By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JA

Here is a list of all the postings JA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Timber and the risk of it causing corrosion
03/04/2023 23:05:27

In the past this has been discussed at length on this forum with references to a number of scholarly papers. In other words this has been extensively researched by museums, the timber industry and others.

In essence all timber is corrosive to some metals including mild steel. The corrosion is due to acetic acid.

A very late at night post which I generally avoid,

JA

Edited By JA on 03/04/2023 23:10:00

Thread: Joe Pie at it again
02/04/2023 20:19:01
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 02/04/2023 19:15:23:

Sir George Airy's 1829 paper 'On certain Conditions under which a Perpetual Motion is possible' wasn't a hoax, but although he presents a mathematical justification, I don't think he believed perpetual motion was real!

Dave

At least it was before the Second Law of Thermodynamics was formulated. The First (conservation of energy) might just allow pertetual motion (there has to be no energy loss, ie no work done, no friction etc).

I now expect a comment such as "What has the Second Law got to do with this"?

JA

Thread: The secret life of components S3 By Tim Hunkin
31/03/2023 09:44:52

What is this? An advert?

I am not looking further or trying to find out.

JA

Thread: Parting off using a powered cross feed
25/03/2023 19:02:41
Posted by Chris Crew on 25/03/2023 16:58:09:

"I regularly use a hacksaw on chucked-up pieces in the lathe. The cure to the problem you describe is a very simple 2-minute job to make - a piece of wood with 'feet' either side to straddle the lathe bed. I use the same board to protect the bed when changing chucks etc."

The kangaroo Courts Martial has found you guilty of conduct unbecoming, LOL.

Despite your precautions, I think here will be quite a few volunteering for the firing squad!

And, before anyone points out the contradiction in my previous comments, if it works for you who is to criticise?

Edited By Chris Crew on 25/03/2023 17:03:09

Edited By Chris Crew on 25/03/2023 17:10:53

Sorry Chris. I will not be in the firing squad.

I will happily use a junior hacksaw for cutting through the small final diameter sometimes left from parting off. This is done with two blocks of wood over the lathe bed and with the lathe switched off. I do not consider this bad practice.

There are far worse things you can do on a lathe. At work, about 50 years ago, we used a rather big lathe for measuring the break-out torque of a large pipe coupling. This was only matched be using a tensile testing machine as a very large vice.

JA

Edited By JA on 25/03/2023 19:04:02

23/03/2023 19:12:58

The reason I asked is in the past there has been some debate about the practice.

My present largish lathe is the first I have owned with a power cross feed. After I got it I happily used the powered feed for parting off until this was discussed in a forum. The opinion was that the practice was an absolute no-no. So I went back to using a hand feed.

Recently talking to others who know what they are doing I got the universal reply "Why give up using the power feed if you have never had problems".

The more I think about it using a hand feed is a sign of a lack of confidence and a power feed ensures the tool is continuously cutting.

Many thanks, and I am going back to using the power feed. There is always the big red button.

JA

23/03/2023 11:43:19

Instead of hijacking the running thread on rear tool posts I have a simple question:

How many people part off on a lathe with the cross feed powered instead of hand operating the feed?

JA

Thread: Rear tool post vs front tool post
23/03/2023 11:35:45

Some of the photos posted seem to show the parting off tool mounted in the rear post with the cutting face upwards. In other words to part off the lathe would have to run backwards. I strongly believe a lathe, for any cutting, only rotates one way. I hope my observation is wrong.

I use a rear tool post on the Myford but have yet to do so on the little lathe. Watching the parting off bronze on the little lathe the build up of chips, trapped between the tool and the work, is alarmingly rapid. This leads me to believe a rear tool post works because it prevents this build up chips, just let gavity work.

JA

Thread: Conversion Calculator. Need to convert thous/inch into microns/metres
17/03/2023 21:35:30

My conversion calculator is now a slide ruler, very quick and, generally, quite accurate enough.

Somethimes the old ways are still good.

JA

Edited By JA on 17/03/2023 21:36:28

Thread: Harrogate show
12/03/2023 11:20:14

I did not go due to the prior bad press and that it is over 200 miles from me.

I have seen photographs of some very good models but I would be interested in knowing which traders attended.

JA

Thread: Why is the world of model engineering still imperial?
11/03/2023 09:49:50

Keith & Martin

Thanks for the details on super and subscripts.

Martin, I have just taken a look at your link. How am I going to remember that at my age? Perhaps I could if I removed Imperial Units from my brain.

JA

10/03/2023 17:26:04
Posted by Martin Connelly on 10/03/2023 16:29:41:

JA m/s² m³

Martin C

I am trying to understand the above. Please, no one, DO NOT explain unless you are going to tell me how to put superscript and subscript in to a posting.

JA

10/03/2023 12:07:52

My one annoyance with the SI system is the use of names like Newton and Pascal. I think parameters should be expressed in their fundimental units. For example the units of force would be kg.m/s^2 (it would be nice to have a superscript font).

One has to suspect some form of nationalism here. Perhaps it will end when a parameter is named after Santos, the great Andorran physicist.

JA

Edited By JA on 10/03/2023 12:10:02

Thread: Workshop Mistakes (True Confessions)
10/03/2023 11:46:55
Posted by Howi on 10/03/2023 10:33:58:

I am sure we can all relate to massive cock ups, but remember, those that do not make mistakes, do not learn or make anything.

It's amazing what we can make when sat in a chair, the reality is a little different.

Keep making those mistakes folks, in the knowledge that you are now wiser than you were before.

Edited By Howi on 10/03/2023 10:34:32

The above is nice and may be a justification for making mistakes.

Many do not learn from their mistakes. You do not have to make mistakes to learn something.

Yes, we all make mistakes. Sometimes you can be proud of them. Occasionally they can be really useful.

JA

Thread: Flying scotsman
09/03/2023 19:40:07

I believe all drivers had to have been firemen first.

At the start of my apprenticeship I was in digs. One of the landlady’s sons had been a fireman on the Midland Region expresses. He had a jumper while passing through Burton on Trent station at speed. It completely wrecked him.

I never wanted to be an engine driver.

JA

Thread: Workshop Mistakes (True Confessions)
09/03/2023 12:59:43

Too many but I have never damaged myself.

In my experience it is always the operator's fault.

The blame culture does not work in your own workshop. When I get the chance I need to start a lessons learnt log (just like work). It will be a spread sheet with all entries in large upper case Ariel bold. Perhaps I may use it as a screen saver.

JA

08/03/2023 14:24:54
Posted by derek hall 1 on 08/03/2023 13:43:36:

A branch off this thread would be "the future of model engineering?"

Both my sons in law (in their early30's) have no idea about "practical" stuff let alone have engineering skills or the pro's and cons of metric or imperial measurement.

Houses are getting more expensive for the younger generation and those that have a garage or even a garden big enough to put a shed in suitable for a workshop are at a premium. If you live in rented accommodation then its even harder to create a workshop. Not even factoring in the cost of machine and hand tools against the cost of living and bringing up a young family for example.

I do not want to change the direction of this thread but I think there maybe a part of imperial measurements that may turn off budding model engineers (young and old).

The days of coming home from work having your tea and going out to the "shed" to bash some metal have changed dramatically.

But the world of Model Engineering is slowly, albeit very slowly turning metric thanks to new published designs (thanks to Jason and others!) - I think this makes the design more accessible and understandable to the metric only generation......and they are the future model engineers

No. That is a new topic and I have been resisting starting it for a few days. At present I have got my hands full with the minor disasters of life (not weather or health related).

JA

08/03/2023 11:49:20

After five days we have returned to the question and probably the same answers.

Model engineering will truely go metric when there is the demand. The majority of us are boring old farts (excuse me) who can handle Imperial and SI units and even worse argue about their merits. The younger generation have, in general, little knowledge of Imperial units and don't want to know. The change will come during their time and it will be slow since the hobby is, at present, moribund (and not just because it is snowing). How the change takes place and managed is outside our influence, fortunately.

JA

Thread: Oddly Built Wall - Can anyone explain why?
07/03/2023 16:17:31

Dave

Pay a visit to the Withshire County Archives at Chippenham. They should be able to tell you all about the building.

It seems to me that we are suffering from cabin fever having been driven out of our workshops by the cold. It should be warmer at the weekend.

JA

06/03/2023 21:39:04
Posted by Martin Kyte on 06/03/2023 21:08:22:

So I contend that the majority of people measure mass not weight.

I thought I would just post that for fun.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 06/03/2023 21:10:29

Edited By Martin Kyte on 06/03/2023 21:11:14

And the someone comes along with a spring balance. I believe they are very very common.

Really this thread is going nowhere. Perhaps I should blame Isaac.

JA

Thread: Dead-Blow Hammer Recommendations Please
06/03/2023 21:34:55
Posted by alan-lloyd on 06/03/2023 20:45:45:

Check out Hemingways Machinists Hammer, easy to make and nicely balanced

I made one and I use the little hide/copper headed Thor mallet in preference.

JA

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate