Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Repair a small cast bell

Brazing?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel Graham 203/07/2023 17:37:15
3293 forum posts
112 photos

Whatever method you use, and I would think glue the simplest and safest, it is very unlikely to "ring" again, if it ever actually rang in a proper bell-like manner.

The joint will likely act as internal reflector and impedance mis-match to do all sorts of weird and not-so-wonderful things to the vibrations in the metal.

Still, it is a nice enough object as an ornament, so worth the effort to perform at least a cosmetic repair.

gerry madden03/07/2023 19:03:55
331 forum posts
156 photos

I thought I recognised that !

It's a miniature replica of a bell in the temple at Kamakura, Japan. I purchased mine in 1985 on my first trip to Tokyo. Mine is currently in regular service. It gets rung out of the kitchen window when I'm in the workshop and a meal is ready. Contrary to expectations, it does have a very clear and loud ring, hence its current employment.

You never know, they might still be in production.....

dscn0054.jpg

Simon036203/07/2023 20:36:35
279 forum posts
91 photos
Posted by gerry madden on 03/07/2023 19:03:55:

I thought I recognised that !

It's a miniature replica of a bell in the temple at Kamakura, Japan. I purchased mine in 1985 on my first trip to Tokyo. Mine is currently in regular service. It gets rung out of the kitchen window when I'm in the workshop and a meal is ready. Contrary to expectations, it does have a very clear and loud ring, hence its current employment.

Ours came as a trio from Kyoto about 10 years ago, the other two also ring true with a delightful sound, hence the desire to make an attempt at more than a cosmetic repair.
Interesting that the finish on yours has lasted a number of years, not sure what it is but I think it’s chemical.

Simon036231/07/2023 11:25:59
279 forum posts
91 photos

So an update to anyone following this thread.

Thanks to a very kind offer, I was sent some coated SiF Bronze to use for my attempts at a repair.

The excellent advice in this thread and privately suggested heating the bell to red, cooling and then mechanically brushing the joint surfaces - that was achieved successfully. I then used a Dremel with a tungsten burr to further clean and to make a V-groove on the inside of the bell to allow the braze to flow.

I then clipped the two pieces together and applied some Tenacity N°1 flux. The two parts were held together by thye spring tension in the bell itself (spoiler alert!).

The next step was heating and applying the Sif Bronze to the interior and allowing to cool. I was pleasantly surprised at how it flowed nicely into the inside groove although my technique leaves much to be desired I suspect!

Significant effort was then required to clean it up. Sadly, the two parts slipped slightly so one joint is near perfect and almost invisible, the other side has a small step - maybe next time I should bind with iron wire or similar.

I struggled to remove the two fluxes and eventually mechanically ground them from the inside and picked bits off from the outside.

img_5729.jpeg

img_5731.jpeg

Finally, the best part of all is that IT RINGS!! Proof of the pudding is in a 20 second YouTube video for anyone interested at (https://youtube.com/shorts/hAzSyVrEpdk?feature=share) Ringing Bell

Finally, finally....does anybody have any ideas about how to replace the verdigris finish on the bell - I am pretty sure it was a chemical effect rather than paint and all I can find on the web seem to refer to paint substitute finishes. Answers on a postcard please - or better still, here!

Simon

gerry madden31/07/2023 13:51:24
331 forum posts
156 photos

Excellent repair, and I can confirm that the pitch is correct !

Gerry

Trevor Drabble31/07/2023 15:58:03
339 forum posts
7 photos

Simon , Excellent job , well done . Regarding the finish you are wanting , suggest you may find it useful to contact Black-it . No connection with company .

Trevor.

Grindstone Cowboy31/07/2023 16:13:16
1160 forum posts
73 photos

Don't know what it is or where you'd get it, but I believe there is a chemical used to patinate newly cast bronze statues.

Rob

bernard towers31/07/2023 16:50:14
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Problem is that any chemical blacking won't take on the bronze repair. you could try a VHT barbecue paint

Simon036231/07/2023 16:55:34
279 forum posts
91 photos
Posted by bernard towers on 31/07/2023 16:50:14:

Problem is that any chemical blacking won't take on the bronze repair. you could try a VHT barbecue paint

I believe that there is very little bronze exposed on the outside - and I can attack it further to leave just the trace of the repair - and its not blackening, its a verdigris finish which in my logical way (meaning unknowledgeable) should also advere/affect bronze thanks to the copper content. But then, I never made any pretence to be a chemist!

I think Rob may have the general idea, problem I have found so far is the torrent of search engine hits referencing painted on patina finishes...

Michael Gilligan31/07/2023 17:34:44
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Verdigris [ the real deal, not just a colour] is formed on cuprous materials

ergo … the original colour on the cast Iron is not actual verdigris

MichaelG.

This Wikipedia page may possibly help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdigris

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 31/07/2023 17:37:10

Simon036231/07/2023 17:59:48
279 forum posts
91 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 31/07/2023 17:34:44:

Verdigris [ the real deal, not just a colour] is formed on cuprous materials

ergo … the original colour on the cast Iron is not actual verdigris

Michael, I totally agree - but I am at a loss to know what else to call it...
As you can see from the original photos at the top of this thread and Gerry's later, it resembles verdigris and I am convinced its a chemical effect since there were no fumes or surface material burning away when I heated it.

If you know what it may be called, I am sure that would advance me in my search...currently 'not-verdigris', is not helping!

indecision

Michael Gilligan31/07/2023 18:28:59
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Sorry, Simon … not really very helpful was it !

For my penance, I shall go searching on your behalf

MichaelG.

Edit: __ before I do, I should mention that I did have one idea about it … if the iron bell was first copper-plated then real verdigris could be formed in the plating.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 31/07/2023 18:32:36

Michael Gilligan31/07/2023 19:01:59
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

If you decide to try the copper-plating route, this looks a very thorough tutorial on doing that without the use of nasty acids : **LINK**

https://youtu.be/2adh56s11Sg

MichaelG.

Edit: __ this doesn’t tell us much, but it’s attractive :

https://omotenashi-square.com/products/japanese-cast-iron-temple-wind-bell

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 31/07/2023 19:10:39

Simon036231/07/2023 19:10:35
279 forum posts
91 photos

Thanks Michael, good to know that you are on the case!

I did wonder about copper plating, just wasn't sure that this is how it would have been done originally.

Hopefully your penance will reveal all!

Simon

Grindstone Cowboy31/07/2023 19:16:22
1160 forum posts
73 photos

Well, these might work, or could end in disaster..

Links to https://www.sciencecompany.com/Patina-Formulas-for-Brass-Bronze-and-Copper.aspx

Rob

Michael Gilligan31/07/2023 19:21:49
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

I think you might do well to ask this bay seller whether it would/should work: **LINK**

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262931185082

MichaelG.

peak431/07/2023 21:31:14
2207 forum posts
210 photos

I wonder if the original was applies hot, such as in the production of these Japanese tea kettles; about 6 minutes in, though the whole video is worth watching

Though I did see this commercial video whilst I was wandering around the net as well

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 31/07/2023 21:31:53

Michael Gilligan01/08/2023 07:51:55
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Fascinating video, Bill … thanks for sharing it

Frustrating though, to hear only the word lacquer used in reference to whatever was dusted onto the hot metal

MichaelG.

4-46.jpeg

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 01/08/2023 07:59:31

Simon036201/08/2023 08:49:40
279 forum posts
91 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 01/08/2023 07:51:55:

Fascinating video, Bill … thanks for sharing it

Frustrating though, to hear only the word lacquer used in reference to whatever was dusted onto the hot metal

MichaelG.

Yes, agree with Michael on both counts....

Howard Lewis01/08/2023 13:08:32
7227 forum posts
21 photos

If you want to copper plate it, being ferrous, suspend it in a solution of copper suphate for a few hours.

Because of the relative position of Iron and Copper in the electrochemical series, copper will transfer onto the iron.

If left long enough, a suffiecient thicknes might build up, and then the copper could be treated with somrthing that will change the surface to green

Vinegar perhaps? A wild guess

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate