Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

How to Flatten a Thin Steel Plate?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SillyOldDuffer20/07/2017 13:40:34
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Today's Mission Impossible is to make a Stainless Steel kick plate for a wooden garage side-door.

From a slightly larger off-cut I've successfully trimmed a plate to fit (765 x 170 x 1.2mm / 30" by 6¾". Unfortunately on close inspection the metal is not quite flat and that will complicate fitting it to the door.

Searching the web hasn't helped much: the closest suggestion I found not requiring an industrial roller was to clamp the bent plate between two thicker true plates, heat the whole to red heat. and then cool slowly. I don't have the facilities to do that.

Can anyone suggest a way of taking mild bumps and curves out of thin steel sheet please?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 20/07/2017 13:41:16

JasonB20/07/2017 13:47:53
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Screwing to a sturdy wooden surface often works for me, kick any high spots flatwink

Circlip20/07/2017 13:48:31
1723 forum posts

Bright yellow (Incandescent) heat and rollers.

Regards Ian.

pgk pgk20/07/2017 13:56:57
2661 forum posts
294 photos

How about just glueing it into position with a thick lump of something clamped across it until it sets?

Hopper20/07/2017 14:02:10
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by JasonB on 20/07/2017 13:47:53:

Screwing to a sturdy wooden surface often works for me, kick any high spots flatwink

^^^^ This.

If it has bumps and curves in it, the metal will have been stretched. To get it back flat again you would need to shrink the metal back to original size. Stainlness, being a mongrel to work, due to its tendency to work harden, will resist this process. Not worth the vig.

larry Phelan20/07/2017 14:03:55
544 forum posts
17 photos

Would love to know the answer to that one too !

I love the idea of a thick lump of "something".

NJH20/07/2017 14:10:55
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Hi Dave

Take out your trusty joiners plane and take a shaving off the door - then you won't need to kick it to get it open and you can use your piece of stainless steel for something more creative!

Norman

Brian Wood20/07/2017 15:23:41
2742 forum posts
39 photos

Hello Dave,

​After a number of years spent using a hydraulic press to straighten out heat treated spring steel plates, I found the secret was to over bend the plate from the side with the bulge to put a 'set' back into it in the opposite direction.

Don't overdo it, but you do need to see it bent slightly. Then ease it back again to take out some of that set; it should then be essentially flat and it should lie flat on the surface you attach it to

Regards
Brian

larry Phelan20/07/2017 17:06:33
544 forum posts
17 photos

I dont think Dave needs the plate so as to be able to kick the door open. I,ve seen these plates on many garage doors,they appear to be there to protect the bottom of the doors from------What?

I have never managed to flatten any piece of thin strip,so I,m listening !.

JasonB20/07/2017 17:13:40
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Kick plates tend to get used more to hold the door open with a foot while your hands are tied up carrying something through the doorway, particularly if it is a door into the house where the fire door should be fitted with a closer of some sort. In commercial properties they will also protect against floor polishers etc much like a skirting protects the bottom of a wall.

MW20/07/2017 18:46:57
2052 forum posts
56 photos

Good clout with a hammer should do the job (with a dolly if we're being dainty), As well as a little manual compression. I wouldn't bother trying to make a jig or machine to do it. I even use my own bench vice and soft jaws to neaten things out.

If anything when you fix the plate to the door that should have some kind of straightening out of it's own provided you can get it relatively even and straight.

The only time you've got to worry is when the stainless is 304, because it's a pig. 316 or 303 are easier to work with.

Any residue marks that remain will just have to be rubbed off manually, if it's bothersome. 

Michael W

Edited By Michael-w on 20/07/2017 18:49:33

SillyOldDuffer20/07/2017 21:01:16
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Thanks again chaps. A mix of overbending and hammering against a thick plank of wood plus some judicious vice work improved things considerably. Far from perfectly flat but close enough for my purpose.

One thing I would do differently given a second chance. I used a hand nibbler to cut the sheet to size. On the long edge it left a ripple effect that shows up when the light hits it at the right angle. Nothing I tried shifts that pesky ripple. I suppose sawing it might have caused other problems. I hate stainless steel!

Cheers,

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 20/07/2017 21:02:03

larry Phelan20/07/2017 21:24:34
544 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Dave,

Like I said,your posts are always interesting.I wonder how a band saw would cope with s/s?. I have used my wood band saw to cut mild steel sheet,with a metal cutting blade but it,s too slow. Never knew there were so many different grades of stainless. I have a few bits of it,no idea what they are,just that they are hard to cut and harder to drill. Think I,ll just give it a miss,life is too short !

duncan webster20/07/2017 22:09:46
5307 forum posts
83 photos

I use a thin cutting wheel in my angle grinder for jobs like this. You can get special discs for SS, not tyerribly expensive.

John Olsen20/07/2017 22:36:55
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

I would second Duncans suggestion. I have been doing quite a lot of stainless for the cladding and funnel of my steam launch boiler and have been using 1mm discs that Bosch sell in a round tin. The tin is also useful afterwards for storing small items! I don't know what grade the stainless is it came from the scrappy but it is about a millimeter thick. Rolling it to form the funnel was a bit of a mission, and I also had to make a transition piece at the bottom from round to rectangular, which was a good exercise for 3D CAD.

John

SillyOldDuffer21/07/2017 10:39:51
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Thanks Duncan & John. I didn't know you can get cutting wheels for stainless! But then I hadn't thought of using an angle grinder either. Pity, because using the nibbler has done my fingers in. I woke up convinced I'd suddenly got rheumatism. Wrong again, it's the effect of unaccustomed exercise.

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate