All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan28/01/2019 19:48:26
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Fair enough, Jason ... You win

MichaelG.

Edit: Thanks for posting the photo yes

... Funny way to design a lathe, methinks.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 28/01/2019 19:59:22

Bazyle28/01/2019 20:53:51
6956 forum posts
229 photos

I have a Hobbymat. The bar is non-essential and non-structural.

It is a strange design really being an overgrown watchmakers bar bed lathe. In practice although the bed forms the guide some of the cutting force is taken by the hefty leadscrew which is far thicker than on normal minilathes. I often think it would be nice to rebuild it with only the tailstock on the original bed and a new saddle on say two ground bars.

Nicholas Farr28/01/2019 22:44:40
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi, Bazyle is correct and it does not make any contact with the saddle or the tail stock. It's only purpose is to stop swarf dropping straight onto the lead screw.

If I had the same problem, I would lay a washer that has a hole the same size as the dowel, on the end of the bar and then carefully build up the end of the dowel with TIG weld enough to get a pair of grips to pull it out. The washer will help to stop you welding it to the end of the bar.

Regards Nick.

John Haine28/01/2019 23:11:37
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Maybe the bar is there to help take the longitudinal reaction force of the leadscrew ?

John Reese29/01/2019 02:34:51
1071 forum posts

It might be simpler to make a new bar.

FMES29/01/2019 06:24:51
608 forum posts
2 photos

Just mig/tig a piece of studding on to the pin and screw it out using washers and a nut.

Regards

Nicholas Farr29/01/2019 06:43:27
3988 forum posts
1799 photos
Posted by John Haine on 28/01/2019 23:11:37:

Maybe the bar is there to help take the longitudinal reaction force of the leadscrew ?

Hi John, the bar is only held in place by three dowel pins, which will not restrain any longitudinal forces of any sort and it is described as a spindle guard in the parts list.

Regards Nick.

Phil Pemberton29/01/2019 23:44:48
12 forum posts
2 photos

Wow, this thread went on a bit! Have to confess I stepped back last night to let you get your suggestions in

In no particular order...

Welding - the pin was about 3mm behind the panel so no chance of that. It's a 4mm diameter pin. Also, I don't have a welder (though this is tempting me to buy one!)

Drill - this worked, once I ditched the HSS bit and went for a 4mm carbide bit. I ended up wrecking one of these when the drill skipped. A 4mm endmill split the side of the pin and finished the job, fell right out.

The bar, incidentally, is mild steel, and so are the pins. 4mm dia, 15mm long. I've got some replacements on order.

The pin was in there ludicrously tight, which explains why it wouldn't push out. From the bits of metal which came out, it looks like it had rusted in... which explains why the previous owner left it alone. I'm quite surprised how short it was, only 10mm when it's supposed to be 15. Yet another bodge done to this machine by its previous owner, one of several sadly.

Thanks for all your help!

Edited By Phil Pemberton on 29/01/2019 23:49:25

Mike Poole30/01/2019 03:42:22
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Use tapped pins if possible to make life easy in the future.

Mike

Ian S C30/01/2019 11:02:21
7468 forum posts
230 photos

I wonder if the previous owner had not been able to get it out, so cut 5 mm off, leaving you to work out how to get it out.

Ian S C

Bazyle30/01/2019 13:11:45
6956 forum posts
229 photos

I just went to have a look at mine. I hadn't realised the pins go into blind holes in the main support at the RHS end of the bed. I had assumed they were through holes. I think I would either drill through so I could use say M5 screws or make a little bracket on top. Anything other than what it is.

edit: went and had another look. I'd ditch the bar and use a larger piece of Al angle as it could come further forward and down completely hiding the leadscrew.

Edited By Bazyle on 30/01/2019 13:16:03

Former Member30/01/2019 16:46:51

[This posting has been removed]

Phil Pemberton04/02/2019 02:46:28
12 forum posts
2 photos

Alas, Barrie, it's cost me a couple of good carbide drill bits! Still, she's fixed now.

I did find out why the pin wasn't embedded in the support when I tried to fit the replacement earlier. Looks like the previous owner cracked the support (which is made of plastic, seems to be Bakelite or similar) then "repaired" it with glue, filling the back with it in the process. I drilled out the hole to clean it and the repair gave way...

Regardless, a bit of drilling and some JB Weld later, and the pin is back where it should be!

Nicholas Farr04/02/2019 07:54:58
3988 forum posts
1799 photos
Posted by Phil Pemberton on 04/02/2019 02:46:28:

Looks like the previous owner cracked the support (which is made of plastic, seems to be Bakelite or similar) then "repaired" it with glue, filling the back with it in the process. I drilled out the hole to clean it and the repair gave way...

Hi Phil, yes the support is similar to bakelite, the one on my Hobbymat was broken into a few bits **LINK** when I bought it, so I made a new one from a scrap piece of bearing housing **LINK**

Regards Nick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate