By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Pratt 1

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Pratt 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Easy angle positioning in your vice
18/04/2023 16:48:26

Sorry I can't see any advantage to the 'lightly clamp part in vice and tap to suit method' that I use, just my opinion.

Tony

Thread: Creating rectangular blind hole
17/04/2023 16:56:17
Posted by Rowan Sylvester-Bradley on 17/04/2023 15:10:53:

Yes, but I still need to drill small holes 30mm deep, and the problem of the drill wandering and not ending up in the correct position remains. I am gravitating towards milling the basic hole, and squaring up the corners with a specially ground cold chisel.

Rowan

Who says you have to drill small holes, 4/5 mm drilled hole should be fairly doable?

Tony

Thread: Tool post dovetail angle
15/04/2023 18:20:22

60 degree dovetail is correct

Tony

Thread: Creating rectangular blind hole
15/04/2023 15:45:48

2 mm endmill x 30 deep will not work, slotting as per Andrew J is doable in the home work shop, what machines have you got, both a lathe and mill can be used as a make shift slotter.

Tony

Thread: Reliance drill grinding attachment.
11/04/2023 19:26:38

I was quite good at sharpening twist drills back in the day, afraid my eyes just aren't good enough even with glasses to make a decent job of them these days.

Tony

Thread: Parting off using a powered cross feed
11/04/2023 17:39:10

John Haine, it's got to be cost hasn't it? My Warco lathe is so much better with an electronic leadscrew but the cost is way more than the few crappy change wheels supplied with the lathe as new.

Tony

11/04/2023 14:28:49

When I was on CNC lathes parting off was not my favourite occupation but high pressure flood coolant plus constant surface speed was a huge help.

Tony

Thread: Infrastructure Engineering
09/04/2023 10:09:31

Don't worry guys, like everything else the donkeys in charge will be on the case.

Tony

Thread: Ideas sought for a bolted metal work/lathe bench
08/04/2023 17:52:44
Posted by Bill Phinn on 08/04/2023 14:47:33:

Two details I was planning to incorporate into any completed bench are castors and levelling feet. This is another reason why I started thinking the Sealey bench wouldn't be appropriate - because it would be too high off the ground once castors were installed.

Not sure why you would need either? It's a bench.

Tony

Thread: Knurling wheels misterry
06/04/2023 17:00:01

China (or India), strikes again, get a refund.

Tony

Thread: Cleaning morse taper sockets
06/04/2023 10:14:00

Bo'sun, I have used the felt covered tapered tools for cleaning tapers but as you say they will not remove rust.

Tony

06/04/2023 09:56:01

I wouldn't use reamers to clean out rust, if the spindles are hard they may damage the reamer if soft the reamer might 'knacker' the spindle, I always prefer to use the wet and dry method as per JohnF.

Tony

Thread: Milling in the lathe
04/04/2023 13:48:51

If you buy a MT 4 milling adaptor you must use a draw bar through the spindle to secure it in place.

Tony

Thread: Warco Lathe Bedway Scratches
03/04/2023 12:15:58

When I bought my Warco 290V this ‘induction hardened bed’ issue did trouble me as I thought it was just shall we say, ‘not true’. Although my lathe has been OK over the last 3 years this thread reignited my curiosity and I had a further look at the bed, there is absolutely no sign of an induction hardening process being applied, no sign of heat discolouration even on the bed end where it hasn’t been ground and parts of the supposedly hardened bed are as soft as the unhardened parts. From nearly fifty years experience in engineering including performing hardening/induction hardening processes my conclusion is that my lathe bed has not been induction hardened at all. Disappointing I know but I’m not surprised at all.

Tony

Thread: Selling Machine Tools - Single Phase vs. Three Phase Price Differential.
02/04/2023 10:09:24

I would go with a VFD and give your M/C a good clean before trying to sell it, makes it so much more attractive, some jokers don't even bother to clean the swarf off their for sale machines, sort of tells me how they have been looked after.

Tony

Thread: Small Ground (GT) Inserts?
29/03/2023 15:43:17
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 29/03/2023 15:40:54:

I'd have thought this application cries out for a suitably ground HSS tool, say from a 6mm square blank. Low cost, effective and no need buy an additional insert tool-holder.

Exactly what I use but a larger HSS blank to suit my tool post.

Tony

Thread: Coventry Die Head
27/03/2023 17:53:42

Chris, were they sold as 'working'?, if they don't work send the lot back at the sellers expense.

Tony

Thread: State Pensions - Notification thereof.
26/03/2023 11:04:22

An Other, funnily enough or not I was told about my pension increase last week and received yesterday a letter from HMRC saying I owed them £1300 from tax year 2020-2021 as I had underpaid my tax, how the hell they waited this length of time I don't know and will be starting an OT thread for advice. I am so, so annoyed and couldn't sleep last night thinking about it.

Tony

Thread: Replacement nuts for lathe chuck
22/03/2023 20:33:40
Posted by Journeyman on 22/03/2023 18:47:27:

I use flange nuts on my WM250. It saves faffing about with nuts and washers in the very tight space, about 15mm, between the flange and the headstock.

finger.jpg

Couldn't find smooth faced flange nuts so made a threaded mandrel and turned the serrations off. Mine are just bog standard BZP nuts. Seem to work quite well, I don't think they actually take much load, certainly not done up particularly tight.

John

I did exactly the same John, after reading your web page 😀

Tony

Thread: What is this surface table used for
20/03/2023 10:45:23

Taken from Eley Metrology website 'In metrology, it is very common for customers to require threaded inserts to hold or clamp items in place during the measurement process. One area of caution must be observed if these clamping inserts are needed.'

Tony

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate