By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Between centres boring bar bit grinding
23/05/2022 15:18:31

Thank you

Thread: Model Turbines
23/05/2022 12:23:14
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/05/2022 10:52:09:

That’s probably what it will feel like, John surprise

50 min appointment, preparing for a Crown

MichaelG.

We have gone decimal now and the prices have gone up a fair bit.

Thread: Between centres boring bar bit grinding
23/05/2022 12:22:27

Sounds interesting, who is GHT? (Although I suspect I know the answer...)

Thread: Chris Deith
23/05/2022 09:40:10

Very sorry to hear this. Best wishes.

Thread: Model Turbines
23/05/2022 06:47:49

Interesting. I wonder at what speed those dental drill ball bearings give up!

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
19/05/2022 20:05:46

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M109BREECH.JPG

Looks like the technique is still the same now!

Thread: Oil can (again)
19/05/2022 19:09:13

Although I think a lot of people are very pleased with their Reilangs, there are a few dissenting voices. I see one chap on this forum ended up making a new seal arrangement.

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2022
19/05/2022 14:52:21

Excellent work, thanks for the information.

Thread: Oil can (again)
19/05/2022 13:56:12

I buy old Wesco cans cheap on ebay, clean them out then solder on attachments suitable for the requirement. I have a row of them for each job in hand, total cost about £25. They are not pretty but its very handy. Only one of the lot needed any tweaking to make it work, every other one worked as soon as fresh clean oil was pumped through a couples of squirts.

The one with a cone on for the myford nipples is a godsend.

Thread: Tyres
12/05/2022 23:32:29

Aircraft too, but that was less to do with efficiency and more to do with safety.

Thread: Code of Conduct
12/05/2022 22:22:13
Posted by Mike Poole on 12/05/2022 18:31:34:

A trip to our stores as an apprentice was likely to result in being enveloped in a cloud of French chalk or a soaking, there would be trouble these days. The world seems to have had a very successful sense of humour bypass.

Mike

Is it a sense of humour bypass? I've never found humiliating someone very witty. Obviously I don't have a sense of humour.

Pratical jokes on apprentices seemed to be more commonplace when our workplace was a government agency, as soon as we were made a company and profit became important wasting time was taken a bit more seriously by managers.

Thread: Researching Godalming's Old (Goods) Railway Station
12/05/2022 21:04:13

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=13&lat=51.18896&lon=-0.61291&layers=1&right=BingHyb

I've spent many a happy hour trawling through the National Library of Scotlands maps on this page. Change the drop down menus at the top to change the reference maps (don't forget to change the country, there are many options that unexpectedly work).

Edited By Jon Lawes on 12/05/2022 21:04:28

Thread: Sealing Brass?
11/05/2022 20:44:21

We used Incralac for brass letters on the stern of a boat; they have retained their polish nicely with no sign of cracking or crazing yet, and its been on there longer than I can remember.

Thread: Anyone know what these are called?
10/05/2022 02:36:44

I put it through Google Image Search and it just called it a paper Polyhedron.

https://deceptivelyeducational.blogspot.com/2014/02/paper-polyhedron.html

Thread: Tyres
09/05/2022 19:34:07

Bit of a sweeping generalisation there. Maybe if yours is a bit of a cowboy outfit they just fill it without checking the pressure.

Thread: Small (9cm x 9cm) home-made CNC plasma table
09/05/2022 13:18:50

As I sit in my UK Rabbit Hutch my jealousy doesn't extend to just the plasma cutter.

Thread: Tools needed to build a 3 1/2in gauge Tich
06/05/2022 12:14:09
Posted by John MC on 06/05/2022 11:53:22:

I would agree that joining an ME society would be a good, didn't work for me all those years ago but thats another story.......

Our club runs sessions for novices which is very useful; I think if the club has the right mindset (and realises that without young members there will be no club) it's a very supportive environment

Thread: Advice on piping up to a 5"G steam locomotive whistle
06/05/2022 10:35:23

I should imagine the water will be gone within a fraction of a second of hitting the valve. As long as you have a slight inclination to the whistle itself to facilitate draining I think it would be ok?

Mine clears fairly rapidly with a few horizontal sections, albeit no u-bends.

Thread: Tools needed to build a 3 1/2in gauge Tich
06/05/2022 09:02:05

Hi Steven,

Can I suggest you get yourself along to your local model engineering society? Most are able to assist with tools (for example I don't often use metal rolls, but our club has some members are free to use). Most model engineering societies are delighted to see new members, especially those lucky enough to be starting young!

My Model engineering society is Westbury, Wiltshire (the WWSME), if you can get your parents to bring you along to ours or one like it you would certainly be made most welcome, given assistance, and find a good source of cheap second hand tools.

Edited By Jon Lawes on 06/05/2022 09:02:18

Thread: Roolo Elf lathe
05/05/2022 12:35:55

Earn it's keep doing what?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate