By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for SteveW

Here is a list of all the postings SteveW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Governor pin joints
12/06/2013 08:58:39

To close a rivet on a moving joint I was taught to put a couple of paper/thin card washers between the moving parts to give some clearance. Rivet up and what paper you can't remove will work out with some oil and use.

However, for me, it was all a bit hit and miss... I don't think it was intended for any precision joints only the more agricultural devices!

SteveW

Thread: Chuck Storage
11/06/2013 12:00:25

I keep mine on a very low shelf with a bit of scrap ply to keep rubbish out. Any slip with oily hands could be bad news for the chuck and worse for the toes!

SteveW

Thread: The Return/Enter key
23/05/2013 09:04:07

I'll give that a try now:

Compatability view works! Many thanks! Goodness know what changed to stop me using it 'cos it had been working and (as far as I know) nothing had been changed...

Steve w

22/05/2013 17:31:27

Anyone know where my return key has gone? When posting I don't now seem to be able to add a new line or paragraph. I'm using IEv10 Steve W

Thread: Buying descision
22/05/2013 17:26:13

Spend it on a lathe a bit bigger than you think you need, keep a little to buy any tooling, taps etc (say £150) and start saving for a mill. Steve W

Thread: Jogging
20/05/2013 07:48:21

For all those times when you use the chuck as a 'handle' to move it round. In my view not so much use on a small lathe (or mill really) but jolly useful on a large machine. The larger the machine more useful it is... SteveW

Thread: Are your cap head/grub screws filling with swarf?
16/05/2013 11:51:24

Sounds like a good idea. I dislike any blowing of swarf esp brass - tends to get places I can't seedisgust

Thread: Lathe selection
26/04/2013 11:21:10

I have a WM250. I would suggest mounting it high rather than low. If too high you can use duck boards, if too low the back ache will never go away! I visited Warco and had a good measure up and settled for the hieight the lathes were displayed at. This was height of stand plus the wheeled chassis they use. So far, I have been pleased with my choice. SteveW

Thread: Another "what is it"?
31/03/2013 18:47:56

I reckon its a reference flat used when scraping a surface. Bit like a small surface plate for small areas or weaker fitters.

Thank you, but you may keep it on this occasion! Could be good quality cast iron though...wink 2

SteveW

Thread: Conversion Chart
27/03/2013 09:46:29

Its most useful (to me) if tapping drills etc are all metric but I guess some will prefer imperial depends on your drill stock! I would find % engagement sizes particularly useful.

This will be a useful starting point for a magasine as so many people have contributed their views before the publication - something not often available for the editor to consider. Hence I'm looking forward to it!

SteveW

Thread: Warco wm-14
26/03/2013 09:13:02

If you can, visit the Warco(Chester) showroom. I found they were very helpful when I bought my lathe and I took all the measurements from an actual machine. This allowed me to estimate the best height for a bench and access requirements so when the lathe came I was able to 'put it to bed' straight away.

SteveW

Thread: Steam engine
10/03/2013 12:09:44

That is great. While I worry about if I have the right size reamer and if ENxx will be OK you make an engine and have it running. I will try and learn from what you have done - many congratulationsface 1

Steve W

Thread: Warco lathe
12/02/2013 11:13:56

I've been pleased with my wm250. Before purchase I went along to Warco with a rule and checked out all major measurements that I needed to make a decision and make a bench. I made the bench a bit taller than necessary on the basis that I did not need back ache and i could stand on a duck board (manufactured from a pallet) if needed. So far I have not needed that but grandson and other small visitors have been grateful!

I've found the slow speed perfectly OK for the sort of cuts I take; in fact the speed is rock steady and the motor control so easy I never really want to see a gearbox again...

Steve W

Thread: Equipping a workshop
09/01/2013 17:57:25

I'd suggest a visit to Warco (for example) as being well worth the time and trouble. You can see the machines and gauge their size. I went back a second time to check with a tape as well!

I have been happy with Warco products and would judge them good value as the WM250 comes pretty complete - important if its your first machine. I decided against second-hand as I did not feel confident that I could make an informed judgement. Bit like buying your fisrt second-hand car without Dad to advise...

Best advice for milling machines is to tot up all the extras you will need when you consider purchase.

Of course there are also clubs to help and let you see things running.

Steve

Thread: Heat treating machined part
17/12/2012 11:15:48

Big lumps of steel don't benefit much from any heat treatment unless they are subject to direct wear and you do stand a slight chance of it distorting afterwards. So I would leave alone and get on with using the lathe for more exciting things...

SteveW

Thread: Flattening tube ends.
09/12/2012 12:01:29

I think I'd take two short bits of angle and file a radius in the top corner. Then use them in the vice. I think you will need to experiment with a more gradual radius to get the effect you want. The bits of angle would only have to be a bit longer than the tube diameter so not very wasteful.

As it's in stainless ....good luck!

Steve w

Thread: Bar stock
05/12/2012 19:13:13

I'd say down to 150mm long as some will not have a large lathe bore to cope with more. But I guess you can nibble it down to what suits you.

I would not pay 'top dollar' unless I had a use in mind, but would be happy to pay 'bargain basement' for an addition to my scrap bin.

SteveW

Thread: Spray on rubber coating
21/11/2012 19:34:13

Normal way might be to wrap wire round more than once. Sorry if someone else has suggested that.

SteveW

Thread: Choice of lathe
21/11/2012 16:11:52

I had the same problem. Rather than buying a Myford that had been 'pre-owned' and of dubious pedigree I bought a new Warco 250. It came with all the necessary to get started including 3/4 jaw chucks a complete set of tools. I think the tools and equipment are important. Not all Myfords come with everything and some with nothing as owners try and extract the maximum cash by selling off all the bits.

So far it is better (more accurate) than I am. Maybe I'll find its weaknesses but it has got me hooked.

I would loved to have been able to have a heavier lathe but circumstances (mainly room) dictate this is the biggest I can house.

Steve W

Thread: Flat living and workshop dreaming
14/11/2012 17:42:59

I know I'm repeating others but try local model club and any evening classes at colleges/schools etc. These are a bit thin on the ground but if you found one you could make use of the facilities and expertiese for a fairly modest outlay.

You may even find a local modeller who would welcome some company or be prepared to give you some access in return for liquid paymentwink

SteveW

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate