Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Fusion 360 help needed

Rendering a section analysis

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
AlanW17/07/2017 15:38:58
92 forum posts
12 photos

I'm new to Fusion 360 but have been trying to create a 3D 'section' to illustrate a construction method. Having created the model, I expected to be able to produce a properly rendered sectional view along the centreline but this does not seem to be possible. I looked it up on the web and it is a question others have asked several times; the only answer from Autodesk is that the function is not available but in the to do pile.

Has anyone else tried this and managed a work around?

Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to export a file of the sectional view in a format compatible with any other software (that I have access to). I did a screen dump into Photoshop and replaced the 'hatching' with solid colour but the image quality isn't very good.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Alan

David Jupp17/07/2017 16:44:55
978 forum posts
26 photos

Sounds simple enough

**LINK**

AlanW17/07/2017 16:58:58
92 forum posts
12 photos

I've already passed that stage thanks David and, yes, it is simple enough. What I want to do is the 'photo-realistic' rendering, ready for output. When that is done, it only results in the external surfaces displayed. Pretty though it looks, for a first attempt anyway, it isn't what I want to achieve.

Thanks anyway,

Alan

David Jupp17/07/2017 17:05:50
978 forum posts
26 photos

If there are no more sophisticated methods available - add an extrude cut to each part to cut away one side of the overall centreline.

In some software your can use 'assembly features' to achieve this all in one go (assuming your are modelling a multi-part item).

AlanW17/07/2017 17:24:03
92 forum posts
12 photos

Tried that also, to no avail. The model is a bracket with tubular housing, two ball bearings and a shaft. The extrusion function works OK on the flat objects but just reduces the diameter of round components. Because I dived into the deep end, I'm not sure that my methods of drawing will agree with 'assembly features'. Certainly when I tried to assemble the components in alignment, I couldn't get it to work properly and did it 'by eye'. I'm very much at the bottom of the learning curve, and impatient. I will most likely have to make do with a 2D drawing but I thought it would be nice to dip a toe into this century.

Thanks for your interest.

Alan

David Jupp17/07/2017 18:07:51
978 forum posts
26 photos

I am not familiar with F360, having said that the basic ideas are common to a degree across most 3D CAD packages (though some do require a different mind set).

Sounds like you have your cut off axis for the round items.

It's usually worth going through some of the provided tutorials before rushing to do advanced things in CAD.

AlanW17/07/2017 18:17:27
92 forum posts
12 photos

Yes, I know David but time spent on tutorials is less at the lathe! In fairness I have gone through some of the tutorials but tended to cherry pick the ones that, I thought, may help me achieve the objective quicker. To give you some idea, drawing the ball bearings seemed very long-winded for what I needed so drew a simpler version by using inner and outer tube 'extrusions' and a ring of spheres placed between them. No clearances, so no animation possible, but I didn't really want that complication.

David Jupp17/07/2017 19:02:09
978 forum posts
26 photos

Why draw bearings? - just download full or simplified models from the web.

Believe me you'll waste far more time floundering if you don't go through the basics first. Been there myself, and taught others.

Edited By David Jupp on 17/07/2017 19:02:22

Muzzer17/07/2017 19:11:39
2904 forum posts
448 photos

Traceparts are professional 3D CAD models provided by manufacturers, so tend to be pretty well executed. The other sources are places like Grabcad which offer a wide range of parts and assemblies, some very good and some downright dross - and everything in between.

Not quite sure what your aim is. You want a rendered section view? Not aware of any CAD that offers that, so you'd need to do a workaround whether Fusion or otherwise. You should probably do a cut extrude after selecting those bodies you want to section, leaving unselected the ones you don't want. Then render the result. The reason this isn't offered (AFAIK) is that there is very little call for it.

I agree with David - more haste less speed etc....

Murray

Neil Wyatt17/07/2017 22:08:58
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Create a copy.

Make a cube aligned with one side on the plane of the cut.

Subtract the cube from all the parts crossing the centre line you want to section (e.g. most things except shafts)

SillyOldDuffer18/07/2017 09:15:00
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Cutting (David & Muzzer) and Subtracting (Neil) both work in Fusion360.

But Alan said "The extrusion function works OK on the flat objects but just reduces the diameter of round components. Because I dived into the deep end, I'm not sure that my methods of drawing will agree with 'assembly features'. Certainly when I tried to assemble the components in alignment, I couldn't get it to work properly and did it 'by eye'."

That reminded me of my early adventures in 3D modelling using FreeCAD and Fusion. Due to me misunderstanding the package (guessing how it worked), I made a number of models that looked good on screen, but were internally inconsistent. The problem with flawed models is that they're likely to break later in development, developing symptoms like cuts failing to work properly, dialogues where the OK button is greyed out, objects that won't select, and other peculiar behaviours. It is very frustrating to suddenly find progress blocked after several hours effort, and painful to discover that it's better to start again.

Fusion360 is fairly good at highlighting errors and warnings in the timeline. I wonder if Alan has any steps in the timeline (bottom of screen) highlighted in red or yellow? Fixing them (if any) might help.

I'm finding learning 3D CAD difficult. It's a little like getting on a bicycle for the first time and discovering it has more controls than a 747. It really pays to get the basics right before plunging in. Once you've cracked the basics (youtube is your friend), it all becomes much more obvious and intuitive. If you get into a fight with the package, there's a good chance you're doing something wrong. Then it's time to stop, do some research, and backtrack as necessary. At the moment Alan has my sympathy - I'm trying to get Fusion360 to do knurling and it all seems too difficult...

Dave

AlanW18/07/2017 11:42:52
92 forum posts
12 photos

Yes, I think the more haste less speed analysis is correct. I suppose I really must start from the beginning in order to prevent problems such as those described by Dave (SillyOldDuffer). My experiences on this seem to follow Dave's fairly closely.

I never considered downloading ready drawn bearings. My impression of anything downloadable, especially if available from the other side of the Atlantic, is the small matter of paying for it. Are components downloadable for free? and if so, what is the hidden catch? Call me cynical but there is rarely anything for free.

Neil, I will try your method to see if the resulting sectioned graphic will render.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Alan

JasonB18/07/2017 12:09:49
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Most manufacturers now have CAD models of their parts free to download in the hope that their part will get specified and used.

David Jupp18/07/2017 12:18:25
978 forum posts
26 photos

Services like Traceparts & Cadenas are free (you have to register). Some CAD systems support their own libraries of fasteners, bearings etc. too.

For run of the mill stuff you shouldn't have to pay for downloadable models. Even where manufacturer's web site doesn't specifically list CAD models for download, it can be worth asking.

AlanW18/07/2017 12:21:45
92 forum posts
12 photos

Neil,

That seemed to work but I will have to play around with appearance selections.

Thanks

Alan

Muzzer18/07/2017 13:07:30
2904 forum posts
448 photos

Once you have created the required physical bodies, you can apply appearances to selected faces only ie not necessarily to the whole body. This would give you the option to select different colours / textures for the sectioned faces.

There are no hidden catches to most 3D models. Very few modern companies would design products other than in 3D CAD and they have better things to do than model up commodity parts like bearings, fasteners etc. Conversely, few suppliers can afford to ignore that as a basic requirement of doing business.

Even if you can't find exactly the part you need, it's often handy to take a std part and then edit it to suit. I've done this with fasteners, bearings, pulleys etc.

Another (fascinating!) source of professional parts (that description includes the pricing BTW) is Misumi. They allow you to configure many (most?) of their parts, then download the resulting CAD file. And if you were feeling extremely rich and were sitting down at the time, you could even order them online. They would then be machined up to your requirement and delivered in remarkably short time. You don't need to order anything, so they can be used to generate convenient components and assemblies as a starting point for our own designs. The range of products they offer is truly staggering, as is the service they appear to offer.

Quite a few tools and fixtures are supported with CAD models, so things like Kurt vises and fixtures can be imported and in fact there are quite a few already loaded in Fusion by default in the "CAM samples" folder. You might wonder why you would bother - but when you are generating CAM toolpaths, it allows you to identify bodies such as vises etc as "fixtures" and the CAM simulation will check for and flag up any clashes between the tool and the fixtures (none in this example):

CAM fixturesMurray

AlanW18/07/2017 13:42:25
92 forum posts
12 photos

That is all very interesting Murray. I'll have to pull my head out of the sand and have a good look around.

Thanks for that and also the tip re adding appearances to faces; that is where my new problem seems to be.

Alan

Sam Longley 114/10/2017 16:50:13
965 forum posts
34 photos

Whilst the thread is on the subject of fusion 360 I have a query.

Believing it to be free ( from comments on this forum) I downloaded a copy to find that the "free" is for one month. Hence, I did not waste time trying it out. However, I have since seen a comment that after one month there is an option to renew " free" for one year. Is this correct? If so is this the end of it & does one then have to buy the product?

If so any idea of cost to a private retired modeller please. Alternatively can one renew for free indefinitely & is it easy to do, or does one have to "trick" the system to get a further use. I do not want to spend ages learning to find I hit a brick wall.

thanks

Sam L

Rik Shaw14/10/2017 18:06:22
1494 forum posts
403 photos

Sam - I am registered as a student user and have been using the software free for a number of months. How long that lasts for time will tell.

Rik

Spurry14/10/2017 18:51:30
227 forum posts
72 photos

Sam

The download site is somewhat misleading, but it can be d/l for free for hobbyist use. Although....as others have commented, quite how long it will remain 'free' is anyone's guess.

Pete

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate