By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nathan Sharpe

Here is a list of all the postings Nathan Sharpe has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Historic/Craft engineering
28/12/2019 19:49:56

Michael, I hope you find something of interest in them. On the machine based films just working out the mechanism fascinates me. I've just finished watching the water powered sawmill film, incredible ! Nathan.

27/12/2019 21:55:08

Just been watching some of series of film archive on YouTube. It may be of interest to others, German only but the footage makes the process fairly obvious .Just search for "Digital Heritage Service" on YouTube.

Tried to add a link but didn't work this time. Nathan.

Thread: Madmodder website
05/11/2019 18:28:37

Thanks Jason.

05/11/2019 18:13:31

Do any of you also use the Madmodder site? If so are you able to view it at present or do you get a "504 " message? Nathan.

Thread: PC problem
22/09/2019 18:13:10

I wonder if the collective could help me? This morning when I switched on the PC and started to read the news articles on MSN nearly every article was shut down by Malwarebytes. The usual reason was "malvertising" and in other cases a general warning about the sites security. I then ran a scan with Malwarebytes which did not find any problems hiding in the system. The same shutdown of sites continued so I switched off and went to do something else ( siphoning the fuel from my son's dead car) then switched the PC on about an hour ago. Now instead of Malwarebytes shutting the same sites, that site offers me a quick quiz to win a phone or tablet and all purporting to come from Microsoft. It's web address is impossible to copy as it just seems to lengthen as I try to. Something has got through Malwarebytes and Windows Defender and I probably activated it just by shutting down and restarting later. How do I get rid of it ?

I'm running W10 pro 64 bit and I like it!

Nathan.

Thread: My Faircut Lathe
18/08/2019 22:32:32

Andy, that's a nice looking machine. Have you looked on Tony's site for the photos of original set up ?

Steve, that looks repairable to me if you use modern/ trad methods. Clean the crack, drill for "pinch bolts", epoxy in the crack and wind it together. You would need to check for circularity on bore and make a new plain bearing but not scrap as it is. Nathan.

Thread: electric paint sprayers
11/08/2019 00:08:35

Manny, like JohnF I've had good/excellent results with quality electric spray systems. You need to look at HVLP units. I started with an Apollo 400 many years ago and now use a Fuji machine for every finish, including cellulose on cars and two pack with "disposable" sprayguns. Just find a cheap gun that fits your system if spraying two pack. Last job was an MGB GT in mid blue, no problems, no "spatter" no runs. Just take your time to learn before using in anger!! Avoid,at all costs, the solenoid operated guns like the " Burgess" and it's modern equivalents. N.

Thread: Another scam
07/08/2019 17:06:56

Yesterday I opened my email inbox to find three messages supposedly from The National Lottery. All related to tickets that I had not bought and for draws I do not play. All were for tickets from June draws. I was expected to sign in to my lottery account direct from the email . The scammers look to be taking the remaining cash from the accounts they access but I have no idea how . All three deleted. Nathan.

Edited By Nathan Sharpe on 07/08/2019 17:10:10

Thread: Using a brake cylinder
25/07/2019 00:04:56

Mike, I was thinking about a traction/steam cylinder. Much modification but is it possible? N

24/07/2019 23:15:18

Just a general question. Has anyone used or thought of using a vehicle brake cylinder in their modelling? Nathan.

Thread: Tyres for bandsaw
24/07/2019 12:25:11

Gary, if you're going to use the tape as I did you must make sure that the wheels are clean and abraded. I used two separate layers with the joints 180* apart on the wheels. Hope it works for you. Nathan.

24/07/2019 10:38:22

When I replaced the tyres on my 14" wood bandsaw I used self amalgamating tape as used by electricians. It's still on after 10 years. Others have used Plasticote and Plastidip, both available from online suppliers. Nathan.

Thread: T nut slot channel
08/05/2019 22:58:16

I suggest you go to the "8020inc" store on ebay to find your extrusion and then look closer to home. Nathan.

07/05/2019 23:52:08

It looks like the link provided by MichaelG is for end supported loads given that they show a deflection. In practice, Unistrut provides support for much greater weights, given that you fix to horizontal substrate (ceiling) or vertical substrate (wall), at the correct fixing spacing. In a concrete building (modern Hospital) , I'm happy for suspension of 200mm/8" heating main to be suspended from Unistrut at 1Mtr centre. In reply to postings as to the nut fixing, it is not a tee nut, it is a Cam nut which aligns two slots/grooves to the rail therefore applying both inward and downward pressure as the fixing screw is tightened. Nathan.

Thread: Harrison L5 "HELP Please"
15/04/2019 22:24:13

I should have said that it can take some time to correctly adjust but that is time well spent. That same adjustment is also giving you safe braking so take your time and do it several times if needed. I could copy and PM you the relevant pages if you wish? Mine was a pig to do the first time but now is easy. Nathan.

15/04/2019 22:18:22

Have you checked the clutch components? Do you have the manual? If so then follow the instructions to adjust your clutch, usually just cleaning components and retensioning the spring but occasionally you will need to remove one or more of the shim washers on the shaft. Harrison state that disassembly and cleaning should be carried out at six month intervals. If you don't have the manual then buy one from Tony at Lathes etc. Nathan.

Thread: Waterproof cabinet / box?
13/04/2019 19:25:25

How about a plastic coal bunker? Cheaper than the Adept cabinets and larger. My 500kg bunker is approx. 600 x 1200 x 1000mm, keeps the fuel dry so should keep your RC dry. N

Thread: Harrison L5 chuck datum
14/01/2019 22:09:04

Fizzy, I think that Tony (Lathes) stocks them or you could do as I did for my small (150mm) 4 jaw and buy s/hand catch plates. Remove the pin, face it and then machine to suit. Works for me and has done for 6 years now. Nathan.

Thread: Windows 10 again
01/12/2018 10:52:31

Thank you all for your efforts. Brian, I'll try those two surge protectors.,Danny, I think your suggestion is the only positive method if you know a storm is coming. SOD, I'm in the tropical bit of North Wales about 300 mtrs altitude and not more than a mile from the Zip World attraction. That unit from RS might not be too expensive when you consider the replacement costs for phones and PC. Hugh, thank you,I'll PM my details . Nathan

Thread: Tungsten Alloy
30/11/2018 21:25:46

Duncan, have you thought of Tungsten darts as your material source? Wrong shape but prices are low. With your skills you could find a workround? nathan.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate