By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sources of decent quality ER25 Imperial Collets
02/05/2023 17:23:35

As Neil and Jason have eluded to, 1/4", 3/8", & 1/2" will probably be all you'll need. Or, you could always go searching for that elusive "third hand".

Thread: Leak from pressure pump/nut
29/04/2023 12:34:28

Hi Mash,

Another vote for Base Camp.

Thread: Asset Security Marking
24/04/2023 14:55:27
Posted by Samsaranda on 24/04/2023 14:03:31:

Hi Bosun

The postcode did include the house number so it was obviously easy using their resources for the Police to get our phone number, we had recent contact with our local Bobby because a number of cats in the area had been attacked and injured, ours included, so our details were recorded. Dave W

Query solved. Thank you.

24/04/2023 11:20:46

Bikes should be stamped with the postcode and house number. The pair identify the address.

10 SW1A 2AA is 10 Downing Street, London

Dave

Yes SOD, that's the only way I can see postcode identification working.

24/04/2023 09:29:11
Posted by Bazyle on 23/04/2023 21:46:52:
Posted by Bo'sun on 23/04/2023 18:40:26:

How did the Police know to contact you? Postcodes normally cover multiple properties. p

Because you reported the theft to the police so when the item is found in a location that does not match they look it up and find the string of burglaries reported for your area with lists of items. The half ton lathe gone from the area is probably unique to you.

Hi Bazyle, I can see that would likely work with a reported burglary, but in this case, the bike does't appear to have been reported to the police. I can't see the police knocking on every door allocated with that postcode just to rehome a bike.

23/04/2023 18:40:26

Hi Samsaranda,

How did the Police know to contact you? Postcodes normally cover multiple properties.

p

23/04/2023 09:52:59

Hi DiogeneseII,

"SmartWater" works quite well, although I think it's called something different now. Or maybe just administered by someone else.

Item 3) might be your biggest issue though.

Thread: Simple question (I think)
21/04/2023 12:47:21

Thanks Guys,

The reason I ask is: I was reminiscing through some old FMC Trade School log books, and I came across some of my notes from the Standards Room Instructor, who said the curvature on the reference level vial, which I recall as being about 24" long, was equal to the curvature of the earth. It just got me wondering as these things often do.

21/04/2023 11:56:12

Good morning All,

Do regular/domestic spirit levels have curved vials?

Thread: Is this a Warco / Metric thing...or am I just out of date?
18/04/2023 15:38:51

Hello Paul,

I think I prefer the actual tool movement, although I'm getting used to the total reduction WM250.

What I am struggling with though, is the 0.04mm graduations.

Thread: Cutting teeth in handsaws
18/04/2023 12:48:21

Hello jaCK,

Have a look at the Paul Sellers website where he does just that. "recutting and resizing saw teeth".

Thread: Remotely oiling a workshop of line shaft machinery
18/04/2023 10:54:38

Good morning Rainbows,

I don't know if any of these companies still exist, but they all provided "centralized lubrication systems" some time ago.

Tecalamit, Lumatic, Bielomatic & Trabon.

Yes, HGV's would be a good start, but don't forget the AG industry with Combine Harvesters, Forage Harvesters & Balers, etc. Not to mention production machinery.

Good luck. Preserving the past deserves it!

Thread: End Mill chamfering bit, 90deg
13/04/2023 14:41:47

Thanks again for the suggestions guys,

I'm going to try a 1/2" shank 90deg. router bit. Should be rigid enough I think.

Thread: Flash-Flash-Flash... Turn The *&^&%$ Thing Off!
12/04/2023 09:49:39

DITTO. GET RID OF IT!!!

Thread: End Mill chamfering bit, 90deg
10/04/2023 17:30:28

Thanks guys,

I knew someone would know a source.

10/04/2023 16:51:36

Afternoon All,

Anyone know where I can buy a 12mm dia, 90deg. chamfering end milling cutter?

The usual UK sources don't appear to stock them, and that well known on-line store has plenty,, but they're all located in China.

i ca

Thread: Cleaning morse taper sockets
06/04/2023 13:19:00
Posted by Martin Johnson 1 on 06/04/2023 13:00:46:

When you have the lathe set up to cut a morse taper, run off a few bits of dowel to make cleaning tools. Glue on some chammy leather for a deluxe version. It really isn't difficult if you think ahead.

Martin

Maybe a small business opportunity for some enterprising individual.

06/04/2023 10:00:19

I've found specific morse taper cleaners on various sites consisting of a tapered tool with segments of felt glued on, but they seemed quite expensive for what they were. However, I don't think they'd be any good for removing rust.

Thread: Replacement nuts for lathe chuck
22/03/2023 13:22:19

Flange nuts from a tee nut clamping system work fine for me.

Thread: What is this surface table used for
20/03/2023 11:16:25

Looks like an expensive (even more so) Festool MFT cutting station.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate