All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ches Green UK19/12/2022 19:34:28
181 forum posts
7 photos

Pete,

Just a warning to everyone today.

Same here Pete, in central Scotland.

My shed has been 0-3C for about a week but this morning (- outside temp was about 10-12C and humid) I went in to the shed and saw that everything was covered in condensation....even the undersides of wooden shelves!

It would seem that my reasonably well insulted shed had remained very cold inside. Meantime outside, the air had quickly become warm and humid. As soon as I opened the shed door the damp air entered.

I've never had bad condensation before so I think this is a rare event due to the large and sudden temperature delta. But I've now bought a small bar heater for 'next time'. I'll turn it on a day or two in advance when I see large temp rises predicted.

Ches

Pete Rimmer19/12/2022 22:25:04
1486 forum posts
105 photos

I've had the de-humidifier running for 2 hours it's pulled a litre of water out of the air. I've left it running in there for the night.

I'm so glad that I caught this in time I have a lot of scraped stuff including straight edges and reference squares that would all need re-scraping if I hadn't. Not to mention the machine tools themselves.

Henry Brown19/12/2022 22:46:36
618 forum posts
122 photos

Put my dehumidifier on yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours thinking it would do the trick, checked just after lunch and there was lots of moisture on anything big and metallic so wiped all the moisture off and set the dehumifier for three hours. Just checked humidity down to 60% and about 2l of water in the tray. My workshop is sectioned off in a corner of a large double garage, fortunately the car in there was fine.

Ches Green UK19/12/2022 23:55:01
181 forum posts
7 photos

In anticipation of the cold spell I had wiped way oil (forget the actual brand) on anything metalic I could find in the shed, so the condensation was sitting on the oil this morning.

About noon I reckoned the only way to get the condensation off the metal was to aim a hot air blower at the lathe, mill etc to try to bring them up to ambient temperature. That seemed to have worked somewhat, as most (but not all) of the condensation was gone - the shed has four vents so hopfully the gentle flow of air through the vents would carry out the evaporated moisture in the warm air.

I'll check tomorrow for any rust patches and treat them.

Ches.

James Alford20/12/2022 07:54:40
501 forum posts
88 photos

I had condensation in my newish garage for the first time yesterday. About nine large pots of paint were standing together under a table, each of which was covered in heavy condensation. A car engine that I am building had a much lesser amount on it, but everything else was dry. Odd.

James.

not done it yet20/12/2022 11:06:56
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Judicious use of a chinese diesel-fired air heater, and running my dehumidifier on low power for one hour each night, has kept my workshop above 5 degrees and below 60% humidity throughout the cold snap.

It has required about an hour run on a fairly low setting on the 4(?)kW heater once or twice a day. Far cheaper, for me, than running the dehumidifier(s) for longer, or on high power.

Sometimes warmed while I am in residence and sometimes just started and left to shut itself down after a one hour run.

Back to just the dehumidifier at present. So costing about 7p per day again - for a few days at least!

vic newey20/12/2022 12:08:07
347 forum posts
173 photos

After me bragging that my unheated draughty shed never gets my tools rusty I got a shock yesterday when I found the lathes on one side of my shed covered in condensation.

The side joined to the house towards the door was the worst. the lathe farthest from the door unaffected.

The opposite side of the shed with an Emco miller and South Bend lathe had no condensation whatsoever! Never seen anything like it in the 22 years I have had the shed.

Bazyle20/12/2022 13:49:14
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Vic, the wall by the house would be warmer so a very slight rising air movement pulls any damp new air to that side of the garage. Sounds like the condensation inside a jar we were discussing a few weeks ago.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate