Surface Plate & Height Gauge recommendations

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ron Laden05/06/2020 03:17:48
2320 forum posts
452 photos
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 04/06/2020 22:01:19:
Posted by Ron Laden on 04/06/2020 15:59:29:

...........if I move the two blocks to a different position and one of the blocks climbs or lowers surely that would raise or lower the bar at the opposite end wouldnt it..?

Yes it would, if the two planes on which the V-blocks sit are parallel. One issue is that the movement of the end of the rod compared to the movement of the V-block is reduced by roughly the ratio of the length of the V-block compared to the rod. Which is rather unhelpful.

If the two planes on which the V-blocks sit are not parallel (quite likely if the plate isn't flat) then all bets are off, as the movement of one end of the rod will be influenced not only by the vertical movement of the V-block at the other end but also by it's tilt. Without other measurements it would be difficult to determine which effect was the cause of any movement of the rod end.

No idea where SoD got the statistic that grinding moves more metal in industry than anything else. Most of the machine shops I've used professionally over the years didn't have any grinding machines. Grinding is good for precision and high quality surface finishes, but it's a relatively slow process. As such it's to be avoided unless absolutely necessary. One of the factors driving the development of inserts that will turn or mill hardened steel was to avoid having to use grinders for finishing operations.

Andrew

Point taken Andrew I should have thought about it a bit more.

Ron

Andrew Johnston05/06/2020 08:23:01
7061 forum posts
719 photos

Well that's odd; before I started breakfast I'm sure there was a post in this thread by JasonB explaining to Barrie and I that we knoweth not what we talk about with regard to SoD and grinders. But it now seems to have disappeared? May be SoD has more influence than we realise, and we should be careful in case the boys call round for a 'chat'. smile

Andrew

JasonB05/06/2020 08:32:10
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

There was, I did not read the last bit of Dave's post, the rest was about grinding granite which my reply related to so deleted it after re-reading Dave's post.

Ron Laden05/06/2020 09:03:20
2320 forum posts
452 photos

So out of interest I mounted the test indicator on a Stevenson block for stability and took a number of readings around the plate. Wont bore you with the details but basically the plate has a central area approx 10 x 8 inches which is good to 0.025 mm. You can see in the pic the indicator reading with the indicator towards the left of the plate having set zero 10 inches away on the right of the plate. From this central area the plate falls away towards the corners 0.5 mm at two corners with 0.7 and 1.0 at the other two.

I also did a basic test with a 4 inch gauge block and a strong torch looking for any obvious hollows, high spots ripples etc but didnt find any.

So as a surface plate it is not good but as a general purpose plate which has a decent centre section which will cover what I will be using it for its good, very good if you consider it cost £10 from a kitchen shop.

img_20200605_074157.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 05/06/2020 09:03:59

Former Member05/06/2020 09:05:32

[This posting has been removed]

Former Member05/06/2020 09:08:55

Andrew Johnston05/06/2020 09:09:45
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by JasonB on 05/06/2020 08:32:10:

There was ................ so deleted it after re-reading Dave's post.

At least I'm not losing my marbles, ground or otherwise.

Andrew

SillyOldDuffer05/06/2020 09:41:07
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 05/06/2020 08:23:01:

... May be SoD has more influence than we realise, and we should be careful in case the boys call round for a 'chat'. smile

Andrew

Absolutely agree. SoD is infallible! My mum thinks he's gorgeous too...

Fantasy over. The claim in favour of grinding comes from Industry taken as a whole. As manufacturing developed over the centuries, every effort has been made to replace toothed metal cutting with some other process. Either because the alternative is cheaper or is more accurate or both. Casting, Rolling, Stamping, Extrusions, Gas Axe, Lasers, Water Jet, Spark Erosion, Chemicals, Forging, Grinding and many more techniques are in the game.

Possibly the forum's deep interest in lathes, milling machines, files and saws leads us to lose the big picture? Whilst 'our' methods dominated industry into the early 20th century, not so today. Time marches on. Not only are more production processes available now, but machinable metals are often replaced with plastics, ceramics, and difficult metals that don't mill or turn well. For that reason manual lathes and mills are rarely found on production lines.

Have a wander round and ask how each product in the home was made and how much of it involved a lathe or milling machine. Take cutlery: there are nearly 8 billion people on the planet and most of them use knives, all made by rolling, stamping and grinding. Many other common objects avoid cutting too. Screw fasteners are rolled. Precision threads are ground. Opening up a printer, TV set, vacuum cleaner, fridge, boiler or even a car engine won't find many milled or turned components in it. Most of my workshop tools are ground, including the lathe's ways and the milling table.

Plenty of counter examples because toothed cutting is still the best way of tackling many jobs, but it's not nearly as ubiquitous as it used to be. Any Production Engineers on the forum?

Dave

Former Member05/06/2020 10:11:00

Mike Poole05/06/2020 10:54:49
3676 forum posts
82 photos

There were a couple of Lumsden grinders in our machine shop but even though they are the king of grinders for material removal I don’t think they would trouble the rest of the machines in the shop for removal ratelaugh

Mike

Juddy05/06/2020 11:13:26
131 forum posts

I work for a major engine manufacturer and we avoid grinding as much as possible, mostly due to speed. If you want to machine an engine block every 30 seconds, you cut using edged tools. The only components using grinders are cranks & cams and that's a finish grind for the last couple of microns. Which is slow because the wheel has to be dressed after each journal. So very little metal removal and a lot of dirt.

Modern high speed CNC machines are perfectly capable of milling, turning, boring without the need to grind. Tool changing is automatic and without stopping production which cannot be done with grinding wheels.

Bill Pudney05/06/2020 12:14:05
622 forum posts
24 photos

Not as esoteric as some and cheaper than most. My two surface plates are ex electronics cabinet de humidifiers, "Warmers",  that were caught on the way to the skip. All traces of heating elements removed, and ground where it matters. They are about 300mm x about 220mm. The height gauge is a metric APE Microball that was also redirected on when on its way to the skip. I've just had a look on the local ebay and they seem to be fairly readily available and quite reasonable. The surface plates are excellent for what I use them for, and the height gauge is consistent, accurate and easy to use.

It's very easy to over think this stuff sometimes!!

cheers

Bill

Edited By Bill Pudney on 05/06/2020 12:14:44

Edited By Bill Pudney on 05/06/2020 12:15:30

Neil Lickfold05/06/2020 12:17:30
1025 forum posts
204 photos

Well out of curiosity of looking at the new Kitchen counter top, engineered stone. With the light and reflections looks fairly flat. I set up a dti and a plate with 3 point and moved it around the place. The whole area is better than 0.04mm. The majority of the centre area is well better than 0.02mm. So instead of buying a 1m granit plate for the shop,when she is not home, the kitchen top will work just fine. Thanks for the heads up on that. I have no idea how they even get them that good. Not often I am marking out pieces longer than 300 mm. But when needed have ample space as long as it is not heavy, oily or will not scratch the top. Just have to make sure the height gauge base is clean first.

Ron Laden05/06/2020 12:17:37
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Must be my lucky day, on Ebay I put an offer in on a Mitutoyo APE Microball 12 inch height gauge and its been accepted..smiley

Its said to be in good condition and complete with its wooden case.

Edited By Ron Laden on 05/06/2020 12:31:38

Former Member05/06/2020 12:27:53

Ron Laden09/06/2020 06:51:07
2320 forum posts
452 photos

The APE height gauge arrived, used but in nice condition quality is excellent. Accurate too, when checked against my gauge blocks its spot on. I really like the micrometer adjustment, super smooth and feels just right. I put an offer in on ebay and got it for £30, can't complain at that.

img_20200609_062847.jpg

Michael Gilligan09/06/2020 07:25:49
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Very nice too, Ron !!

MichaelG.

Lee Jones 609/06/2020 08:30:00
258 forum posts
125 photos
Posted by Ron Laden on 09/06/2020 06:51:07:

The APE height gauge arrived, used but in nice condition quality is excellent. Accurate too, when checked against my gauge blocks its spot on. I really like the micrometer adjustment, super smooth and feels just right. I put an offer in on ebay and got it for £30, can't complain at that.

Good things come to those who work in imperial! smiley

Ron Laden09/06/2020 08:53:16
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Actually I work mainly in metric Lee but I,m happy in both. When it comes to tolerances and tighter dimensions for some reason I see and can relate to thou easier than I can parts of a mm. So hence the imperial height gauge, my mic is imperial also.

Ron

Mike Poole09/06/2020 08:53:31
3676 forum posts
82 photos

I have a Shardlow conventional height gauge. I first used one as an apprentice and liked the fine feed adjustment which is engaged with a lever. I preferred it to the Chestermans which we also used. A digital height gauge has the useful feature that zero can be anywhere you like but with a conventional one the surface plate is always zero. You will need to be handy with mental arithmetic to mark out anything that is not datumed from the surface plate and dimensioned from that datum.
Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate