By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tom Sheppard

Here is a list of all the postings Tom Sheppard has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New car - or is it a wheeled computer?
07/04/2021 21:19:14

I scrapped the 18 month old VW because despite a wonderful engine, every other aspect of the car was so diabolically apalling, from the always being misted up to the woeful lights HVAC, positively dangerous roadholding and everything else it was so horrible I couldn't bring myself to sell it. I had it turned into an aeroplane tie down. The VW was replaced with another Mercedes but the quality was not up to "the best or nothing" so it went to be replaced with a current model Fiesta with every conceivable conceit. I love the stop start as I live in a town, The big powered mirrors, keyless starting, heated screen, comfy seats and effective HVAC make it easy to drive all day and the road sign recognition, navigation, phone integration, rear view camera and overall refinement (Synchromesh on reverse for example) make this little gem the final reason not to buy a classic car ever again. Keep your lumpy draughty noisy old bangers. This does nicely. A thoroughly modern Mini.

Thread: Soft soldering clearance.
01/04/2021 21:41:12

Job for 638 really, Steel will soft solder with the right flux but with the diameters you are using, I really wouldn't bother.

Thread: Can Loctite 638 really be this good?
01/04/2021 21:37:56

Yes, it can. It has pretty good gap filling and cures in the presence of metallic ions so surface area is a good thing. I have seen it do some things I would not have believed possible and would not think twice about trying it first.

Thread: Think you have trouble losing your chuck key?
01/04/2021 17:54:45

Isn't that a full size 26 2/3mm chuck?

Thread: Armadeal lathe
30/03/2021 18:20:10

I expect that it means drive. there are two types, brushed and brushless. The latter is desirable but bumps the price up between two and three hundred pounds so expect to be asked the question. I have an Amadeal brushless lathe but I haven't yet had the time to plug it in!

Thread: watchmakers lathe accuracy
16/03/2021 21:13:36

0.00004432951''', not 0.00004432951''. That is something completely different!

16/03/2021 20:32:40

To a watchmaker it measures 0.00004432951''' but one such will be sensible enough to use microns which are a proper measurement and coincidentally, what the dial is calibrated to.

16/03/2021 17:08:43

It is good enough to make watches with. It doesn't need to be any better than tha so it simply doesn't matter what its absolute accuracy is. The quality is in the hands that use it.

Edited By Tom Sheppard on 16/03/2021 17:09:28

Thread: A Certain Age
08/03/2021 21:47:59

Steam bent bamboo wrapped in carbon fibre tube electric scooter with regenerative braking and 25cc LPG four stroke range extending high voltage alternator feeding a switched mode charger supplying 120Volts at 3 Amps.

Inflatable luggage containers to reduce space required for storage.

But it isn't model engineering.

08/03/2021 20:02:12

As a newcomer here, the comments about the general unfriendliness of the ME community resonate, unfortunately. The fact that they will argue about fractions of nothing, often to the death over arcane examples of dead technology, (yes, steam junkies, I'm looking at you,) brings nothing to model engineering. Old men in sheds, one of which I am in danger of becoming are terribly boring when my company's apprentices grabbed the 3d printer and started mass producing PPE for the local hospital. Making copies of antiquities in small scale is old hat. Where are the new designs and projects? The Arduino and CNC modellers seem to be having a lot more fun.

Certainly the light aircraft homebuilt community, of similar demographic are more sociable and better humoured. Whether that has to do with the unforgiving nature of aviation, I don't know but after three months of looking in at it there isn't much for me in model engineering. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Thread: How do I get the bearings out of this?
08/03/2021 18:31:19

The narrow end of the assembly has a circlip which is to prevent the shaft being pushed through the wide end. Remove it and the shaft goes thataway. Detach the cover at the wide end to ensure there is no increased diameter behind it.

Thread: WM18 - Broken it again :(
03/03/2021 15:26:31

In what way is a number of microswitches not an electronic brain? The principles were carried over into the 4004, " micro processor" which was created to run washing machines.

Edited By Tom Sheppard on 03/03/2021 15:27:16

Thread: Carb for single cylinder engine
01/03/2021 18:55:01

Have you considered replacing the carburettor with a simple spraybar as used in a model aircraft engine in order to establish a calibration datum? This would help you to get the engine running nicely before spending a lot of time going down a series of trial and error blind alleys to find a solution.

Thread: Would this improve the quality of signal to a CNC machine?
27/02/2021 17:09:59

Or RS-232.

27/02/2021 12:06:54

A digital signal is an analogue signal with only two or three levels. That is why it is called a digital signal. (Yes, if zero is a level, and it is, then digital signals can have three levels, but they are still digital signals.)

Thread: Chinese lathe
27/02/2021 07:37:37

The correct way to do sometthing varies between engineers and bogmatism doesn' t help. Nor does the blanket condemnation of products from China. The work produced on them gives the lie to that. A Myford is a thousand pounds and fifteen hundred with a new coat of paint but it might be knackered and how is a beginner to know? The Chinese equivalent needs work, all of which is explained in many tutorial videos, freely available. It is new and half the price. Accessories are readily and cheaply available and their availability brings many people into the hobby, most of whom don't have the space, money nor skills to get the best out of a ton and a half of toolroom lathe.

Thread: Would this improve the quality of signal to a CNC machine?
26/02/2021 20:20:08

Sheer twaddle. Electrons aren't fussy.

Thread: Starting out a young enthusiast
26/02/2021 17:20:20

Given a piece of tinplate, a drill and a soldering iron, you can fold up a simple boat. Find a coil of brake pipe to make a coil with two ends like a hairpin . The coil sits in the middle of the boat and the ends poke out through holes drilled in the stern , just below the waterline. Use a bottle top and some meths soaked cotton wool to heat the coil. This makes the simplest of steam driven boats . A Myford will come in at a good thousand pounds these days but a Chinese mini lathe will be around half of that new and £300-350 used. Spend a few months learning how to make it work well and by then, your son will have amassed enough engineering understanding in his head and hands to be able to make a wobbler engine which can be run on air at first until the skills are acquired to make a boiler. Mamod engines can be found for around £25 in rough but functional condition. Probably the very best present a steam enthusiast could receive at a young age.

Thread: The art of the con...
26/02/2021 17:03:39

The upper classes do not join the police. They employ them in order to protect the haves from the have nots. Years ago, it was considered a good and charitable thing to give our old computers to developing nations. The recipients, not burdened by the pressures of life in the more developed world, studiously embraced the machines and became very proficient in their use. This made them adept at working cyber cons and redistributed many millions of poundes from the gullible to the dishonest.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
25/02/2021 18:48:01

Put the new lathe in its unopened box behind the motorbike, the bits of which are currently occupying the required space. The engine will be rebuilt over the next week and then the fun can begin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate