By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Watford

Here is a list of all the postings Watford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Our Wildlife and Conservation Activieties in Nambia
31/03/2018 21:30:27

Just to say thank you for all that you are doing to help this endangered wildlife.

Mike

Thread: Percolated coffee
24/03/2018 18:35:15

Have you got a food processor? A good whirl in one of those should do the trick.

Perhaps a kind neighbour could help you out with a one off so as not to waste the beans.

Mike

Thread: Magnetic Radiators
24/03/2018 18:30:23

That would be a horseshoe for a Trojan horse, would it Martin? dont know

Mike

24/03/2018 14:59:54

Thanks J.H., I am going with the sextant option!!!

Thanks also to all others who contributed. I am concluding that the cause is probably the residual magnetism from manufacturing heat and pressing. The boiler and radiators are only two years old and the system was well flushed at the time of change, so I think it unlikely that residual sludge is the cause. BUT you never know! Anyway your responses have answered the question, and for this I am grateful.

Mike

23/03/2018 09:18:39

Quite by chance I noticed that a compass sitting on a table next to a central heating radiator was not pointing to North. Moving it to the middle of the room it corrected itself. Checking the needle at each end of the radiator, there was a North and South polarity through the length of the rad.

Tried this around the house on several other rads with the same result.

Gas fired central heating boiler . There is a magnetic filter in the system which was recently cleaned during annual service.

Have any of you chaps got an answer to this phenomenon?

Mike

Edited By Watford on 23/03/2018 09:19:39

Thread: Elora coping saw - junior hacksaw
11/03/2018 18:55:17

Slightly off-topic but it might be of interest. I purchased this useful little saw, which takes Junior Hacksaw blades, a few years ago, and said that I would get another if ever I found one I never have. Gets into some tight spots.

Would not be too difficult to knock one up. The tension of the blade is by screwing the handle. The pins have to be removed from the blades.

Mike

dscf2021.jpg

Thread: ChrisB workshop build
15/02/2018 09:33:48

Has anybody thought to ask the factory how they put them on the timber base in the first place?

Mike

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
04/02/2018 18:45:34
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 04/02/2018 13:57:18:
Posted by Gordon W on 03/02/2018 16:44:56:

Yes, literally glued. I asked her afterwards what glue and what, if any, hardener but she had not noticed and did not seem very interested. Today the silencer fell of my car. Think I will go to bed 'til March.

Mitre Bond

Neil

Perhaps only to be used on higher orders of the clergy.question

Thread: Mystery Screws
30/01/2018 18:41:37

Nice rule. smiley

Thread: London model engineering exhibition
21/01/2018 19:10:14
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 20/01/2018 22:11:17:

Being one of those that used to go to Wembley Confrence Hall I really miss the "proper" model engineering exhibitions. I just hope that Doncaster & MEX has a few more models to look at.

Sam

I wonder which 'MEX' that might be, and if you have discovered something which we have all been waiting expectantly to hear. face 1

I particularly like your term "proper" model engineering exhibitions, which I remember from the New Horticultural HallS, back in 1946. Yes, you did one and then went across the road to the other - both packed.

Mike

Thread: Why Brake
06/12/2017 16:39:20

The origin of brake (not break) comes, I think, from the mechanism of the machine. The energy to do the pressing derives from a huge flywheel on a shaft across the top of the structure. The die doing the work is connected to the shaft via arms or levers attached to an eccentric cam on the shaft. The energy is transmitted through a brake (think huge expanding shoe brake as vintage car) which suddenly when triggered connects shaft to flywheel. Goes one turn and disconnects again. Thus the die is forced down to do its purpose.

Some forging hammers use a similar action and the operators are extremely skilled and can bring the hammer down with great accuracy and delicacy. Some being foot operated some by pulling on a rope.

Best I can do off the cuff but that has always been my understanding of the brake in brake press.

Mike

Thread: Measuring Tolerances
04/11/2017 09:23:56

We don't want any Moore of that.

Thread: Dressmakers pin edge finder
30/10/2017 19:26:08

Using an ordinary dressmaker's pin (no glass ball) with a dob of plasticene (or blue-tac) is a very useful way of locating a centre pop below a drill or centre drill in the drill press.

Mould a small lump, about the size of a sugar cube, around the point of the drill and stick the pin in as near vertical as practically possible.

Run the drill at the speed you are going to drill, and centre the pin point with the back of a thumb nail whilst it is running. It will centre and stay positioned.

Bring the pinpoint down to the centre pop and you are spot-on. Stop drill. Remove plasticene.

Keep the 'Sticky Pin' on the side of the drill casing for next time.

Usual safety precautions please.

Mike

Edited By Watford on 30/10/2017 19:27:08

Thread: Are you offended when the media poke fun at your hobby?
29/10/2017 18:21:40

You can have -2 cars after the showroom was robbed the night before.

Mike

Thread: John Stevenson
20/10/2017 11:55:02

John

Give this problem the same attitude that you have always used. We look forward to your pertinent comments on here once more.

But never mind us, just do it for Debs.

Very, very best wishes

Mike

Thread: What's this for?
15/10/2017 11:09:58

The daguerreotype was the first successful commercial photographic process, and was well within the timescale for Buck and Hickman to be producing such kit.

Daguerrotypes were current from 1839 to around 1860. B&H started around 1830.>>

Mike>>

Edited By Watford on 15/10/2017 11:17:06

15/10/2017 10:57:43

A Google on "patent dagplate" produced a possible answer.

A Daguerreotype or Dag plate was a silver coated copper plate used in early photography to capture the image. The plate needed to be very flat and smooth..

The Dag Plate holder was used (in several forms, some of wood) to hold the plate whilst it was buffed and polished.

I suspect that John's Dagplate, marketed by Buck and Hickman, was such an example and is probably a very rare beast.

Mike

Edited By Watford on 15/10/2017 10:59:55

14/10/2017 19:24:30

Does the rubber insert remove, and does it reveal anything interesting - like a thread?

What, approximately is the major diameter?

Mike

Thread: How to gring carbide scraper
08/10/2017 20:03:02

Martin,

It would be good to get rid of the file teeth if you are going to do any serious scraping, or you are going to have some very sore hands.

Mike

Thread: Raw black rubber
31/08/2017 18:50:01
I have had success with cold casting rubber.
From MB FibreGlass the variety I used was 'Polytek PT-Flex 85 PU Casting Rubber'.
There is a range of hardness's, 85 being at the hard end and equated to trolley caster wheels.
I was/am restoring a very vintage typewriter and need a new roller. I have had a trial run on a short roller which went O'K.
MB FibreGlass is worth a look as they have a vast range of such products.

Mike

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/polyurethane-rubbers/duroflex-85.html

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate