.

**LINK**

not done it yet11/01/2019 17:07:37
7517 forum posts
20 photos

All on the net. Find it here.

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate