By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

What essential tools do in need for building a live steam loco?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Robinson 430/03/2016 20:39:58
102 forum posts

Hi

Im a complete beginner to model engineering and have always wanted to build a small 3.5" gauge steam loco.

What are the essential machine tools I need? I know a lathe and milling machine is essential but what else do I need? and what are the cheapest metal working lathes and milling machines for model engineering?

Btw I already have an arc welder.

thanks

NJH30/03/2016 20:53:54
2314 forum posts
139 photos

I would add a pillar drill to that line up. Ok you can drill in the mill but you don't want to disturb a set up in the mill just to drill the odd hole.

Cheapest mill & lathe ?  I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. My experience in life generally is that cheapest is usually not best. The old criteria of " Fit for purpose" is better .

Norman

Edited By NJH on 30/03/2016 20:58:39

JasonB30/03/2016 20:56:56
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

You could actually do it without a mill, most of the old designs that everyone seems to still build were originally done on just a lathe with a vertical slide for the milling operations. Mill is just easier not essential.

Nick_G30/03/2016 21:13:00
1808 forum posts
744 photos

I would say that a lathe and a mill are not that expensive. - It's the required tooling and accessories that go with them that become expensive when you add them all up.

Please don't think I am belittling the considerable cost of the machine tools. I am just being realistic. I have certainly spent far more on tooling etc than I have on the machines themselves.

Nick

julian atkins30/03/2016 21:54:57
1285 forum posts
353 photos

Hi Simon,

I would agree with Jason that most milling operations can be done on the lathe with a vertical slide.

You can do quite a bit on the initial stages with just a bench vice, hacksaw, and files. You really need a pillar drill for drilling the frames plus a decent set of number or close metric drills. Decent set square and centre punch etc. By the time you get to the hornblocks a vertical slide for the lathe is required or a vertical mill plus endmills.

Then it's the axles and axleboxes which is probably the first turning in the lathe. Then the wheels which is first turning of cast iron... and I could go on.

There are some excellent descriptions of building locos in 3.5"g and 5"g for beginners. Read as much as you can from old editions of model engineer. My favourite is Don Young's description of building the Railmotors in 1968/9 in ME, but I may be biased as this was my first loco in 1983, plus was a close friend of Don.

Join a local club which may have workshop facilities plus lots of experienced members and help. I didnt have a workshop of my own till 1985 with a pillar drill and lathe, yet had a rolling chassis by 1984 thanks to the use of other club member's workshops.

Cheers,

Julian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate