By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Clark 1

Here is a list of all the postings David Clark 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Happy New Year
01/01/2016 10:38:02

Happy new year to one and all. Time to start doing all the things I neglected to do in 2015.

Thread: How are people finding Windows 10?
01/01/2016 10:30:46

What are the privacy issues?

I have a Logitech 920 webcam and a blue yeti Mike although I don't use them a lot. I use the mike with Dragon Dictate.

Microsoft must have listened to me because after I said Windows 10 needed fixing they updated my PC and it works fine now.

Thread: Gloves
31/12/2015 10:14:38

Do not use gloves for machining. Your hands will get tough the more work you do. Always switch machine off when removing swarf and use a bent metal hook and long nose pliers. No swarf in front of hand, always behind when pulling.

Thread: Loctite - Can I warm it up, move the joint and let it cool again?
31/12/2015 10:11:09

I think 403 is thread lock so should move without heat, just a bit of pressure. I think heat destroys the bond, not melts it so clean off and make a fresh joint. Will the Stirling crankshaft get hot enough to destroy the bond when in normal use in which case silver solder might be a better bet.

Thread: How are people finding Windows 10?
31/12/2015 09:45:25

They need to fix it. I lost left click on the icons at the bottom of the screen and right click on the start menu and the Windows key does not work. This is a pain and it has not been fixed in 2 months. I have tried all of the fixes I can find published online but no luck.

I do like Windows 10 as it seems a lot faster and I got it for free as I was running Windows 8.1.

What happened to Windows 9 or can't Microsoft employees count?

Thread: Toolmaker builds his own flood defences
30/12/2015 13:15:19

What happens if the flood relief problem is at the lower end of the river? Wil this just move the problem upstream rather than curing it? Might be cheaper to build new houses off the flood plain and give one free to each affected house!

30/12/2015 09:54:57

I don't see how the government can justify spending millions on flood prevention until the house has been flooded at least once to prove they are lin danger.

Thread: My milling machine has gone belly up
29/12/2015 17:16:03

When fixed I would try lowering the value of the mains fuse until it started blowing and then increase it by one step so it is close to blowing.

You should always have a light in the workshop on a different circuit to the machines as well as a bulb on the machine circuit so except in a full power cut you have a working light.

Thread: Question: mounting slitting saw
29/12/2015 14:07:08

No need to use a key in the saw. However a key in the plain portion of a collar wil help stop the cutter turning.

Thread: Todays update from Bodgers Lodge
29/12/2015 14:04:06

Don't forget to put the bins out.

Thread: Keep snapping centre drills
29/12/2015 13:58:04

Has it been properly restored or just given a rub over with wet and dry and a lick of paint?

Thread: Question: mounting slitting saw
29/12/2015 11:59:37

If the arbor is fairly soft you could drill from the side opposite the key and tap the key out with a drift.

Thread: DRO is driving me crazy.
28/12/2015 16:11:20

Hi Ian Phillip Track on scale was my thought confirmed by others.

Thread: Cheap Coolant system for a mini-mill
28/12/2015 11:17:44

The only hose lock I have come across that leaks is when the links are cracked. To adjust coolant flow easily, use two taps in line. One to set the flow and one to turn on and off.

Thread: Coverting mitre saw to cut metal
28/12/2015 11:02:47

What about a hand mitre saw. Probably just have to change blade to hacksaw one.

Thread: New precision chuck for milling machine
27/12/2015 16:10:41

Quickest and cheapest method is to use a chuck with a parallel shank in an ER collet. Turn a bit of bar to a decent size, tighten the drill chuck on the bar, turn the parallel shank to fit the collet. Centre support the shank if necessary.

Thread: DRO is driving me crazy.
27/12/2015 16:05:33

5.09 is as near as dammit 0.2" I think.

Thread: Vice suggestions
27/12/2015 14:57:22

I have used Soba vices meant for a drill on a mill with no problems.

27/12/2015 11:31:32

The Arc Euro Trade or similar square vice will do what you want. Ground all over and very accurate. As a bonus, you can mount it on its side to lower headroom required.

Edited By David Clark 1 on 27/12/2015 11:32:17

Thread: Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke Engine
26/12/2015 16:53:36

Hi Stewart, what happened to the photo? Not showing on an IPad.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate