By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian P

Here is a list of all the postings Ian P has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: damaged allen screws removal
25/02/2023 16:52:24

If these tapped holes are on a tangent then drilling the grubscrews with a hand held pistol drill is not likely to go well as you have discovered.

If the threads are M6 and you have a lathe I suggest making drilling jigs from some M6 bolts by drilling them concentrically (say 4mm) and using them to guide a good quality sharp drill (ideally following the use of a spotting drill) to ensure the best chance of staying on axis. The donor bolts need to be long enough for their hex heads not to collide with the surface of the planer drum

Make several drilling jigs as its likely the bore of the jig will get ovalised.

I have recovered quite a few butchered Allen grub screws using the above method

Ian P

Thread: Thread Form
23/02/2023 14:33:26

It may have rounded off bottoms as well in which case it looks suspiciously like a 'knuckle' thread.

Ian P

Thread: Who is SMAC?
21/02/2023 15:31:44

It just seemed a poor article to me.

The heading text on the article referred to people improvising tailstocks, rather than DRO's on tailstocks.

Not many people are without internet access these days but since MEW is read in other countries a pointer to the suppliers address and contact details would not be out of place. I found the seller on ebay but not everyone trusts, likes or wants to buy off auction sites. (I'm fine with it!)

Ian P

P.S. I still don't know what SMAC issad

21/02/2023 15:09:34
Posted by mgnbuk on 21/02/2023 13:44:26:

Linn Tools

Ebay shop, with a physical address shown on the "about" page.

Nigel B.

and anyone without internet access......

IanP

21/02/2023 15:07:56

Typo in my heading. Its issue 325 of MEW

IanP

21/02/2023 13:08:41

I occasionally spot the odd error that creeps into MEW articles but I control the pedant in me and refrain from commenting mainly because I don't think it would be fair on the author.

The article on page 55 of MEW 325 seems wrong on so many aspects but this time I don't feel guilty about commenting on it as the author is not identified.

Initially I presumed it was an advert for the product but if it was I would have expected to see the manufacturer or suppliers details as the end of the text.

If it was an article submitted by a contributor to MEW the authors name (and often a picture) usually appears on the first page of the article.

Whilst the MEW index has a sensible title for the article the text article text itself begins as if its about 'improvised tailstocks'. It not a big boo boo but I'm surprised it slipped through.

Whilst the author does give any more details than the supplier being called LINN Tools and being findable with an online search, its not going to help readers (especially non UK) who do not have internet access.

The pictures in the article look to have come out of the 'could do better' category in the current 'Workshop Photography' article currently running in MEW. They are very poorly lit and do not even show details that are 'illustrated in photo 3'.

If I was considering purchasing the LINN DRO (or any digital caliper type device) is whether the reading is retained if the caliper blanks the display, whether it is by manual or auto power off.

Am I being to critical?

Ian P

Thread: Adaptation of the Proxxon Milling machine
19/02/2023 17:02:30

Its quite possible that the PCB contains an PSU with an isolated output but in one sense its irrelevant as almost certainly it will not be compliant with UK regs.

I know you have the lights fitted to a machine and in use, so please be careful, I suggest finding some way of adding a ground wire to metal flexy bit.

This comes up on Google

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Are two pin plugs legal in UK?

The three-pin/two-pin plug problem also arises if you're a UK retailer or distributor selling devices manufactured in Europe that come to you with a two-pin connector attached. UK law insists that all European electrical products must be converted to a three-pin UK plug before sale or distribution.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ian P

19/02/2023 16:27:19
Posted by duncan webster on 18/02/2023 23:37:07:

Just a caution, I bought 2 of those little Swan neck lights, but I've binned them. They have a capacitor to limit the current, but the plug wasn't handed, so the 240v could easily be applied to one end of the leds via a very thin wire inside the metal neck. No earth, no double insulation. Potentially deadly

Duncan, I dont want to take Grahams thread too far off topic but from your description those work lights should not be on sale in the UK.

From the descriptions of the ones being sold on ebay and Amazon I would have assumed that there was a proper SMPS in the magnetic base, if its just a capacitor dropper than I'm appalled! Please can you confirm if that the case?

In any event the ones I have seen are being marketed with a USA 2 pin plug so the product is wrong on several levels. But they look downright dangerous.

Ian P

Thread: What's this called?
16/02/2023 17:55:19

A friend wanting to measure the thickness of his car fibreglass bodywork made a lash-up double ended caliper with a 80cm throat at one end and a 30mm stroke dial indicator at the other. He made a calibration table to interpret the readings.

Ian P

Thread: Which lathe has 32x1.5mm pitch spindle thread?
14/02/2023 17:08:33

You did better than I did Nigel! and it confirms it is a woodturning chuck.

Ian P

14/02/2023 16:07:50

I borrowed a thread gauge so now I know it is 1.5mm pitch.

Still looking tor what it might fit and find someone that wants to buy it.

Ian P

14/02/2023 12:08:37
Posted by Hopper on 14/02/2023 11:49:13:

Possibly a woodworking chuck?

I thought that too, but its a fine pitch thread and not like woodworking lathes I've seen.

Ian P

14/02/2023 11:40:36

Definitely not a power chuck!

Its quite lightweight and unusual in that the the (reversible) jaws are inserted from the centre bore outwards.

Ian P

img_20230207_140041.jpg

img_20230207_140032.jpg

14/02/2023 09:44:19

In my collection of things that seemed a good idea at the time, I have a lever operated 4 jaw chuck that has an integral thread which seems quite fine in comparison to most lathes I know of.

The chuck is German, made by Niles, so I assume it a metric thread 32x1.5p

Does that size ring a bell with anyone?

Ian P

Thread: Minature Microswitches
12/02/2023 17:40:47

I'm pretty sure that a microswitch from any of the well know manufacturers will be of good quality and highly reliable.

Could it be that your switches are having to handle a current or voltage outside their specifications?

Ian P

Thread: DAMASCUS STEEL
11/02/2023 14:55:21
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 11/02/2023 08:40:37:

Have you ever made anything yourself?

Andrew

I think that is a really good question Andrew and I couldn't have put it better myself.

Ian P

Thread: Laser cut steel suppliers
10/02/2023 20:23:20
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 10/02/2023 20:15:12:

I have found that providing a DXF file to the laser cutter really brings the price down as does a personal visit.

I agree. Actually its NOT providing a DXF or dwg file that puts the price up.

Ian P

08/02/2023 22:23:42

I've used Microkerf for a few years now with complete satisfaction. The best part as far as I am concerned is that the quoting is online 24/7 and its interactive. Its easy to make changes to thickness, material, profile or part quantity and immediately see the difference in cost.

No connection other than a satisfied customer

Only downside is their website is a bit quirky!

Link below

Microkerf

Ian P

Thread: Some VERY interesting LED modules
06/02/2023 18:36:40

Thanks for the link Michael, I''ve just ordered two.

Ian P

Thread: Repairing a Soldering Iron
06/02/2023 13:32:40

Looks like Henley Solon iron so quite elderly and (depending one which model/wattage) not ideal for modern electronic equipment.

If there is leakage to ground in the element then its toast, if its just a wiring or cable fault then its an easy repair.

I would put it on ebay (they seem to be wanted by some collector or enthusiasts) and get a new proper new iron

Ian P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate