By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Johnston

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Johnston has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Alibre There Eventually - Sort of
02/08/2023 10:03:43

I am flummoxed by the idea of creating a part in an assembly, ie, the shaft in an assembly of gears. How does one then create a 2D drawing of the shaft that doesn't exist as a seperate part?

I prefer to create seperate parts, that represent the parts I wlll actually make. When creating a part I don't sweat over dimensions initially. Just create all the features I need to create a part that is topologically correct. I can then go back and add dimensions.

Assemblies are created from individual parts, using constrains as needed. Just as one would build the physical item. I only use constraints that are strictly necessary. Not only is an assembly used to make sure holes in mating parts line up for instance, it is also used to make sure that parts fit together and move correctly when the assembled parts move, as they would in reality. Like this assembly of the motion work on my traction engines:

motion work assembly.jpg

I tend to design gears complete with accurate tooth forms. Here is a bevel gear model:

complete bevel.jpg

An assembly to check meshing:

assembly.jpg

And reality after CNC machining:

bevels_me.jpg

The bevel gear PCD is 1" at the outer end.

Andrew

Thread: High Speed Milling
01/08/2023 10:07:12
Posted by Iain Downs on 01/08/2023 09:45:08:
I've also seen quite a bit of both lateral and angular run out.

Decent quality slitting saws, on a good arbor, should run with negligible side to side wobble. Radial runout is another matter. Even on industrial machines, and arbors, they run out enough to hear the change in note as the saw rotates.

Andrew

Thread: UK Made Boilers
01/08/2023 09:38:51
Posted by Trevor Johnsson on 01/08/2023 09:30:46:

Both of the ASBSC codes for boiler limit the operating pressure to 700 bar..

Really?

Andrew

Thread: Machine Oils - Old Spec (Current Equivalent)
30/07/2023 16:17:28

Just because it looks like a grease nipple doesn't mean it is for grease - RTM. smile

Andrew

Thread: New Boring Head received-Questions about boring bar indexed-?
29/07/2023 15:50:31

Just because it is marked Vertex doesn't mean it was made by them. It would be helpful to know where you are based and who you are buying from.

Andrew

Thread: Damaged Screws & QCTP help!!!
29/07/2023 15:16:50

Use a ruler! Looks like there are about 6 thread pitches on the screw. Measure across the six pitches, metric and imperial. Dividing one my t'other, and inverting for imperial, will give an estimate of pitch (metric) or tpi (imperial) to 5% or so. Could be metric, imperial British or imperial US.

Looking at the height of the screw the pitch appears to be about 1mm aka ~25tpi. The diameter doesn't seem to agree with any particular thread standard, other than 7/32" BSW, which wouid be an unusual choice.

Andrew

Thread: New Boring Head received-Questions about boring bar indexed-?
29/07/2023 13:34:48

None of my boring bars (home made or commercial) have flats. Same as Jason, none have ever been marked. The grub screws should be flat and smooth on the bearing end. The only exception are the horizontal extension bars on my commercial boring heads, which have flats. That is because they are subject to higher torque than a boring bar. If anyone doesn't know what I mean by extension bars I can post a picture.

Andrew

29/07/2023 11:52:12

The salesman is a clueless idiot.

A stickout of 120mm is far too much. A rule of thumb is 5 times the boring bar diameter, so 60mm in this case. My experience of using inserts, even with a high end industrial boring head, is that they are very prone to chatter. So much so that I have reverted to HSS toolbits; as in this setup:

boring_hp_liner.jpg

The home made boring bar is 7/8" diameter and stickout is about 6", so more than the rule of five times. I initially used an insert boring bar, but it chattered badly, so I quickly reverted to HSS.

My 50mm Soba boring head came with several HSS boring bars, all about 75mm overall, so around 40mm stickout. After grinding they sort of worked but at least they didn't chatter.

Andrew

Thread: Chester face mill inserts
25/07/2023 20:26:50
Posted by JasonB on 25/07/2023 20:18:51:

Chester do list them, they are in the OP's original link.

It's a stock code, not an ISO insert type. Which is why i said the insert type wasn't mentioned. Fine if one wants to order from Chester, useless if one wants to order from elsewhere.

Andrew

25/07/2023 19:48:49

The insert type doesn't seem to be mentioned on the appropriate Chester product page. That's a red flag and means I'd avoid the cutter like the plague. The inserts are probably not standard and/or not common. So you have to buy them from Chester.

Andrew

Thread: Circular connector identification (A&S Bridgeport)
25/07/2023 19:45:08

On my A&S made Bridgeport it says on the connector they are made by LPA. Rather to my surprise LPA are still going and are relatively close to me, in Saffron Walden.

LPA Group

The part number on my connector is X4S which is part of the LPA Niphan industrial connector range. However the push fit/panel mount version appears to be obsolete. The group as a whole seem to be heavy industrial so their products are unlikely to be stocked by distributors.

Andrew

Thread: Quick change tool post and ball cutting
24/07/2023 10:06:50

Following on from Nigel's post my 4-way toolpost is sort of indexing, every 9 degrees. In the above picture of the copy unit the indexing plate can just be seen lower left. That is one reason I never fitted the Dickson toolpost.

I keep meaning to machine a single block shim to the correct thickness for my commonly used tools, but have never quite been irritated enough when changing tools to do so.

Andrew

24/07/2023 10:00:15

I agree with the previous posters; I don't bother with a QCTP for the same reasons. Early on I bought a Dickson toolpost and some holders, but never fitted it, and never will.

Most of my turning is done with four tools; a RH knife tool, RH oblique tool to use the other corner on the inserts, parting off blade and a boring bar. If I need to change tools on a job it is simple to keep the shims with the tool after initial setup. Centre height isn't as critical as is made out; I line up by eye against a centre in the tailstock.

I can't comment on ball turning units as I've never used one. For handles and non-critical work I chamfer and then use files. For more precise work I use a hydraulic copy unit:

hydraulic copy unit.jpg

It came with a custom Dickson toolpost, so I use it. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Andrew

Thread: Using a boring head
24/07/2023 09:46:07

Oh dear, as usual I am out of step, on the vertical mill I use the quill:

kuroda_boring_head.jpg

I sometimes use the quill lever for roughing, but mostly use the power downfeed on the quill as I am lazy, and it gives a more consistent finish.

For deep holes, that exceed the quill travel, I use the horizontal mill:

boring_hp_liner.jpg

Andrew

Thread: Mill power feed speed modification
23/07/2023 13:35:33
Posted by UncouthJ on 23/07/2023 13:21:30:

...such crappy plastic items to provide a point of failure redundancy.

Nothing to do with that; it's all down to cost of manufacture. Once a mold is produced it costs pence to churn out plastic gears.

Andrew

Thread: Unacceptable bodge or not
23/07/2023 13:31:21

The arrangement is not a bodge. Any of the four combinations of BSP parallel and taper is acceptable, provided one understands the limitations.

BSPP = parallel thread

BSPT = tapered thread

BSPP external to BSPP internal - not regarded as pressure tight, ie, the seal is made by the threads themselves. Mainly used for non-pressure glands and fittings, or where pressure tightness is achieved by other means such as tapered cones on the pipe and recesses

BSPP external to BSPT internal - not regarded as creating a pressure tight joint using the thread alone, not much used

BSPT external to BSPP internal - can provide a pressure tight joint using the thread alone. It is relatively easy to create a tapered external thead compared to a tapered internal thread, so this combination is a good compromise. Of course some additional sealing can provide belt and braces.

BSPT external to BSPT internal - provides a pressure tight joint using the thread alone

Andrew

Thread: Warco WM290 or GH600
21/07/2023 20:19:58
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 21/07/2023 19:40:46:

...VFD powered motors don't lose torque at high RPM.

Wrong!

Take a VFD and an induction motor designed to run at 50Hz. At 50Hz the associated speed is called base speed, and rated power will be obtained with the rated voltage applied.

Above 50Hz the rated voltage is not enough to maintain costant phase currents, so the torque falls off. But the speed increases, and since power is torque time speed the power stays constant. Which is what I think SoD meant to say.

Andrew

Thread: How to machine this?
21/07/2023 13:26:56
Posted by JasonB on 21/07/2023 12:19:54:

Not convinced they were cast...

Look at the finish, pretty rough for machined surfaces.

Andrew

20/07/2023 21:18:13
Posted by Steve355 on 20/07/2023 21:08:30:

...finish and accuracy is very good, which is what made me think it may have been machined.

Much more likely to have been cast and then cleaned up, probably by hand.

Andrew

Thread: Case Hardening Push Rod Ends
20/07/2023 20:58:00
Posted by not done it yet on 20/07/2023 20:05:06:
Tempering at 550 Celsius seems rather high...

That was my initlal thought but it does tie in the with datasheet.

I think the OP is under a misapprehension, medium carbon steels are not intended for hardening and tempering in the same way as silver steel or gauge plate. Instead the heat treatment is more about optimising impact resistance and yield point. For medium carbon and alloy steels tempering at temperatures normally used for silver steel can reduce the impact resistance.

Before deciding upon a material what are the important qualities? For instance surface hardness, ductility or impact resistance?

Andrew

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate