By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Clive Hartland

Here is a list of all the postings Clive Hartland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Storm in America
25/12/2022 21:41:28

Son in Houston, texas has Minus 7c at the moment.

Thread: Unidentified Tool, similar to a 'push-pin'
18/12/2022 21:18:14

This item is used by Beekeepers making up frames to push the frame nails into position before hammering them in.

Thread: Freezing......
12/12/2022 08:10:37

1947 was the year I remember, the river Medway froze over with 6" of ice being tidal it stayed where it was. It snowed on my birthday, Feb. 27th. and lasted 3 weeks. We had snow right up the front door, open door , a wall of snow.

I hate it now, too much work shovelling it off paths etc. Dog loves it! Clive

11/12/2022 18:35:02

My Airedale likes to drink from the outside tap, it's frozen and she tries to drink and looks at me very puzzled.

It did thaw this afternoon but now we have snow on the North Downs in Kent,

Thread: Flooded gas pipes
09/12/2022 14:30:34

I can still remember when I was a child the local gas works coming round and pumping water out of the gas pipes in the road. It used to stink for days as they left it in the gutters. Late forties.

Thread: New type postage stamps
09/12/2022 14:28:30

I gave up collecting Great Britain stamps when the self adhesive stamps came in.

Sad, i know but sometime down the line a family member will be glad.

I often wonder if foreign countries use self adhesive stamps? Clive

06/12/2022 14:06:13

I am getting letters and cards now with the new type stamps on them.

But, they are not franked! Can I re-use them?

Bit iffy I think. Clive

Thread: !960s Eterna-Matic automatic watch, Can anyone recommend a repairer?
04/11/2022 11:37:34

The big swiss watch makers now no longer supply parts to watchmakers. Only to their distributors.I would make sure the, 'Eterna matic', went to the main UK agent as stated by Peak4.

Thread: Excavating a deep hole in a log
04/11/2022 11:32:50

Cut the log in half lengthways and proceed from there with the chain saw.

Join up the 2 halves with a few stainless steel screws from the ship chandler.

Thread: !960s Eterna-Matic automatic watch, Can anyone recommend a repairer?
04/11/2022 07:33:33

I put my Omega seamaster automatic in for service, it took 10 days and when it came back all the bright surfaces on the machanism were all scratched. also they had lost the regulating screw saying it was fine and not to worry, for £100.00 fee, this was in 2004, I have to say that the Omega has kept worse time than my digital watch since!

Pick your watch repairer with care!

Thread: Photograph Resizer
03/11/2022 13:18:54

PIXresizer works for me.

Thread: Rolleiflex flashgun
20/10/2022 22:20:47

It seems I picked the wrong spec for the battery, it is a 3.7v. 500mAh.

So I will have to start looking again.

Thread: ML10 Headstock Belt Change
20/10/2022 22:18:59

You will save yourself a lot of trouble by fitting a link belt.

Thread: Rolleiflex flashgun
19/10/2022 22:16:37

I have had a reply back from, All Batteries, no go with them as they have no batteries to suit.

As SOD says perhaps make up a pack to fit the space in the casing? which batteries though.

Thanks to all who have contributed to my query.  Clive

Edited By Clive Hartland on 19/10/2022 22:17:15

19/10/2022 14:29:09

Thank you Michael, the flash identifies as model E19.

I have printed off the user manual and the spec. says the battery is NIcad 5v223 mAh.

I can now follow up Bills pointers.

Thank you

19/10/2022 07:49:06

Hi again Bill, it's a Rolleiflex flash gun, I have had it since new, maybe mid 70's. Matches the Rollei 2.8F camera I have. I never see the Rolei flash guns of that age for sale anywhere.

I will follow up the recomendations you have offered. Clive

18/10/2022 22:24:30

Hi Bill it has 3 cells, it's dead so I cannot measure it. I have just cut the shrink sleeve around it and it has leaked white powder all through the pack

18/10/2022 15:10:08

The flash gun to my 2.8F Rolleflex camera has gone duff, I opened it up and the Nicad pile battery is sulphated. Crystals formed outside the casing of the battery which is dead. No doubt I will not be able to replace as a Nicad but hopefully a similar type. As it is a pile battery 35mm dia. x 29mm long, where do I look?

Thread: To Old
12/10/2022 22:33:24

hen I was 60 I was surprised to see written on outside of my medical docs, 'Geriatic'.

Now I am 85 do I get another designation?

Edited By Clive Hartland on 12/10/2022 22:33:55

Thread: Whitworth's Octagonal Sniper rifle
20/09/2022 22:33:49

I read one time about a chap in the US who lived inthe backwoods who made his own guns. he used old vehiclle axles and used a lead cast slug with a part of a hacksaw blade to cut the rifling, anything is possible.

I had a black powder rifle, cal. .567 and it had Ogive rifling. It was made by a Sottish gun maker who it seems has little history that I could find. The rifle was made in 1860.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate